06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 04:45:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Two forum gatherings in the coming weeks. 24th July and 21st August  (Read 31292 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 22:56:57 »

What a fantastic turnout!

Fully understand your reasons for needing to be on hand next Sunday, grahame.

With a fair wind I should be able to make it for a trip down to Weymouth the week after on the 28th for the 'Summer Sundays' finale.

I really do hope that the powers that be are taking serious note of the untapped market that is out there for improved TransWilts services. Keep up the good work!  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 23:00:27 »

I'm a bit achey after walking from Ashton Court to Clifton via the Suspension Bridge. Twas uphill all the way. Think I knackered young Ollie as well!  Grin
A bit perhaps - not as bad as you though.

Will I attend... I expect so - but this could change at last minute.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 23:09:27 »

Will I attend... I expect so - but this could change at last minute.

You can look after your own jacket this time if you do attend!!!*

*Sorry folks, private joke. Ollie can explain if he likes.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:56 »

Really pleased to hear it has gone so well.  I enjoyed my day out.  Apart from the TWR stalwarts I wonder if anyone has made the trip more than once.  I'm still hoping to get to Maidenhead/Bourne End/Marlow on Sunday but depends on work at the moment.   The perils of self employment!!
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 13:09:34 »

Can't believe I've only seen this today! How bad am I?

I might be able to attend this on Sunday - I'm at a housewarming party in Shepherd's Bush on Saturday and it could go on quite late so that could be interesting!

If I am coming I will probably be on the 10:50 from Ealing Broadway which arrives at Maidenhead at 11:31 - does anyone know which platform at Maidenhead this usually arrives on as it doesn't say on the National Rail site and I don't want to have to leg it in four minutes to platform 5B which it looks like the 11:35 to Marlow will leave from - to be honest I might get an earlier train from EBY like the 10:24 which arrives at Maidanhead at 10:57 just so I have a chance of connecting with the 11:35.

Will let you know later in the week if I'm definitely going to make it - should be a good day out (and a nice cheap one for me with my 16-25 railcard!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 13:31:56 by James Vertigan » Logged
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 15:33:35 »

Can't believe I've only seen this today! How bad am I?

I might be able to attend this on Sunday - I'm at a housewarming party in Shepherd's Bush on Saturday and it could go on quite late so that could be interesting!

If I am coming I will probably be on the 10:50 from Ealing Broadway which arrives at Maidenhead at 11:31 - does anyone know which platform at Maidenhead this usually arrives on as it doesn't say on the National Rail site and I don't want to have to leg it in four minutes to platform 5B which it looks like the 11:35 to Marlow will leave from - to be honest I might get an earlier train from EBY like the 10:24 which arrives at Maidanhead at 10:57 just so I have a chance of connecting with the 11:35.

Will let you know later in the week if I'm definitely going to make it - should be a good day out (and a nice cheap one for me with my 16-25 railcard!)
James assuming the relief lines are open you will come in on Platform 3. So you would have to go under the subway - easily done in 4mins assuming nothing is late Smiley
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 15:44:23 »

James assuming the relief lines are open you will come in on Platform 3. So you would have to go under the subway - easily done in 4mins assuming nothing is late Smiley

Thanks Ollie  Wink Hopefully see you Sunday if you're going to come (or maybe before then if you're working this week!)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 18:28:56 »

Delighted to say Unfortunately I'm not at work until next Monday. Tongue

Currently believe I will be attending on Sunday though.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 21:50:52 »

Soo. anyone else?  Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 21:53:07 »

Me (hopefully).  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 12:20:37 »

For those attending on Sunday, I've just spotted a special offer available at the pub we'll be calling at following the walk from Bourne End, the Marlow Donkey.

They have a typical 'pub grub' menu, as well as Sunday roasts. On their website there is an offer of two free drinks (choice of red/white/ros^ glass of wine, IPA/John Smiths, Fosters/Carling/Carlsberg, or a coke) when two main meals are ordered.

Offer requires registration and printing of a voucher, so can I suggest that attendees print off a voucher and then they can double up with those ordering a meal and bag themselves a free drink.

Bit of a unsubtle hint on my part - I have no working printer at the mo and I'm always on the lookout for a free pint!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 14:40:23 »

Just done the voucher.  The qualifying free drinks are

Fosters, Carling or Carlsberg
IPA or John Smiths
Red, white or rose wine
Coke or Lemonade

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2011, 19:01:37 »

Like Grahame I am heading to Weymouth that day - with the "mandatory" trip from Trowbridge to Swindon first.
Grahame, if you need any help on the day please let me know.  It might enable someone else to join the Thames walk.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:20 »

OK, having purchased tickets I have committed myself to coming on Sunday, but I shan't be held responsible for the state I arrive in following the party I'll be at the night before (more a state of tiredness rather than alcohol, as I don't drink!)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 14:23:36 »

I'll be there sunday

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: