05:25 Maidenhead to Marlow
06:04 Marlow to Maidenhead
etc
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 06, 2024, 05:43:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] Server load - 5th May 2024
[53] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[51] Walking between stations
[48] Something different !
[47] Champion to Westbury
[46] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: National Rail strikes  (Read 26042 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2010, 18:26:50 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Britain's railway watchdog has expressed concerns about radical plans to overhaul the way the network will be maintained in the future.
The Office of the Rail Regulation (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)) said plans to change working practices and introduce new technology from next month could have safety implications.
It has outlined "significant areas of concern" in a letter to Network Rail.
The criticisms come as the rail workers union, the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), begins balloting members on strike action.
The union is unhappy at the changes which could include the loss of up to 1,500 jobs.
The RMT's general secretary, Bob Crow, is calling for an immediate halt to the proposals, which he describes as "dangerous" and which he claims "can only undermine rail safety with lethal consequences".

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 13:02:57 »

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23813528-rail-strike-fear-for-easter-break-as-20000-vote-on-holiday-walkout.do
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 20:15:23 »

Network Rail workers vote to strike

Network Rail maintenance workers have voted in favour of strikes, bringing about the possibility of action over Easter.
The Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)) union said 65% of members voted. Of those, 77% backed industrial action.
The ballot was called over plans to cut up to 1,500 maintenance jobs and change working practices.
The union said it would remain available to talk to Network Rail to avert the strikes.
"Nobody should be under any illusions about just how determined RMT members are to win this dispute and to stop this reckless gamble with rail safety," said RMT general secretary Bob Crow.
Network Rail defended its proposals as modernising the country's railways.
"The way the railway is maintained and operated needs to change," the rail operator said.
"Work practices that date back to the steam age should no longer have a place on a modern railway. We cannot allow the unions to hold this country to ransom."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 13:40:57 »

Network Rail and RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) talk in bid to avert rail strike

Last-ditch talks are being held in a bid to avert the first national rail strike since 1994, which could cause travel disruption over Easter.
The RMT union and Network Rail are meeting at conciliation service Acas.
Both signal workers and maintenance staff belonging to the RMT have voted in favour of walkouts in a row over job cuts and working conditions.
Infrastructure operator Network Rail says most services would be cancelled if a strike was announced.
After the meeting ends, the RMT National Executive will meet to hear from their negotiators and decide what to do.
The union will then issue a statement at about 1630 GMT. It says options for action include a strike and an overtime ban.
Network Rail said talks held on Wednesday had yielded "progress". A spokesman said: "Network Rail is committed to pursuing a negotiated settlement - our door is always open to further discussions."
He added that the firm "will do everything it can to run trains to minimise disruption to passengers" in the event of a strike, adding that its contingency plans were at an "advanced stage".
Negotiations over its plans to cut 1,500 maintenance jobs started this week and also involve the Transport Salaried Staffs Association, which also represents maintenance workers.
The RMT executive will meet after the discussions to decide the union's next move, but when talks were adjourned on Wednesday a spokesman said that a warning of action was premature.
However, BBC transport correspondent Richard Scott said that, if no last-minute deal is reached, strike dates are expected to be announced.
Network Rail manages the track and major stations and wants to change the way maintenance is carried out, doing more of the work at night and at weekends when the rails are less busy.
It has said 1,100 workers have already volunteered for redundancy and the "vast majority" of the cuts will be achieved without resorting to compulsory lay-offs.
The RMT claims passenger safety is being put at risk, something which Network Rail denies.
RMT general secretary Bob Crow said the ballot in favour of strikes demonstrated members' opposition to cuts and to "the assault on jobs and working conditions".

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 17:45:51 »

Strike dates announced: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8586422.stm
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 19:05:28 »

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8586422.stm

Rail workers will take strike action on the four days after Easter in a dispute over jobs and working practices.

Talks between Network Rail and the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) and TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) unions at conciliation service Acas failed to reach agreement.

TSSA supervisors and RMT maintenance workers will walk out from 6-9 April, while RMT signal staff will strike from 0600-1000 and 1800-2200 the same dates.

Infrastructure operator Network Rail had said most services would be cancelled if a strike was announced.

'Public safety'

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said: "RMT negotiators have worked flat-out to try and reach an agreement that protects rail safety, job security and working agreements in the disputes involving signalling and maintenance staff on Britain's railways.

"Despite long hours of talks, we have received nothing concrete from Network Rail that addresses the key issues."

TSSA general secretary Gerry Doherty said the strike was all about "the safety of the travelling public and the safety and security of our members".

The unions said the rail network would be "effectively be closed down" by the industrial action.

There were fears that the strike would be called over Easter, but the unions said they avoided this in order not to disrupt the public over the holiday period.

'Severe impact'

Robin Gisby, Network Rail's director of operations and customer services, disputed the unions' claims that the strike was about safety.

He said: "Britain's railway is safer than ever. The issue of safety is a smokescreen from a union leadership stuck in the steam age.

"Our contingency plans are well advanced and aim to keep as many trains running as possible. But a national rail strike will have a severe impact on services and on Britain."

Transport Secretary Lord Adonis said: "A strike is in no-one's interests and could cause serious disruption to passengers.

"Both sides should seek to resolve this dispute by negotiation and not confrontation and I am urging them to do so."

Well annoyed at this, because I had planned to go to Newton Abbot from April 7th to 10th so from this it looks like I could be hit if "most services will be cancelled", particularly as I had planned to take the 0730 from Paddington. No official word from FGW (First Great Western) website as yet though.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 19:09:35 »

F*** it, I just bought ADV tickets for April 7th. Anyone know where Bob Crow and Gerry Doherty live?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 19:17:29 »

Coinciding with my days off that week, great. Looks like i'll have to drive where I need to go.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 19:34:53 »

Apparently the unions are doing us a favour by not striking over the Easter weekend!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Is it not more likely that they are doing their members a favour by not striking on a double bank holiday weekend when there is the chance to earn some extra dosh?  Angry Angry Angry

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 20:00:45 »

I'd still be suprised if this actually goes ahead!

There is still a lot of time between now and April 6th!

Personally I think it will be called off at the last minute, but hey, I'm regularly wrong!!  Wink Lips sealed

Here, there and Everywhere!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 20:03:11 »

Well I'm relieved for one as I was not looking forward to driving to Gatwick and paying through the nose for a couple of week's parking.

I'm a bit puzzled though, as IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) previous strikes by signallers have not resulted in almost complete closure of the network, with the main lines kept open albeit on a reduced service.

James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 20:11:12 »

Personally I think it will be called off at the last minute, but hey, I'm regularly wrong!!  Wink Lips sealed

Hmm, yes, the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) make it look as if the dates have been finalised and it is definitely going ahead, but I just spoke to FGW (First Great Western) Customer Services (in India, what a surprise!) and they said the dates hadn't been finalised.

They obviously still want to cause some sort of disruption, because if the strikes are confirmed as going ahead at the last minute, this will cause a last minute rush of everyone making alternative arrangements (National Express, etc) - unless FGW are planning to lay on rail replacement road transport... frankly I'd rather have the comfort of a train than a coach - took a National Express from Taunton to Victoria once, not sure I'd want to again!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 21:02:01 »

I agree, there is a lot of will on the part of the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Executive and I am sure the Unions too to get a resolution.  Its no where near as polarised as BA» (British Airways - about) dispute

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 21:12:37 »

Bought an advance ticket for a journey from Cardiff-Birmingham on 8th April - am I entitled to a refund if the service doesnt run and therefore I cant travel??
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 21:14:46 »

In view of recent developments, I've merged a couple of topics here, to provide better continuity of posts.  C.  Cool

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: