Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 06:57:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[94] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[56] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] underground plans for Bristol update.
[36] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[35] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Arriva trains wales v FGW - approach to tickets  (Read 6091 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: March 27, 2008, 20:56:31 »

Ok, this morning I had to go from ludlow to Reading as I didnt have fuel to make worcester

I bought a standard return from ludlow to didcot (where my season kicked in) with the intention of upgrading to first on newport leg.

Somehow, and I know not how, between buying the ticket and getting on the train I lost the outward leg.  When the TM(resolve) did the ticket check and I handed over my ticket wallet, he was confused by my journey - the only ticket was the homeward leg.  He suggested I try to find it and came back after the next stop.  By this time I had realised I'd lost it, so showed him my return and the credit card receipt that proved I'd only bought it this morning so therefore could not have already used it.  He was fine about it and did not make me buy another ticket.

I get on at Newport.

Went to find the TM to explain what had happened  - complete with return leg and CC receipt - and pay for my upgrade.  I did say, look I know I may have to buy a full newport to didcot ticket but this is what happened.  Got treated like a criminal with the attitude - which made me more stubborn that I was not going to.  If he'd have just said, look, I'm sorry, you'll have to pay for a full ticket, I'd have been fine.  In the end I did only have to pay the ^55 for the upgrade but (1) given I sought him out rather than hid and tried to get away with it (2) I had proof of the time of the purchase etc etc etc

Why do FGW (First Great Western) assume people are trying to evade fares and not give the benefit of the doubt.

I thought - I didnt think anything.  I have no idea how it got there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 21:00:27 by Mookiemoo » Logged

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 20:57:55 »

You thought what?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 21:00:45 »

You thought what?

Modified

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Jez

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 21:51:35 »

When im on a FGW (First Great Western) train half the time they dont even have anyone come around to check tickets especially on the 125 trains.  Even when I used the PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) service between Newport and Cardiff at the weekend the ticket inspector didnt bother checking on my return journey.

On ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) though they almost always check tickets.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 21:55:29 »

When im on a FGW (First Great Western) train half the time they dont even have anyone come around to check tickets especially on the 125 trains.  Even when I used the PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) service between Newport and Cardiff at the weekend the ticket inspector didnt bother checking on my return journey.

On ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) though they almost always check tickets.

For your information the PMH-CDF Service is crewed by Arriva Wales staff, so prehaps they operate double standards??

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 22:35:38 »

For your information the PMH-CDF Service is crewed by Arriva Wales staff, so prehaps they operate double standards??

I was under the impression that was coming to an end in the may TT change?  As ATW wanted out.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 22:49:10 »

I was under the impression that was coming to an end in the may TT change?  As ATW wanted out.
I thought it eneded when our units topped being serviced at Cardiff Canton.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:36:00 »

About 2 a day, between Westbury or BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and Cardiff!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:36:43 »

Nope - we didn't have enough crew to do that.

To be quite frank Mookiemoo, you were very lucky that you were let off any of it. You DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) NOT have a valid ticket, so shouldn't of traveled. Yes you had proof of purchese and everything else, but you still didn't actaully have a valid ticket.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:11:23 »

Ah, now that's where discretion comes in Jim.

She did purchase a valid ticket, had a proof of purchase of a valid ticket, and had the RTN portion of that valid ticket. If it was early in the morning there is hardly an opportunity to do Ludlow to Didcot... and back, and back again - so it was certainly up to the TM(resolve) as to whether discretion was used.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:26:24 »

Agree. What would they think in a court of law? Had Mookiemoo acted reasonably given the circumstances she found herself in? Yes. Did she have evidence to support her story. Yes? Was there any intent to avoid paying? No. Was she asking for a "free " ride. No, she was offering to pay again.

The answer's obvious isn't it.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 08:33:05 »

Nope - we didn't have enough crew to do that.

To be quite frank Mookiemoo, you were very lucky that you were let off any of it. You DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) NOT have a valid ticket, so shouldn't of traveled. Yes you had proof of purchese and everything else, but you still didn't actaully have a valid ticket.

The point is - I got railed at. told  should not have got on the train as newport was manned (despite having less than three minutes to connect) and that by rights I should be fined and paying penalties.

If he'd just said, look, sorry, but the rules are this you're going to have to buy another ticket, I'd have done so.

Its not like I hid at the end of the train in the hope he wouldnt find me!

In all other walks of life, people are innocent until proven guilty.  Not in the FGW world.

tramway

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 08:37:47 »

I must admit that ATW staff appear to be, how shall I put it, a bit more 'enthusiastic' with their checks than FGW are.  Grin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 08:40:54 »

She did purchase a valid ticket, had a proof of purchase of a valid ticket, and had the RTN portion of that valid ticket. If it was early in the morning there is hardly an opportunity to do Ludlow to Didcot... and back, and back again - so it was certainly up to the TM(resolve) as to whether discretion was used.

And not only that - when you buy a ticket at ludlow, its a full receipt not a little train ticket.

It was clearly time stamped 10:12 and I got on the 10:20 and had my credit card number on it - proving I had personally bought it 8 minutes before.  Since I was travelling alone, there was no one I could possibly have given my outward to so they could use it whilst I try to scam.

Unless FGW (First Great Western) now run tardis services, 8 minutes is not enough to have made multple journeys.  And since I also had my season in there - it was fairly obvious this is not my normal route so is probably a one off!

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 15:10:36 »

Yes, but as we have all found out - not all 'grippers' have it.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: