Delayed
08:30 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
09:50 Truro to Falmouth Docks
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 05, 2024, 09:33:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Something different !
[103] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[97] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[90] Champion to Westbury
[78] Walking between stations
[73] Just how big is the gap to mind?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail users alliance wants big changes to the Hereford - Shrewsbury line  (Read 4240 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 14, 2015, 00:16:29 »

From the Hereford Times:

Rail users alliance wants big changes to the Hereford-Shrewsbury line

Service now handling 3.5 million passenger journeys faces review

With over 3.5 million journeys now taken on the rail link between Hereford and Shrewsbury, a users group is long overdue.

Now, such a group has arrived in the guise of the Marches Rail Users Alliance (MRUA).

And MRUA has wasted little time in signalling its intentions.

This week, ahead of a review of Arriva Trains Wales as the operating franchise, MRUA has identified four key issues with the line that it is ^keen to discuss^ with Arriva, the Department for Transport and the Welsh Assembly.

They are:

1. Provision of an hourly stopping train between Hereford and Shrewsbury

At present, says MRUA, the pattern is irregular with a ^considerable imbalance^ at certain times of the day.

Examples are cited as a gap from Church Stretton to Shrewsbury between 1504 and 1655 and another between 0938 and 1138 southbound from Craven Arms to Hereford.

MRUA wants an hourly stopping train interspersed with faster limited stop services.

2. Capacity Management

Members of MRUA^s constituent groups find increasing overcrowding on certain trains.

MRUA wants most trains to be made up of three cars with additional capacity to meet the heavier passenger flows.

3. Connections

MRUA has picked up on frustration at apparent poor connections at Hereford (for the Worcester line), Shrewsbury (for Wolverhampton and Birmingham) and Newport (for London and the West).

Passengers at smaller stations are said to face waiting areas that are ^very basic^ and a cafe at Hereford that closes at 18.00 when the station is still busy.

4. Integration for onward travel

MRUA says this could be improved at most stations at modest cost and in some cases may be deterring travel.

Cited as examples of scope for improvement are: pedestrian approaches at Hereford and Ludlow, car parking at Leominster and  bus service information generally.

MRUA represents an alliance of the Rail User groups along the high capacity rail link between Hereford and Shrewsbury, which has a population of 200,000 living within easy distance of six stations.

Current rail use is high with over 3.5 million trips made into or out of Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow, Craven Arms, Church Stretton and Shrewsbury and passenger numbers have increased because of  early improvements by Arriva Trains Wales.

But MRUA says the service provided has not kept up with this growth.

MRUA chairman Professor Leslie Lumsdon said: "Given the continued annual fare rises, we deserve better. It is important for passengers to make their views known to the train operating company and others responsible for delivering our rail service. These views can be fed through to the companies interested in bidding for the Wales and Borders franchise in 2018."

Responses to the issues raised by MRUA can be put to its secretary Ian Slater, at mrua@slateri17.freeserve.co.uk or Prof Lumsdon at leslumsdon@hotmail.com or 01584 877588.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 16:31:51 »

Poor connections to London at Newport? What, like a direct train every half hour?  Huh

All opinions are my own.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 17:01:06 »

Poor connections to London at Newport? What, like a direct train every half hour?  Huh

If my memory serves me correctly, the connection times are rather tight between the trains arriving from the Marches and those London bound and I suspect this is perhaps the issue rather than the frequency of the service to London.

It does also mention Newport connections in the context of 'to the West', so they could well be referring to connections through Bristol to the West Country also. Then it is just an hourly service to/via Temple Meads.

At least they're well intentioned and trying to improve things!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 18:34:28 »

Good for them. The rural stations between Hereford and Shrewsbury, particularly Craven Arms and Church Stretton, seem to lose out every time ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) adjusts their long distance timetable.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 19:17:44 »

It does also mention Newport connections in the context of 'to the West', so they could well be referring to connections through Bristol to the West Country also. Then it is just an hourly service to/via Temple Meads.
My bold. I thought it was half-hourly to Temple Meads from Cardiff (1tph Portsmouth and 1tph Taunton)?

Quote from: herefordtimes.com
1. Provision of an hourly stopping train between Hereford and Shrewsbury
The current Marches service is I believe roughly an hourly Carmarthen-Swansea-Manchester and a 2-hourly Cardiff-Shrewsbury-Chester-Holyhead. In my view, rather than add an extra Hereford-Shrewsbury shuttle, the hourly Manchester should be a limited stop service and the Cardiff-Shrewsbury leg of the Holyhead train should be made hourly and stop at all the existing stations.

Supprised the full quote didn't mention it, but there is/was a proposal for an additional hourly service between Cardiff and Abergavenny, which might one day serve new stations (eg. Caerleon). Personally, I think that should run through to Hereford so that connections can be made with the Worcester line.

Quote from: herefordtimes.com
2. Capacity Management

Members of MRUA^s constituent groups find increasing overcrowding on certain trains.

MRUA wants most trains to be made up of three cars with additional capacity to meet the heavier passenger flows.
I really think having nothing but 2 and 3-car trains on the Swansea-Cardiff-Manchester route is massively inadequate, but ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) don't have any spare stock to deal with it since they sold their mrk2 coaches. That and the fact it currently runs through to Carmarthen and Milford Haven, where 2 or 3-car is understandable.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:25:06 »

If my memory serves me correctly, the connection times are rather tight between the trains arriving from the Marches and those London bound and I suspect this is perhaps the issue rather than the frequency of the service to London.

Yep, that's how I read it too.....but it's unlikely that they can have good timely connections at both ends (Newport/Shrewsbury) unless the length of end-to-end journey fits exactly!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: