21:30 Cardiff Central to Frome
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
21:48 London Paddington to Swansea
22:49 London Paddington to Swansea
Delayed
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
17:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:22 Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour
20:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 19:49:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: shocking lack of customer service- still in shock!  (Read 24037 times)
hornbeam

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:40:00 »

Ok sit down, it^s a long one!

I went to see friends in Hook yesterday and came back on the train from Basingstoke due in at 23.11. My bus was at 11.16, but have made it before as from platform one at Reading it can be done. So on the train to Basingstoke earlier, as before long safety announcements when leaving reading, next stop announcements and a ticket check- the usual on this line and part of the conductors job.

Return journey. Left on time and no problems until Reading west, no announcements at all, no ticket checks. Then at Reading we were sent over the freight lines towards Tilehurst where we came to a stop. We waited and waited for over 5 mins- Still no announcements. I should add I was sitting at the front of the train near the cab. Off we went at last and crossed over to the Up (London direction) slow. Then we waited, diver and conductor swapped over after a few mins. Still no announcements. So a girl came though and knocked on the door. The conductor opened the door and said in an abrupt voice ^what do you want?!^ she politely said she was concerned she was going to miss a connection. He said ^well there are engineering works and we are waiting for the points to be manually changed^. It was now 23.11. So the following conversation between the very abrupt conductor and I ensued

^ so what time are we going to move as we have been sat here a while?^

well we are waiting for the points to be changed^

^well I^ve now missed my bus and will have to pay for a taxi, why were we not kept updated? ( at this point all I wanted was an apology)

^its not my fault First great western are s**t you should allow 7 mins to change at Reading anyway^

So he slams his door shut. We then get on the move and he makes a very rubbish announcement about the delay and we get into platform 9 at 23.19.

So what is there to say? I^ve had rude staff before,  (the classic at Maidenhead station when I asked where the toilets are?- to be replied with a grumpy bloke pointing and saying ^they are bloody over there!^).
   So my point is his manor, what he said and the fact he was not even doing his job. So I get swore at and a ^8 taxi fare. Is there even any point writing to FGW (First Great Western) as if I get a lame standard reply It will make me feel even more angry about what has happened? Frankly I think my taxi should be paid for but know that^s not going to happen. Frankly I^m so very shocked about it all!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 13:09:00 »

Well, what can I say - there are some genuine bad eggs out there who do FGW (First Great Western) no credit at all, and also everybody sometimes has an off-day.  If you don't write in then nothing would ever be done about it.  If you write in and quote the exact train in question, the exact details of the conversation and a description of the member of staff then there is a good chance that a manager will at least 'bend their ear' about the incident.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 14:45:31 »

Can see the train got in at 23:16 - but at the end of the day you didn't allow enough time to get from the station to your bus.

The attitude of the guard however is wrong and you should write in about that.
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 21:46:23 »

Agre to a point olly, but if the train arrived on time I would have been fine. Out of interest whats the reason this line has conductors?
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 21:54:45 »

Because it could work over the third rail electrified at Basingstoke and any train which could do that cannot be DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)). Same for the Gatwicks.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 21:58:14 »

Agre to a point olly, but if the train arrived on time I would have been fine.
Is that based on the assumption of coming in on Platform 1? Or would you still make it from Platform 9?
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 22:06:41 »

Would have made it from platform 9 if it was on time. Intresting, as quite a few Electric trains are DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) as is the tube.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 00:08:09 »

Because it could work over the third rail electrified at Basingstoke and any train which could do that cannot be DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)). Same for the Gatwicks.

Really? Are you saying you can't have DOO anywhere on the third rail network?  There's plenty of SN suburban services are DOO, and then there's various bits of the LO network, and FCC (First Capital Connect) are fully DOO on the Brighton Line...

Or have I misinterpreted what you are suggesting?

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:33 »

Would have made it from platform 9 if it was on time.

The first thing to say is that sorry, but you chose to take a risk on an unofficial connection (although I've never heard before of the station connection time also being applied to buses, I suppose it makes sense) and this time it didn't pay off. In that regard, you have no claim against FGW (First Great Western) at all. The argument of "yes but had the train been on time..." doesn't hold water - even if it had been you were cutting things extremely fine.

However if the conductor did behave as you described then that is inexcusable and as others have said above, you should write in to FGW giving full details of the train service as well as the name if he was wearing his badge. Experience has taught me though that the guards who lurk in the back cab, don't bother checking tickets and do everything they can to avoid having to deal with passengers can be outright hostile when anyone dares to knock on their door and ask for information or assistance. And are almost certainly not wearing their name badges either  Roll Eyes

Interestingly though a leopard can sometimes change its spots, though whether voluntarily or under duress from management I'm not sure. There is one particular Swansea guard I'm thinking of who a few years ago would never emerge from coach A or F (depending on the direction of travel, of course!). Something must have changed because I've seen him working a few trains recently (yes, I am sure it's the same person, I have a near perfect memory for names and faces which sometimes is more trouble than it's worth, quite honestly) and he's been very thorough with ticket checks as well as personable and helpful with the punters. Obviously something changed, although I don't know what!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 07:19:26 »

I've see similar across FGW (First Great Western). There are good eggs and a handful of bad ones.

Making no attempt whatsoever to collect fares and check tickets on the last service of the evening and only appearing from the back cab to do the doors is just plain lazy and unprofessional. About three years ago I was on my way home from an unmanned station, took my seat and waited for the guard so that I could buy my ticket. No more than a dozen people on the train, so no excuse not to do a ticket round at some point between me boarding and my destination.

After the penultimate stop on my journey I waited for our elusive guard to pop out to do the doors at my stop and asked to buy my ticket. I was told, "It's too late now, you're getting off." I pointed out, a little flippantly I'll admit, that he'd had plenty of opportunity to sell me a ticket but hadn't bothered once to walk the train since I got on. The reply I got was "Well, I don't think First Great Western will begrudge you the ^4, and don't tell me how to do my job."

In the past I'd've delighted in getting something for nothing, but I insisted that I wanted to pay my fare. A bit pedantic on my part but I stayed on and travelled to the next station, buying my tickets from a guard who was now making dire threats about harassment and calling BTP (British Transport Police).

This same guard got his own back a week or so later, and seemed to delight in doing so. I had, unbeknownst to me, a fake ^1 coin in my possession which Mr Grumpy spotted. Rather than just point out it was a fake, confiscate it and ask me for another he said he was duty bound to take my details and call BTP to have them waiting for me when I alighted. If only he was as dilligent at selling tickets! I did have the last laugh though; we had door problems en route and were stuck one stop short of the station where I was due to get off. Mr Jumped-Up told me I had to stay on board to meet the BTP. I just sauntered off and caught the bus. Despite having my details taken by Mr Jobsworth I never did hear from the police.

I still see him occasionally and he recently asked me for supporting ID for my DSB railcard. Smiled politely and showed him my DLA award letter that I always carry for the very few pl@nks like him to inspect.

These staff are fortunately a rarity, but they do a great disservice to their colleagues, employer and the wider rail network. I'm not put off travelling by rail by these pl@nks, but they can put a downer on your day. It's a well worn adage that people who experience poor service will tell many more people about it than when they get service above and beyond.

As I've just proved!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:13:35 »

ok,

well I agree Its not a lot of time to allow to get my bus. However the point remains that the train was late. Does not matter that it wasnt by much but it was late. I wasnt told it was going to be late. I travel from Newbury racecourse every evening and in the two years ive done so the train always gets in Reading at least 5 mins late, and even leaves Newbury late even through its starts from there. I'm sorry I must sound like I have a right bee in my bonnet,  Cheesy but why have a time table then?

I will e-mail FGW (First Great Western), and indeed im far less concerned about the timings but it was the attude. And publicly calling the company you work for s**t is well..... not a good thing!

Will let you know how I get on.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:32:41 »

I've see similar across FGW (First Great Western). There are good eggs and a handful of bad ones.

I agree, but this is really a management problem.  Some of the bad eggs have been bad eggs for years and still the management hasn't taken them to task and made them change their ways or sacked them. 

it would not be difficult for FGW to use mystry shoppers to find out who their good and bad eggs are. 

The bad eggs are usually the ones who never venture out of the rear cab.  How difficult would it be to catch these people out? Do managers never travel by train?

Most on train staff are great but a significant minority are not
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:31:32 »

Do managers never travel by train?

You wouldn't ask that if you'd ever sat in a First Class carriage at Swindon.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:51 »

...never had the pleasure
Feckham

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 14:49:05 »

Would have made it from platform 9 if it was on time.

The first thing to say is that sorry, but you chose to take a risk on an unofficial connection (although I've never heard before of the station connection time also being applied to buses, I suppose it makes sense) and this time it didn't pay off. In that regard, you have no claim against FGW (First Great Western) at all. The argument of "yes but had the train been on time..." doesn't hold water - even if it had been you were cutting things extremely fine.

However if the conductor did behave as you described then that is inexcusable and as others have said above, you should write in to FGW giving full details of the train service as well as the name if he was wearing his badge. Experience has taught me though that the guards who lurk in the back cab, don't bother checking tickets and do everything they can to avoid having to deal with passengers can be outright hostile when anyone dares to knock on their door and ask for information or assistance. And are almost certainly not wearing their name badges either  Roll Eyes

Interestingly though a leopard can sometimes change its spots, though whether voluntarily or under duress from management I'm not sure. There is one particular Swansea guard I'm thinking of who a few years ago would never emerge from coach A or F (depending on the direction of travel, of course!). Something must have changed because I've seen him working a few trains recently (yes, I am sure it's the same person, I have a near perfect memory for names and faces which sometimes is more trouble than it's worth, quite honestly) and he's been very thorough with ticket checks as well as personable and helpful with the punters. Obviously something changed, although I don't know what!

Very interesting thought, as there a a few advertised Bus connections at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains), for (yes you've guessed it) First Buses.   Bude, Okehampton, Exeter Airport all advertised - next would be to try and buy a through ticket  Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: