18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
02/05/24 00:05 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:35:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arriva trains wales v FGW - approach to tickets  (Read 6088 times)
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 15:56:35 »

Ah, now that's where discretion comes in Jim.

Yes, but as we have all found out - not all 'grippers' have it.

Sorry for being thick but what's a 'gripper'?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 16:11:36 »

Even when I used the PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) service between Newport and Cardiff at the weekend the ticket inspector didnt bother checking on my return journey. 

My ticket wasnt checked on todays journey from Cosham-Trowbridge. In general, I would say that it was a hit-or-miss thing whether they are on Portsmouth-Cardiff services.

On the upside, I did see an FGW (First Great Western) 3-coach 158 conversion going in the other direction while I was waiting at Cosham. The train I caught was a 2-coach refreshed 158.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 17:49:26 »

"Ticket Man"

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 17:57:12 »

When im on a FGW (First Great Western) train half the time they dont even have anyone come around to check tickets especially on the 125 trains.  Even when I used the PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) service between Newport and Cardiff at the weekend the ticket inspector didnt bother checking on my return journey.

On ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) though they almost always check tickets.

For your information the PMH-CDF Service is crewed by Arriva Wales staff, so prehaps they operate double standards??

Well the train I was on the staff member was in FGW uniform.  The people who come on to tidy the train after it terminates at Cardiff are ATW staff as Cardiff Central is obviously an ATW station.

I fail to see why there would be ATW crew on a FGW service? I know the journey starts off in Wales but surely the company running the service should staff the train?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 18:02:39 »

When im on a FGW (First Great Western) train half the time they dont even have anyone come around to check tickets especially on the 125 trains.  Even when I used the PMH-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) service between Newport and Cardiff at the weekend the ticket inspector didnt bother checking on my return journey.

On ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) though they almost always check tickets.

For your information the PMH-CDF Service is crewed by Arriva Wales staff, so prehaps they operate double standards??

Well the train I was on the staff member was in FGW uniform.  The people who come on to tidy the train after it terminates at Cardiff are ATW staff as Cardiff Central is obviously an ATW station.

I fail to see why there would be ATW crew on a FGW service? I know the journey starts off in Wales but surely the company running the service should staff the train?

Not when we contract them to do it no!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 18:05:12 »

Everytime ive used the CDF-PMH service its been a FGW staff member im sure.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 18:07:10 by Jez » Logged
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 18:17:52 »

Everytime ive used the CDF-PMH service its been a FGW staff member im sure.
Quite likely, as Jim said they only about two a day.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 23:24:19 »

How did thesituation come about anyway that ATw crew a lot of FGW (First Great Western) services??  Surely when the franchises were created, they should have had a fair split of staff anyway?? 
willc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 00:33:48 »

Surely when the franchises were created, they should have had a fair split of staff anyway??

Operational convenience and route knowledge have a lot to do with these type of arrangements between firms. On the Cotswold Line, for almost all of the time that Thames Trains ran the route, many of the Turbo services were driven by Central Trains drivers from Worcester, who had route and traction knowledge from BR (British Rail(ways)) days, while the guards were Thames staff. I believe the arrangement only came to an end because Central was beefing up Worcester-Birmingham services and could no longer provide enough drivers.

In the case of services between South Wales and England, a lot of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) staff have route knowledge dating from BR and Wales & West, so why not use it if they're available? Let's face it, FGW (First Great Western) doesn't exactly have staff coming out of its ears. Remember Christmas and New Year! I assume some of the new FGW recruits will be replacing bought-in ATW staff eventually.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 18:24:34 »

"Ticket Man"

Entirely off topic and a bump, but with the nature of the countries ticketing system I find it necessary to say (put it to the Action Man jingle) Ticket Man - the greatest super hero of them all!  Cheesy Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: