10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 10:41:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[106] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[101] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[81] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[30] underground plans for Bristol update.
[21] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free bus travel on train tickets over ^25 (Launched 1/4/10)  (Read 2173 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2010, 17:24:56 »

Haven't looked at all the details myself yet, but they are located at http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=4872
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:42 »

What's the difference between this and "Plusbus" except that you pay extra for Plusbus?  I looked at the 1st April launch date too and wondered "is this serious" ... but then I recall that 1st April is the franchise anniversary as well.

I'm all for integrated ticketing.   This looks like a good, but small enhancement if it's real.  It's for 6 bus routes/route groups from Temple Meads and 2 from Parkway.  Train journeys must be on a route that's FGW (First Great Western) served (though not necessarily travel on an FGW train). 

Tickets are for sale from station ticket offices or by phone. So does that mean that you can't do it online? That you can't get on the bus at the West of England University and buy an inclusive ticket to London?  And that you can't buy from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) nor from the conductor on the train to upgrade a not-quite-right nearest alternative from a TVM?

SuperBus tickets are valid for tickets where undiscounted (before railcard) fare is 25 pound or more - but not on season tickets or rovers.

As I say - good step. Initially a three month trial.  I hope it is real and goes well; hope that some of the ticket sales limitations can be lifted if it's a success, and the scheme expanded.

I would love to have this - or full PlusBus - available to me.  Get on a bus at the end of my street, connect off it into trains, with the ability to get my ticket for the whole journey from the bus driver.   

Me: "Can I have a day return [from Melksham Spa] to Cribb's Causeway, please"
Driver: "Yes - that will be xx.xx - here's your inclusive ticket. On the back is a note of where to change, and a return timetable"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:02:30 »

Having read the website in a little more detail, it seems like it is aimed at visitors to Bristol who buy their tickets on the day.

They also say that you must start your journey at a FGW (First Great Western) station.  So I'm assuming this is simply just an additional piece of paper that you are given when buying the ticket (perhaps preprinted) which you surrender to the driver or put in the validator on the bus.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:46:41 »

It seems oddly contradictory in parts
A First SuperBus ticket can be obtained when you buy your train ticket at any train station ticket office.

but

You can get a First SuperBus ticket when:
* You travel from a First Great Western station

So ... you can buy the ticket at any station ... but you can only travel from one that's FGW (First Great Western) operated.

If that's really the case, there's a field day of oddities there!  For example, you can buy the ticket at London Paddington, but you can't actually travel from there ... it's a Network Rail station.  For further example, you can use the ticket to travel from Stonehouse (but is the fare high enough?), but you'll have to visit another station first to book, as Stonehouse has a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) but no ticket office; if you're taking a weekend break before going to Bristol on the Monday morning and you're visiting south Devon, you could - according to the web site - even buy your ticket at Kingswear ...  Wink

It's probably "dumbed down" on the FGW web site.   I suspect you could probably buy and use the tickets from Paddington, and that they're available for sale only at stations on the national network.  But ask me if you can travel buy and travel from Swansea, and I would be guessing what the real answer might be.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: