Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
17:55 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:48 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 17:30:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[93] June to December 2024 Timetables
[66] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 8.34 Maidenhead to Paddington  (Read 13176 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:19 »

This train for the last week or so seems to consistently arrive at Paddington between 5 and 10 minutes late..

It's non stop to Paddingon but swaps over to the mainline at Slough which always delays it a bit..particularly if the stopping service ahead of it is running late as it was this morning so we had to crawl along behind that.. It's a pity it doesn't swap as it pulls out of Maidenhead as the 09.03 does...

Then it quite often slows right down for airport junction and also as we're passing old oak common as well.. sometimes it slows down at other places too for some reason..

I'm assuming it's because of congestion.. I do hope it's not going to be late every day though as it's then a rush to get to my desk by 9.30..

Last week because I had a 9.30 meeting and as it was ten minutes late on that day I ended up having to pay out for a taxi to get me to my meeting on time... Sad
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 16:09:43 »

Well 3 mins of the 7mins delay appears to have been attributed to a cow on the line at Lavington - so basically you were following a late running service. I don't have an answer for the other 4mins
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 16:46:44 »

Following a stopper on the Up Relief to Dolphin is going to delay you.

But I suspect the main problem is Airport Junction. Slough IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) holds it's first signal on the Up Main at Red until the ARS (Automatic Route Setting) calls for a trian on the Up Main. Due to the slow response of the system this usually means the driver gets a double yellow the signal before West Drayton and a single yellow at the end of West Drayton platform which means he has to crawl until he can see the offending signal. It's worse on an HST (High Speed Train) because they are locked down by ATP (Automatic Train Protection) and even if the driver sees a clear signal he can't accelerate until the ATP releases.

I've often been passed on the Up Relief between Slough and Langley by an HST on the main only to pass it between Iver and Hayes. Often when it passes you can tell it's braking.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 16:50:16 »

ARS (Automatic Route Setting)...

...is not what you might think Wink It stands for Automatic Route Setting, and put in slightly simplistic terms is a semi-automatic signalling system that will route trains as the computer thinks best to keep everything on schedule. Signallers can of course intervene if they disagree with it, or when the job has gone down the pan for some reason that means everything's running out of course.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 16:54:38 »

Thanks for the information (and for making me laugh out loud in the office Inspector_Blakey  Cheesy

I'm hoping it improves.. I have a 9.30 meeting Thursday too.. So I bet it's late that day... I can't keep affording taxis though and can't really get an earlier train in term time due to school drop off.. Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 22:46:39 »

Well.... a cow and a dolphin mentioned in the same thread made me titter. That has to be a first for the forum! Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:15 »

11 minutes late today  Angry

The 8.26 stopper departed Maidenhead 4 minutes late so we crawled behind that all the way to Slough.. We finally swapped to the fast line and went through Slough at 08.45 (they are lucky enough to have clocks there  Wink).. Crawled from West Drayton to Hayes and then slowed down again to go past Old oak common...

I'm beginning to suspect this happens every day (well it has for the last 6 anyway)..

Having rushed to get to the station (via 3 schools), missed out on a coffee as there usually isn't time, as the train usually leaves Maidenhead on time, I would quite like it if it stuck to it's timetabled arrival time just occasionally..
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 14:26:16 »

You took 11 minutes from Maidenhead to Slough the stopper is booked 12! Non stops on the Up Relief are booked 7.

So that's at least 4 of your 11 late.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 16:53:26 »

Well yes.. The 8.26 departure is scheduled to get to Slough at 8.38 but obviously that would rely on it departing Maidenhead on time..  Roll Eyes
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 14:22:32 »

Only 6 minutes late today.. all was going ok until about Southall where we decided to slow down to a crawl..
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 12:56:01 »

8 minutes late today  Angry
I only caught this train two days last week and it was ok then.. Back to business as usual this week though..
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 21:51:13 »

7 minutes late today
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 11:54:50 »

This morning we crawled all the way from Maidenhead to approx Southall on the main line.. Does anyone know what happened as we won't have been the only delayed train.. The relief line was the fast line today  Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 17:31:46 »

From FGW (First Great Western) live updates:

17:15 London Paddington to Maidenhead due 18:05
This train will be formed of 3 coaches instead of 3.
Last Updated: 21/10/2010 17:12

Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 20:17:43 »

This morning we crawled all the way from Maidenhead to approx Southall on the main line.. Does anyone know what happened as we won't have been the only delayed train.. The relief line was the fast line today  Wink

Well that delay appears to be a total mystery then.. We were 20 minutes late.. HSTs (High Speed Train) behind us must have been even more delayed.. Strange.. Or is this become the norm so much that 20 minutes delay is nothing these days?  Wink Grin Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: