10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 12:49:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[275] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[81] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[74] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[59] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] underground plans for Bristol update.
[15] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1057368 times)
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: December 16, 2014, 13:09:20 »

The ex FG Andrew Haines has been Chief Exec of the CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about) since 2009.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1051 on: December 17, 2014, 01:02:12 »

For further information on the Coffee Shop forum, see also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1215.msg31086#msg31086  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 08, 2015, 21:12:21 »

On my first trip into London today (THA-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) since the Christmas break and noticed quite a few of those circular piles in evidence sticking out of the ground trackside between Reading and Theale, and also a few between Theale and Aldermaston. The work is spreading!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 09, 2015, 13:49:01 »

On my first trip into London today (THA-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) since the Christmas break and noticed quite a few of those circular piles in evidence sticking out of the ground trackside between Reading and Theale, and also a few between Theale and Aldermaston. The work is spreading!

A few OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") seeds, a little fertilizer and plenty of water  Smiley  oh and a crane and a naffin big hammer Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 09, 2015, 17:12:50 »

From GetReading

Network Rail had admitted to a Reading MP (Member of Parliament) that replacing decades-old infrastructure during the electrification process could cause more cancellations and delays.

Reading East MP Rob Wilson has published the letter from Patrick Hallgate, western route managing director at Network Rail which acknowledged problems suffered by rail commuters over the past few months.

Mr Hallgate, writing just before Christmas, does not rule out further problems.

He was responding to a letter from Mr Wilson concerning delays and cancellations around Reading Station in late 2014.

He referred to investment replacing signalling equipment - some 60-years-old - East of Reading and in Slough.

He said; "The most disappointing aspect of the investment this year has been the significant impact that the works have caused on the day-to-day operation.

"We have instigated a piece of work due to report back early January which examined what additional mitigations we can put in place immediately which would reduce the likelihood of these of these occurrences."

He referred to piling work in October which led to Mr Wilson's original letter.

He said: "Whilst we are content that this will reduce the likelihood that there will be further recurrence, we must also be realistic.

"There are 15,000 piles to be placed as part of the electrification programme and just over 1,200 of them are now completed.

"With a number of cables buried for decades, it is likely that at some stage we will cause another problem."

He went on: "The key is to ensure that the 'high risk' cables are treated as such, with additional mitigations applied to them and work carried out at a less disruptive point in time where possible."

He added: "Whilst our general asset performance for the inner Thames Valley has improved over the past six months, I appreciate this is scant consolation to those caught up in disruption. "We have been having less incidents, but they are causing increasing amounts of delay."

Commenting on his letter Mr Wilson said: ^m pleased that Network Rail acknowledges the impact that problems on the rail network have had on passengers and that action will be taken to lessen the impact of future disruption.

"I welcome the news that the re-signalling to the east of Reading will be completed by Easter, as well as pledge of additional mitigation, especially in high risk areas.

^It^s clear that the transformational changes taking place require massive upgrades to the current network ^ indeed this Government is overseeing the biggest investment in the railways since the Victorian era.

^It is therefore inevitable that errors will occur from time-to-time, however limiting the frequency of disruption and dealing with delays and cancellations effectively is absolutely imperative.

"During the latter months of 2014 the performance at times was completely unacceptable and this must be rectified.

^Apologies and acknowledgements of error cannot absolve poor performance; what commuters expect is an efficient, punctual service and that is something I will continue to push for.

"I hope that this will indeed be the case from now on and I will continue to liaise with Network Rail and First Great Western, feeding back to my constituents at every possible opportunity.^

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 09, 2015, 23:52:36 »

A few OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") seeds, a little fertilizer and plenty of water  Smiley  oh and a crane and a naffin big hammer Grin

This would give a new slant to electrification being "green". There are a number of straight stemmed trees strong enough for catenary support, with stiffening. It would certainly be much cheaper just to plant trackside seeds every 50m; by the time DfT» (Department for Transport - about) got round to approving the wiring, they would be to full height.

OTC
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 11, 2015, 10:29:07 »

Is the new office and sidings on the north side of the track just East of Swindon station to do with electrification?
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 11, 2015, 15:00:40 »

Yes, it's where the HOOP factory train lives:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23317641
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 11, 2015, 15:31:52 »

Just saw the HOPS (formerly HOOP) unit as we passed through Swindon from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). This is the first time in quite a few months that I have done the journey, and so much has changed!

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 11, 2015, 18:07:33 »

Yes, it's where the HOOP factory train lives:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23317641

...hmmm not so sure about that.  I thought the electrification 'factory' was on the South side of the line near Highworth Junction.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 12, 2015, 14:54:45 »

Ah! You could be right about the South side, thinking about it. I have definitely seen electrification equipment between Bruce Street bridges and the Highworth junction on the South and that's probably what I was thinking of.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 16, 2015, 18:01:00 »

Bit of news from an engineering update I've seen:

The HOPS train should start its first wiring runs in February, and the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) test section, between Didcot and Tilehurst, is on time to be energised in August 2015.  That follows the IEP's arrival from Japan in March, testing at Old Darby from April and ECML (East Coast Main Line) testing between April and October, so we might just see an IEP doing testing runs on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) before the end of the year.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 16, 2015, 18:38:14 »

Test runs at quiet times between Paddington and Airport Junction before then perhaps?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1063 on: January 16, 2015, 18:51:06 »

I for one will be pleasantly surprised....but I doubt it.

Not due off the East Coast until October
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 16, 2015, 20:21:10 »

Test runs at quiet times between Paddington and Airport Junction before then perhaps?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when?

The Didcot / Tilehurst will enable daytime test runs, the tests are I believe for ATP (Automatic Train Protection) also to allow some test on the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") fault protection system (which for GWEP (Great Western Electrification Program) is new a novel IEC 61850 based system ie it ain't been used anywhere else in the world for rail OLE traction complete with Goose messages  Shocked )

From my informed sources  Cool the wires will be up however there is likely to be some "fine tuning" once the test runs are complete.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: