14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:23 Swansea to London Paddington
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 15:45:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[231] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[91] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[52] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[48] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[38] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: One less HST stopping at Maidenhead from August 10th - pm?  (Read 52539 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 11:05:05 »

If you're a regular traveller on Chiltern, you'll also noticve that their aircon hasn't been up to much recently - either cooling like a fridge or not working at all - approx. 50% of the time.

And their silver trains appear to need to go away to have this fixed - so most are going around unfixed for weeks.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2013, 21:56:32 »

I got a reply from FGW (First Great Western). First they said they were sorry I wasn't happy with their previous reply which was quite interesting as it was their first reply to this particular e-mail  Roll Eyes

They said that the alternative when the 7.48pm isn't running is the 7.50pm and change at Slough.. This adds 20 minutes to what is a fast journey usually..

Does anyone know what type of train the 7.50 is I don't mind 20 minutes delay if it's not an oven turbo?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2013, 22:02:46 »

Ha Ha they've got the reference number of the e-mail I have outstanding with them about a really hot and dangerous train (and I was unhappy with their initial reply on that one) but they replied to the one about the 7.48pm. FGW (First Great Western) customer service never fail to amaze me... Just summoning up the will to live/reply..
James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 12:00:18 »

According to the latest FGW (First Great Western) timetable if my eye's read correctly the 1950 to Banbury is a lovely turbo full of catering, nice staff and nice air conditioning? If only that were true Smiley

What FGW should do is if they are really incapable of running a HST (High Speed Train) is run a Adelante on the 1950 calling also at Maidenhead with no question's asked by anybody please.

Why bother questioning FGW when they don't reply or if they do they give you a nonsense email back.
If they did that to me I would write a whole lot of nonsense back to them, just to let them know you are wasting my time.
And that is said in the nicest possible way. Get your act together FGW!

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 13:39:14 »

A turbo.. Oh deep joy.. Thanks FGW (First Great Western).. totally excelled themselves.

That aside I did start my reply to their e-mail with "I think you're a bit confused".. I guess it'll be another three weeks or so before they reply by which time it'll be too late.. They really need to change their "we aim to reply within 5  days" as well on the automated reply.. Might as well make it more realistic.. Roll Eyes
James

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2013, 13:59:43 »

A turbo.. Oh deep joy.. Thanks FGW (First Great Western).. totally excelled themselves.

That aside I did start my reply to their e-mail with "I think you're a bit confused".. I guess it'll be another three weeks or so before they reply by which time it'll be too late.. They really need to change their "we aim to reply within 5  days" as well on the automated reply.. Might as well make it more realistic.. Roll Eyes

Indeed. Joys of commuting to london these days, i for one avoid it Smiley

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
James

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2013, 14:07:11 »

Heres an idea, if they want to only reply within 5 days or longer of receiving the email, then every day they are late, they should pay compensation for all the hassle. However whether that works is a other story..

NickB

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2013, 16:42:27 »

If FGW (First Great Western) don't pay out for running trains late they aren't going to pay out for replying to an email late  Grin

From my own experience you get a different level of reply "quality" depending on whether you write in or email them.  Writing in seems to get given to the over-12's to reply to, whereas emails are left to the pre-school kids.  It doesn't necessarily reduce the patronising nature of the reply, but they do seeeeeem to be taken sliiiightly more seriously.  As its freepost I'm happy to cough for the envelope.

PS.  Still no signs at all at Maidenhead station announcing the change, nor at Paddington.  But I was delighted to hear on the 19.06 service that there are engineering works starting in February.  It didn't specify what year.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 17:07:30 »

Aah yes I was going to mention the total lack of communication still.. Maybe on Monday which is two weeks before (I say hopefully)..

The only good thing about the whole thing (for me) is that it will only affect me for the first week as I've got two weeks off commencing August 19th.. Three weeks of being roasted alive in a turbo might just have finished me off  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2013, 18:25:40 »

Apparently, Jo, you are not alone in being at risk of roasting alive: see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-23550182  Shocked

Enjoy your holiday - going anywhere cool, by any chance?  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2013, 19:58:09 »

Somewhere warm.. But nowhere near as hot as a turbo even on a coolish day  Grin
James

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2013, 20:05:54 »

NickB
If FGW (First Great Western) don't pay out for running trains late they aren't going to pay out for replying to an email late  Grin
Quote from NickB

Thats a true statement, although it's a shame, i really thought it would be an incentive for all the daily issues you have to go through, oh well..

PS.  Still no signs at all at Maidenhead station announcing the change, nor at Paddington.  But I was delighted to hear on the 19.06 service that there are engineering works starting in February.  It didn't specify what year.
Quote from NicKB

Engineering works due to start in February, does that mean that august's engineering work has been called off?
If so why does the 1948 HST (High Speed Train) service get withdrawn then?
If that statement is not true then i wonder if the 1948 will not only be affected in august but also in february of next year possibly, although as Nick says no year was provided. Hmm it makes you think what is happening sometimes...

NickB

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:26 »

Engineering works due to start in February, does that mean that august's engineering work has been called off?
If so why does the 1948 HST (High Speed Train) service get withdrawn then?
If that statement is not true then i wonder if the 1948 will not only be affected in august but also in february of next year possibly, although as Nick says no year was provided. Hmm it makes you think what is happening sometimes...

Sadly not - the announcements on the 19.06 to Henley have been going on for several weeks.  it just amused me that FGW (First Great Western) have an announcement for historic engineering works but haven't got one for the impending works.

Update:  There is a poster at Maidenhead station.  At the top of the stairs to platform 3 (ie. for travellers to Reading, so completely the wrong place).  I took some time to read it this morning and, even knowing what I was looking for, I couldn't find anything about the 19.48 from Paddington.  Skills.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 16:01:30 »

James - there are no spare Adelantes at that time of day. Or HSTs (High Speed Train)
James

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 21:21:05 »

Hmm that's interesting, just trying to wind up the passengers even more...

I suppose all that First Great Western want you to know is that it will be withdrawn with no replacement train, whilst the 1948 isn't running.

Since FGW (First Great Western) are so incapable of providing information about planned changes to services, the alternative is the 1950 service from Paddington to Slough but requiring a change of platforms. Hmm i foresee the Maidenhead Advertiser reporting on this very issue sooner or later...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: