15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
14:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:48 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 16:15:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[197] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[99] June to December 2024 Timetables
[71] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: So what other HST's should call at Maidenhead at peak times?  (Read 13637 times)
James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 17:17:49 »

Well thats the issue of not having passing loops on the Mains at Slough and Maidenhead, i guess. Wink

I'm not sure where you're quoting me from, James ... I don't think I have said that anywhere; it's not my view that there should be side loops on the mains to allow non-stop trains to pass semi fasts.

Putting extra stops in to cover more stations at peak time especially doesn't make sense as it will lead to more overcrowding - I posted the maths of that in an earlier post when we were talking about why there's a gap at Surbiton, and I don't recall seeing any answer suggested to that.   We've explored the idea of extra stops, and the consensus is that it will overcrowd and irritate - unless anyone has any new points, shall we move on?

That quote was my own grahame, however i didn't know how to remove it, so i apologise for that. If you feel this thread should move on then i am happy for it to end there yes.

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 17:40:09 »

As I said, the relief lines are FULL too. There are simply no slots available to do your suggestion.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 17:55:26 »

That quote was my own grahame, however i didn't know how to remove it, so i apologise for that. If you feel this thread should move on then i am happy for it to end there yes.

No problem, James: purely in the interests of clarity for future readers of this particular topic, I've amended the quote marks in your original post. CfN.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
James

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 17:57:59 »

As I said, the relief lines are FULL too. There are simply no slots available to do your suggestion.

Sorry, yes you did say that before. However what would you suggest if no additional HST (High Speed Train)'s no Turbo's or no Adelante's call at Maidenhead?

To just run slow services and only run the few fast avaliable trains, with more less fast trains in the future?
My question is then why Maidenhead is used for commuter services if a proper decent service cannot be provided.
You have had years to develop a suitable service, anyway we are not getting anyway and i am sorry but the service is getting worse and even more messed up. I feel i cannot put anymore suggests here, that which i find are helpful and may resolve some of the issues Maidenhead commuters face day in and day out. To be honest i am going and on about this so i think i like to finish this thread please.

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
James

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 18:01:21 »

No problem, James: purely in the interests of clarity for future readers of this particular topic, I've amended the quote marks in your original post. CfN.

Thank You Chris for sorting that out. Still trying to learn the art of posting correctly  Grin

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 18:09:02 »

Until the electrification & Crossrail is complete, there simply is no way of getting additional HSTs (High Speed Train) to stop before Reading without threatening the reliability of the current timetable.

Anyone considering commuting to London needs to take this into account, and if they don't like what they currently see, either be prepared to travel very early/late or at least arm yourself with suitable technology to allow early boarding in the evening at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). I rarely fail to get a seat....
James

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 18:30:35 »

Now thats a fair suggestion ChrisB from myself that is, however i have seen from my experience that although you give that good advice not many people will take that on board.
In this day and age everyone is in a rush and no one will bother to check anything, all they want is a fast service at that time, and if theres nothing well then obviously you have a upset commuter.
Also remember it doesn't help anyone if a service is withdrawn with no information given to the commuters in general (not just Maidenhead commuters). You can help yourselves out, by giving out the information at stations via leaflets or posters, and people may give the fgw colleagues a hard time, but at least the information gets out to them.
Its all about being fair with each other, after all there are the commuters, so good customer service should always been provided.

Edited, one example was no information given out at Maidenhead about the withdrawal of the 1948.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 19:31:47 »

Until the electrification & Crossrail is complete, there simply is no way of getting additional HSTs (High Speed Train) to stop before Reading without threatening the reliability of the current timetable.

The other issue - particularly in the morning so far as Maidenhead passengers are concerned - is that many (perhaps most) peak HSTs are already full out of Reading, so if you stop an existing service the best you may get is additional standing space.  In the evening you would have the effect of driving away longer distance passengers - after all I might risk the prospect of standing all the way to Maidenhead, but standing all the way to Swindon (1 hour and 5 minutes) is not what I would contemplate even though I might be pretty sure of getting a seat beyond Reading.

FGW (First Great Western) might take the view that Long distance passengers give them more revenue (particularly as for some reason we pay more per mile not just in total).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 19:38:09 »

Communication is another kettle of fish of course, and I'd be the first to say that all TOCs (Train Operating Company) are capable of better. The example of the 1948 is one that I shall be taking up through the Customer Panel next month. Compared with Reading works, these changes were awfully communicated
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 20:42:06 »

Communication is another kettle of fish of course, and I'd be the first to say that all TOCs (Train Operating Company) are capable of better. The example of the 1948 is one that I shall be taking up through the Customer Panel next month. Compared with Reading works, these changes were awfully communicated

Thanks for picking that one up, ChrisB: from the discussion here on this forum (at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12717.0) we saw that even basic communication with the travelling public is still somewhat lacking in such areas.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 22:08:14 »

The real problems stem back to the late 80's when BR (British Rail(ways)) / Government short changed the Thames Valley services by not buying enough 165.  Personally I find nothing much wrong with the 165's (toilets are the weakest link) the 166's would be better being converted to 165's

The 165 journey time on a non stop service is not much different to an HST (High Speed Train)

By the end of the decade problem will be solved loads of seats from Maidenhead on the 10 car Crossrail trains

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
James

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 23:01:49 »

The real problems stem back to the late 80's when BR (British Rail(ways)) / Government short changed the Thames Valley services by not buying enough 165.  Personally I find nothing much wrong with the 165's (toilets are the weakest link) the 166's would be better being converted to 165's

The 165 journey time on a non stop service is not much different to an HST (High Speed Train)

By the end of the decade problem will be solved loads of seats from Maidenhead on the 10 car Crossrail trains

I think your right about the toilets on the turbos, some can be in such a state as the one a few weeks back that stank right through the whole train on my way from Windsor to Slough.
I agree the turbo is also as fast as a HST, but people don't like the turbo as it's not built for high speed service, its more for a semi fast/stopping sort of service.

Now ChrisB reckons that a different approach to peak times should operate so that everyone gets a fair service (if i am right in saying that). That involves people travelling very early in the morning and late at night.

For that reason here's what i would do.
Between 0600 am and 0659 am these trains would run;
* 0603 Maidenhead to London Paddington, calling at; LONDON PADDINGTON ONLY (TURBO SET (Super Express Train (now IET)))
* 0613 Maidenhead to London Paddington, calling at; Slough, and London Paddington (TURBO SET)
* 0623 Maidenhead to London Paddington, calling at; LONDON PADDINGTON ONLY (ADELANTE SET) This train would then link up to form a service to Great Malvern or Worcester
* 0633 Maidenhead to London Paddington, calling at; Slough, and London Paddington (HST)
* 0643 Maidenhead to London Paddington, calling at; LONDON PADDINGTON ONLY (TURBO SET)
* 0653 Maidenhead to London Paddington, calling at; Slough and London Paddington (HST)
After 0700 am then there would be a half hourly service at these intervals at 03 and 33, calling at Slough and London Paddington (a mixture of trains could operate).
All other trains would link up to form train services from London Paddington.

In the evening the main peak time for Maidenhead commuters would start at 2000 and end at 2059, with trains running every 20 minutes calling at; Slough and London Paddington. before that time a half hourly service would operate.

Otherwise another method would be to ban non london commuters from travelling and have a dedicated only service between 0600 am and 0859 am and between 1700 and 2059. Apart from that i have run out of ideas, good old me hey  Grin

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 23:15:17 »

I agree the turbo is also as fast as a HST (High Speed Train), but people don't like the turbo as it's not built for high speed service, its more for a semi fast/stopping sort of service.

Doesn't that describe the Maidenhead to Paddington service quite well - a semi-fast stopping service.  As I recall the HSTs were designed when most of the trains were supposed to be Paddington, Reading, Bristol TM(resolve) or Paddington, Reading, Bristol PW (Permanent Way), Cardiff.  Places like Didcot, Swindon and Chippenham were to have very few services.  The HSTs were therefore designed for one stop every 30 minutes not for rapid acceleration and deceleration every few minutes. The new engines may have improved their resilience, but fundamentally they are still supposed to be intercity trains.

Reading - Maidenhead - Paddington and Reading - Slough - Paddington are what I would describe as semi-fast services.   

For the record so are Chippenham - Swindon - Didcot - Reading Services - But rationalisation in the 1960's and 70's left them with no alternative but to use HST's for these duties as they had axed all semi-fast and stopping trains. It was fine when the service was infrequent, but then these towns all grew massively and so services had to be increased.  This fact was known to the planners when the HSTs were ordered, but not to BR (British Rail(ways)) or the Ministry of Transport who weren't in a forward looking mood when it came to railways.   
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 11:07:57 »

Maidenhead is too close to London to get fast services - there are just too many stations east of Reading to give everyone the service they want (ie very few stops)

Surbiton has been used as an example - but there are far more stations east of Maidenhead than there are north of Surbiton....the more stations. the fewer fast trains able to be provided. There are also more trains on the GW (Great Western) fast lines than on the SWT (South West Trains) fast lines - thus enabling trains to stop more often on SWT fast lines than on GW fast lines....
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 00:26:47 »

No problem, thats cool.    Tongue

Your analysis is good about giving Slough more train services than Maidenhead, and i see the logic in that (i.e with the branch to Windsor and Slough Trading Estate also added by the local resident commuting force of Slough).
However if First Great Western, would plan to stop the 1622 and 1649 at both Slough and Maidenhead, then this is how it could run (feel like i am repeating myself  Grin)

Just before Slough the 1622 and 1649 should cross the main's onto the relief's and stay on the relief's until say Didcot Parkway. If not the trains could be put back on to the main's after departing Maidenhead. Thus meaning that the fast express trains of the 1630/1633/1645/1700 and 1703 wouldn't get stuck behind the 1622 and 1649 unless something goes wrong.

The timings would be;
1622 arrive at Slough 1638/depart at 1639 then run to Maidenhead arriving at; 1647 and departing 1648, then non stop to Reading arriving at; 1700. Then non stop to  Didcot Parkway arriving there at 1715/1720 departure then arriving Oxford at 1730.

The same applies to the 1649.
It would mean that certain local stopping services may either need to be retimed, or terminate at other destinations, which would conflict with the 1622 and 1649 services from London Paddington.

I am doing this because of the fact that Maidenhead needs better train provision especially at peak times.

1 minute isn't enough time to allow for an HST (High Speed Train) to offload/load and safely dispatch. Try 2 minutes.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: