Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:59:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Poll: There are many infrastructure improvements which are needed on lines in the region. However, a lack of funding means that few will be carried out. So which TWO do you want to happen as a priority? Also see notes below.
Electrification of GWMLs (Great Western Main Line)
Line speed improvements on GWMLs (Great Western Main Line)
Redoubling of Cotswold Line (including a new track layout at Worcester)
Redoubling of Golden Valley Line
Redoubling of West of England Line
Fifth track between Reading and London Paddington
Electrification of "Thames Valley" / "Network South East" routes / branches

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Infrastructure improvements  (Read 6910 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 21:56:30 »

Electrification has got to be number one, but for local services rather than high speed, the Devon metro would be vastly improved by electric traction with far quicker accelaration and stopping, St Ives could have a half hourly service stopping at all stations etc etc, Bristol would be far better off.

But an electric 140+ mph GWML (Great Western Main Line) would be good as well!

But the St. Ives Line does not warrant electrifying! Other upgrades yes!
I'm on about the whole lot! every line!
tom-langley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 21:59:41 »

For me electrification is key, how can we have a modern efficient railway, without electrifying the network. The wheels are already in motion for the extension of the electrification to Maidenhead. As I have mentioned in several other post it seems crazy that this is not being continued to Reading, if not further. The main cost in the crossrail project is in the tunnelling, so why network rail is not taking the opportunity to extend the electrification then, is beyond me. We lag behind our European counterparts by miles with a decent railway infrastructure.

How can the government be considering ordering a new generation of diesel trains to replace the HST (High Speed Train)'s, with all the debate on environmental concerns, and the volatile nature of the fuel source for these trains, it seems crazy.

Although the costs of this type of project are significant, this just seems of short-term solutions to a much bigger problem. The government just needs to bite the bullet on the cost and think about the long-term future. This kind of thinking was what lead to the Beaching cuts, and now look where we are now.

As for the impact for passengers, we are looking at significant disruption when crossrail is built, it has been reported that Paddington will be closed for as much as 2 weeks in one go, to allow the work required to be done, so as passengers we are going to have to grin and bear it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 22:02:13 by tom-langley » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 23:58:58 »

Why will Paddington close? Surely new station platforms underground will be built!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 00:57:15 »

I have to say with regards to Paddington closing for 2 weeks, but I'm not sure of the truth of it, no-one seems to have a real source.

It seems logical, partly, because having to build a new station underneath the current one..
tom-langley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 01:17:10 »

Why will Paddington close? Surely new station platforms underground will be built!

quote from the Crossrail document:

8.4.75 For major trackworks outside Paddington station a total blockade will be required that
will affect all services (ie GWML (Great Western Main Line) and local services) for a period of two weeks. Services
will also be affected by partial blockades for a week either side of the total blockade.
During this time local and GWML services will terminate at Ealing Broadway station.
The disruption to passengers at Paddington station will cause an impact of particular
importance since the blockade will affect all local and GWML services to Paddington
and passengers using the London Underground. This is also addressed in route-wide
impacts (see Chapter 7).

I have also included the link:

http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk/files/Home/Home3/01.Environmental%20Statement/Volume_02/Chapter_08_pt01.pdf
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 10:09:35 »

Not every train will terminate at Ealing either, I've been told both Reading and Waterloo are also on the cards.
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 10:22:47 »

To be honest, as a passenger, I don't really care whether a train is powered by electric, coal, diesel, nuclear or chip fat.  What I do care about is that trains operate safely, reliably, on time, with a good frequency and seating capacity.   So, I'll vote for whatever infrastructure change can best deliver that package!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 10:35:46 »

I think we should be very careful about not upgrading before ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.). There could still be line speed improvements and increases in frequency due to better acceleration and braking with electrificat.

I have a feeling that it ERTMS is a bit like the holy grail. Reports from lines where it is allegely installed in Europe don't seem to have seen any marked improvements in line speeds or train frequency. The high speed line betwen Brusels and Amsterdamm can't be used because of software incompatibilities across the border.

Cab signalling by all means but why not TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) 430 as used on HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) (I know it's French but it does seem to work) or failing that LZB the German system. Or a developement of both.

I think ERTMS is going down the wrong route with radio balises. Track circuits are the obvious choice for a railway you have two steel rails all the way why not let trains short across and show where they are. The technologies been around for 100 years and I'm sure it could be improved even now. After all it works most of the time over most of the GWML (Great Western Main Line).

I also think if the GWML is to be electrified then the Thames valley branches should be included in the main scheme to eliminate diesel local trains East of Reading. This would include the Greenford branch both from West Ealing and round from Old Oak to give a diversionary route round Ealing Broadway.  It would also enable Heathrow Express stock to turn, this is to even wheel wear due to the tight curves at the flyover at Airport Junction.

You could also build an interchange staion with the Central at North Acton.

This is why nationally one of the first lines to be electrified  should be the Sudbury branch ( I know it's not FGW (First Great Western)) but it would eliminate Diesel West of Colchester and give FGW a couple of extra units so it does benifit us.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: