Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 03 May 2024
* Mind the gap - but when does the gap become a 'death trap'?
- Train strikes: How May's disruption affects you
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
07:23 Carmarthen to London Paddington
08:15 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:56 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 10:12:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[143] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[61] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[59] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW may get "NEW" stock for Bristol area  (Read 21170 times)
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 22:32:03 »

Rumour in the north of the area is that we are to get several 150/1 (non front gangwayed ) units.  Anyone travelling frequently in the Brizzle area will already have experienced these as we currently have 2 or 3 in service, (green and blue paint job with a slam crew door).

Although the current units have 3+2 seating, a refurb could render the 'new' stock similar to existing 150/2s.  From a guard's point of view, they have nice big cabs, but can only be worked from cab ends, which would be a PIA with 3 car configuration on busy trains.

fGW have 2 150/1s, 150121 & 150127.

Aspley Annie and Silverlink Sally. The former though, is a pile of Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa.  I had heard that there was another hiding out at Landore, but that was only a rumour. Huh

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 22:53:43 by G.Uard » Logged
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 12:13:38 »

Aspley Annie and Silverlink Sally. The former though, is a pile of Charlie Romeo Alpha Papa.  I had heard that there was another hiding out at Landore, but that was only a rumour. Huh

Grin Saw the 'MAX SPEED 75MPH' adaptation the first day she arrived at SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)), along with some rather worrying Burning smells in one of the saloons which turned out to be an underfloor heater that had been switched on for the first time in several years so it seemed!!

It would appear that somebody has got their wires crossed somewhere, as there is definitely not anything hiding in Landore!!

The remaining LORL (Silverlink) 150/1s are the following:

150120  LO  WN      52120         57120    'Gospel Oak - Barking 2000'
150123  LO  WN      52123         57123    'Willesden TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot)'
150128  LO  WN      52128         57128    'Bedford-Bamberg 30'
150129  LO  WN      52129         57129    'Marston Vale'
150130  LO  WN      52130         57130    'Bedford - Bletchley 150'
150131  LO  WN      52131         57131    'LESLIE CRABBE'

As far as i know, we are to receive all of them when LORL get their new-build Class 172s later this year.

As 'smithy' says the 150/1 indeed to not have intermediate door controls, as where they currently operate this has never been a requirement due to the guards rarely leaving their 'back cabs'. I don't blame them either  Undecided Shocked
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:18:17 by Sprog » Logged
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 14:30:11 »

Rumour in the north of the area is that we are to get several 150/1 (non front gangwayed ) units.  Anyone travelling frequently in the Brizzle area will already have experienced these as we currently have 2 or 3 in service, (green and blue paint job with a slam crew door).

Although the current units have 3+2 seating, a refurb could render the 'new' stock similar to existing 150/2s.  From a guard's point of view, they have nice big cabs, but can only be worked from cab ends, which would be a PIA with 3 car configuration on busy trains.

fGW have 2 150/1s, 150121 & 150127.

Been informed that both, plus any other we recieve from London Midland and LORL (formerly Silverlink), are to be 'refreshed' soon, possibly in-house to a simlar standard to the fGW 150/2s.

The Class 143s, once refreshed, are going to be allocated to Exeter depot once the short-term lease 142s are returned, so that the 'pacer' fleet has a dedicated home depot (proved by the excellent work they have done on the 142 fleet, which are no reaching 6,500 MPC (Miles Per Casualty)! - better than ANY od the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) classes in the Wessex Trains era.). In turn, SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) will be allocated half of Exters 150s to lighten their already high workload.

The eventual plan is to use the 150/1s on the Bristol local services etc, whilst keeping the 142/143s in Devon.

sprog

no offence intended but i would check your info as i am sure in wessex days the mpc was far better than now,although saying that things do appear to be finally improving.one thing i would say though is the mpc figure for the 150 fleet has nose dived over the past 12 months the only explanation is since the majority of the work is now done on spm and not exeter.

on another note i see you work at spm? as train crew i find it really annoying when defects that are booked either get next exam attention or team leader informed put in the book,it is things like this that cause failiures as crew see this and then think if the depot cannot be bothered then neither can we and fail the train.there has been times when it has turned out to be something stupid causing the fault that took a couple of minutes to sort out by station or mobile fitters yet on depot nothing has been done.
are you able to give us an insight in to what happens on depot and why seemingly simple repairs are constantly left?
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 21:03:16 »

are you able to give us an insight in to what happens on depot and why seemingly simple repairs are constantly left?

Where do i start!?

Materials, Time, Man power, Facilities

I have not got time to give a comprehensive reply to the rest of your post right now 'smithy', but i will in due course.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 13:22:29 »

no offence intended but i would check your info as i am sure in wessex days the mpc was far better than now,although saying that things do appear to be finally improving.one thing i would say though is the mpc figure for the 150 fleet has nose dived over the past 12 months the only explanation is since the majority of the work is now done on spm and not exeter.

Wrong....

The MPC (Miles Per Casualty) under Wessex was always poor. I don't think any class of unit ever achieved over 4500mpc consistently for any measurable period of time. Most of this was down to issues at Canton. Exeter only ever did FPX, 'A' exams and reblocking on 15x except 153's. All other major exams were undertaken at 'Canton Car Sheds'.

Trundling gently round the SW
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 14:52:29 »

Wrong....

The MPC (Miles Per Casualty) under Wessex was always poor. I don't think any class of unit ever achieved over 4500mpc consistently for any measurable period of time. Most of this was down to issues at Canton. Exeter only ever did FPX, 'A' exams and reblocking on 15x except 153's. All other major exams were undertaken at 'Canton Car Sheds'.

Agreed...

Wessex never had a chance in that direction. One only has to look at SWT (South West Trains) and Salisbury to see the benefit of having an in-house depot and dedicated allocation of units.

FGW (First Great Western) have been plesantly surprised that 142's at Exeter have responded in the same way. Considering how unpromising the condition of the units was at the start.

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 19:27:33 »

Wrong....

Agreed...

Wessex never had a chance in that direction. One only has to look at SWT (South West Trains) and Salisbury to see the benefit of having an in-house depot and dedicated allocation of units.

FGW (First Great Western) have been plesantly surprised that 142's at Exeter have responded in the same way. Considering how unpromising the condition of the units was at the start.

Indeed. The 142's have been turning out around 6500mpc, which bearing in mind the failure rate was measured in yards rather than miles during the first week of squadron service last December is no mean achievement and a tribute to the fitting staff at Exeter depot. As you say 'Mini-Salisbury' effect. The Exeter crews seem to have mastered the occasional irritating faults very well too and can usually overcome minor problems without undue delay. Whether it might be termed 'esprit de corps' or 'comrades in adversity' the 142 operation has surprised many (including it has to be said, me!).

It should be remembered that as well as being the principle DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) depot on FGW, SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) also has a key role in the delivery of the HST (High Speed Train) service as well. It should also be remembered that a lot of the more irritating faults on 14x/15x that occur out on the road never seem to manifest themselves on the depot, thus giving the impression that nothing has been done on the depot overnight. There are now however several travelling technicians riding around on the units to overcome this issue. There are of course only limited hours to do the various exams of safety critical equipment, thus sometimes items are deferred until a more major exam (requiring a day or more out of service) fall due, thus making best use of the limited resource that is known as FGW West rolling stock. It should be remembered that the 150/2's are still undergoing refurbishment, this I suspect is due to the condition into which they had been allowed to deteriorate by the previous franchise holder.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 10:49:10 »

The SprinterMeister makes a very good point about the advantages of a dedicated depot looking after a single type of unit. If Exeter can keep up 6500mpc for their 142s, or even better it, then they should be in-line for one of Roger Ford's spanners he awards each year (December/January Modern Railways) for best performing depots.

The problem is that the "bus orientated bean counters" in First 's HQ (Headquarters) only look at overall costs of maintenance and small dedicated depots like Exeter are always likely to cost more per unit than large depots such as SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)). They are incapable of working out the "value" getting more mpc in terms of goodwill and even possibly attracting more passengers when the travelling public find that their train is more likely to run and reach its destination without failing.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 14:12:51 »

Wrong....

i stand corrected

maybe it seemed higher then as we had more stock in those days to replace knackered sets with?

there is still a long way to go before we are anywhere near as good as salisbury depot (i heard a rumour fgw want our 158's better than swt 159's) not possible in my opinion.when i have reported set faults control have said they will try to get set to exeter as it stands more chance of being repaired first time,make of that what you will.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 17:24:37 »

I stand corrected

maybe it seemed higher then as we had more stock in those days to replace knackered sets with?

there is still a long way to go before we are anywhere near as good as salisbury depot (i heard a rumour fgw want our 158's better than swt 159's) not possible in my opinion.when i have reported set faults control have said they will try to get set to exeter as it stands more chance of being repaired first time,make of that what you will.

Exeter was more likely to effect repairs than Canton during the Wessex era, it was always a distinct possibility that the unit would come off Canton with the initial fault fixed but several new faults to take its place.

We had rather more 150/2's in those days, personally I think whoever thought it was a winner to keep the 8 x 143 on FGW (First Great Western) and pack 8 perfectly operational and entirely serviceable ex-Wessex 150/2's off to South Wales for Valley Lines / Grumbly Gasworks services wants putting up a wall and shooting. The 8 143's should have gone, thus concentrating the entire class on Canton.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 17:29:32 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 19:15:43 »

(i heard a rumour fgw want our 158's better than swt 159's)
Cheesy No chance. My reason for saying that is SWT (South West Trains) 159s were in much better condition to start with after lots of TLC (three letter code ) at Salisbury from the time they came into service back in the early 90s. The three car 158s which became 159s from TPX a couple of years back were given such a major refurb they came out almost as good as new. I think I'm right in saying that though FGW (First Great Western) 158s were refurbed to a good standard at wabtec, it wasn't as major a refurb as the 158s that SWT took from TPX received.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 19:18:20 »

It was done to the same spec apart from First Class in SWT (South West Trains) varietys AFAIAA!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 19:19:13 »

We had rather more 150/2's in those days, personally I think whoever thought it was a winner to keep the 8 x 143 on FGW (First Great Western) and pack 8 perfectly operational and entirely serviceable ex-Wessex 150/2's off to South Wales for Valley Lines / Grumbly Gasworks services wants putting up a wall and shooting. The 8 143's should have gone, thus concentrating the entire class on Canton.
Yes it was a great shame that FGW let 8 of their 150/2s go, probably under orders from DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about). Still we got 5 of them back whilst we wait for LM (London Midland - recent franchise) to let some 150/1s go.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 19:24:11 »

It was done to the same spec apart from First Class in SWT (South West Trains) varietys AFAIAA!
but not the air con!?!?!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 19:29:18 »

I imagine the SWT (South West Trains) 158s had the German System where as most FGW (First Great Western) have the original BR (British Rail(ways))!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: