Blue Pullman farewell tour (*)

Train RunningShort Run
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 05, 2024, 02:06:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[123] Something different !
[113] Walking between stations
[80] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[51] June to December 2024 Timetables
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1369322 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3000 on: January 02, 2015, 23:25:07 »

Welcome to the forum W55Railfinder / Mike - and congratulations on the 3000th post (2999th reply) on this thread.

I'm going to leave others to answer on Reading - I'm overawed by the detail and knowledge shared in this thread - enjoy reading (some of it fascinating like gradients, holding point lengths, etc) and learning.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: January 02, 2015, 23:53:49 »

I freely admit to being a little lost on occasions by the technical minutiae that this thread has engendered over its near 5 year life, but I too am overawed by the detail and knowledge it contains. I tip my hat to all those that have contributed to what has become a truly thorough history of the re-modelling of one of the most important locations covered by this forum.

If someone were to write a definitive history of the Reading re-modelling project they could rightly use this thread for much valuable source material.

My only small claim to fame in this thread were my pictures of the leaking roof of the, then new, transfer deck, picked up by national news media. Seeing a picture you took featured on ITV News was a novel experience.

I'll echo the welcome to the forum, W5tRailfinder. How many more posts on this thread before we can say, "project complete"?  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: January 03, 2015, 08:37:41 »

Indeed, welcome W5tRailfinder.

I've got the Easter 2015 maps which should answer many of your questions.  Hopefully I'll have time to upload them on to here this afternoon.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: January 03, 2015, 10:11:07 »

As was queried earlier, is it likely that one or both of the feeder lines could be operational before Easter?

There is a possibility they might be operational (in the sense that they are capable of working), but I doubt whether they would be in operation. I assume the Easter possession is required to commission the signalling changes and this needs to be at the same time as the commissioning of the festival line.

It immediately becomes obvious that the north end of the layout is flexible offering parallel movements onto and off the feeder lines with no conflicts, however at the southern end, parallel moves are not possible. Down direction Main Feeder to Down Westbury routes down Main Feeder, down Relief Feeder, Down Reading West Curve and then Down Westbury, so conflicting with any up direction routeing from the Up Westbury onto the Relief Feeder. An up loaded stone train could block the route for some time. Is it likely that a crossover between the Up Westbury and Down Westbury will be added in the future, in order that the routeing is not via the Relief Feeder?

Yes, but there are more platforms on the south side. Through platforms 7, 8, 10 & 11 all have access to the Westbury route either directly or by the feeder lines that's only 9 that does not! That is the same number of through platforms as on the reliefs (Platforms 12 - 15).    In addition Platform 3 (bay) can be used for the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services that reverse.  Oh and of course there are the bay platforms 1 &2 for local services to Newbury and Basingstoke.   

Is there enough room on the feeder lines to hold a stationery stone train without fouling the junctions at either end? Although the signallers, in practice, currently signal a loaded stone train through the old layout non-stop, will trials be carried out to prove that a stone train can be started anywhere within its new routeing via the feeder lines?

I think the answer is yes is was discussed somewhere further up this thread some months ago. 

Finally, what is the revised track layout of the relief lines between Tilehurst East and where it connects to the existing layout by signals T1745 and T1747 just west of Cow Lane? Looking at the signalling layout plan, RBC(resolve) plans and IndustyInsider^s cab ride video, then deciding what needs to be removed, replaced or added, one can make an attempt to draw it. I assume that from the video, the train is on the current Up Relief, which will become the Up Relief Loop (Up Goods Loop). The western end of the new piece of track within the west end of the depot will be connected to this. The new Up Relief and Down Relief lines will then be created with appropriate crossovers to each other, the Up Relief Loop, Festival Line and Reading West Curve lines.

Interesting there has been talk of II cab video in recent days - I seem to have missed this can someone point me to a link?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: January 03, 2015, 10:27:44 »

Interesting there has been talk of II cab video in recent days - I seem to have missed this can someone point me to a link?

The link is in the bottom line of the footnote in II's posts.

You might be kicking yourself now...  Grin

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: January 03, 2015, 10:39:30 »

The link is in the bottom line of the footnote in II's posts.

You might be kicking yourself now...  Grin

Paul

Didn't look down there!  Embarrassed
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: January 03, 2015, 15:14:16 »

Here's the Easter 2015 layout as promised.

I'm not totally sure that everything will be complete and commissioned at the final major blockade, as things like the 'A' End depot connection and a few other minor works might come in after that date, but the physical layout should at least look pretty much as desribed in these maps.  A couple of observations: I'm hoping that the 40mph restriction on the Down Relief line after Reading as far as Scours Lane will either be temporary, or is a mistake on the maps, as that would be disappointing if a PSR (Permanent Speed Restriction) - the Up Relief is 80mph until reasonably close the the station.  Good to see the former goods loop is to be a bi-directional passenger loop, which will be useful.  The 60mph over the viaduct and through platforms 9/10 is confirmed.  As before, the maps run from west to east.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 15:21:30 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: January 03, 2015, 17:39:43 »

I'm puzzled by the depot connection identifications being A, C and E.

Originally I thought for some reason there might be eventually 5 connections, to be labelled A-E.   Then somewhere it was suggested the connections were to be west, centre and east, presumably to be labelled W, C and E.

Is it just possible that A, C and E have been used to allow for future alterations, for example an up direction crossover leading into the eastern sidings off the passenger loop might become D?

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: January 03, 2015, 21:08:35 »

Yes, I think I was expecting a 'W' for West.  I'm guessing future connections is the reason, but it's a little confusing and I can't ever see the need for five connections!

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: January 04, 2015, 08:13:35 »

0800 London Paddington to Penzance, the first passenger carrying train to be booked to travel over the new Reading flyover this morning!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:14:32 by a-driver » Logged
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #3010 on: January 04, 2015, 08:46:44 »

Indeed 1C05 to Penzance has passed over the new flyover, followed by 1W15 to Didcot Parkway

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C20221/2015/01/04/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C20906/2015/01/04/advanced
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: January 04, 2015, 08:49:28 »

Indeed 1C05 to Penzance has passed over the new flyover, followed by 1W15 to Didcot Parkway

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C20221/2015/01/04/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C20906/2015/01/04/advanced

I wonder how many passengers on these services would have been interested or even noticed this change ? I know I would have that's for sure Smiley
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: January 04, 2015, 08:53:45 »

The Daily Mail will have to find another headline story for their paper tomorrow now they do not have a story about late engineering works.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #3013 on: January 04, 2015, 08:58:18 »

Yes, compared to the shambles happening elsewhere, and the late-running electrification programme, the Reading rebuild and remodelling appears to have happened on time - and presumably on budget?
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: January 04, 2015, 09:14:51 »

Reading viaduct is open

Just witnessed a cross country from 8a using it followedby Swansea train
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: