Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
14:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Short Run
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 14:51:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[252] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[91] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[46] underground plans for Bristol update.
[41] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] Brabazon, Bristol
[29] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of rolling stock since September 2017 - ongoing problems, and subsequent discussion  (Read 59006 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2017, 23:09:26 »

I was thinking about 'reserve' trains from the customer's point of view which doesn't always feature highly for GWR (Great Western Railway). And to a certain extent why would it with the way income and penalties are calculated. Thinking of them in terms of keeping trains moving, crews in the right place and avoiding a domino effect it make more sense for the TOC (Train Operating Company) but until the penalties out weight the costs I can't really see it happening.

Ahh but that would cost the government money and clause 2 of our unwritten constitution would say if it was written that government must always pay the minimum cost for anything regardless of whether that costs the country more  Shocked and even if it would end up costing the government more  Shocked

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2017, 09:33:38 »

And where does the Government get its money from - you & I the fare payers/taxpayers
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2017, 11:14:59 »

Has anyone else noticed how Joirneycheck is failing to keep up with the number of HST (High Speed Train) replacements and short-formed trains?  After several miserable experiences I now check the Train Formation Changes section but have recently been on several 3-car turbos replacing HST’s at peak time that aren’t featured on the site.
Are the changes really last minute, which I doubt given it must be that formation for a period of the day, or has GWR (Great Western Railway) stopped tracking this issue?

Example being tonight’s 17.49 to Worcester which is deeply unpleasant.
I can imagine having been on a 3 car Turbo from Moreton In Marsh that was as full as I've seen carriages on London Underground. That was because the booked HST had a fault if you believed the official line and because they didn't have enough HST drivers working on a Sunday if you believed the Train manager.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2017, 19:29:29 »

And where does the Government get its money from - you & I the fare payers/taxpayers

Of course.  But

a) the chepest price is sometimes more expensive; and   
b) the cost to the country as a whole (whoever pays) is not always thought about these days - it may save the country money for government to provide or procure a service rather than individuals.   
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2017, 21:37:12 »

Of course.  But

a) the chepest price is sometimes more expensive; and   
b) the cost to the country as a whole (whoever pays) is not always thought about these days - it may save the country money for government to provide or procure a service rather than individuals.   

Also UK (United Kingdom) PLC hates investing in infrastructure, the expectation is "industry & business" should be benevolent enough to fund it ............. after according to UK PLC it is industry & business that benefits from it

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2017, 09:22:00 »

With no guarantee of any spot-hire, the daily rates must be astronomical?

Agreed.  But keeping a few trains back from the scrapheap would be far cheaper. 

But I suspect that it would not be in the ROSCOs» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about)' interests to have cheap spare trains of any age kicking around.  Keeping trains in short supply keep their prices high.   
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2017, 09:14:57 »

6 coaches on the 06.53 from Twyford this morning but 3 of them out of action due to a coolant leak from the engine which is a new one for me.

All got a bit bad tempered at Maidenhead.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2017, 11:41:35 »

Met a former fitter from SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) earlier this morning and in course of conversation mentioned about poor services lately.

His words, 'Honestly you've got to hear it to believe it. Two class 150 sprinters out of service awaiting a wheelset change on one vehicle. Cant split the two sets and temporarily form a good set with the two goodvehicles because one set belongs to Angel Trains and tother set is Porterbrooks. Huh
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2017, 12:29:50 »

His words, 'Honestly you've got to hear it to believe it. Two class 150 sprinters out of service awaiting a wheelset change on one vehicle. Cant split the two sets and temporarily form a good set with the two goodvehicles because one set belongs to Angel Trains and tother set is Porterbrooks. Huh
'National Rail - Britain's Railways Working Together' What tosh!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2017, 17:10:38 »

At what point does "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" cease to be a correct statement?  The GWR (Great Western Railway) JourneyCheck reports dozens of amended train formations every day.  There were 28 when I looked just now and about 50 the other morning.

I think they should be honest and report "as many trains as usual needing repairs at the same time". 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2017, 17:21:30 »

17:42 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 19:47
Facilities on the 17:42 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 19:47.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.
Will be formed of 6 coaches instead of 8.
Last Updated:07/12/2017 17:11

HST (High Speed Train) missing coaches C and E.  Keep losing them at this rate and it could go to Cornwall....  Grin
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2017, 17:44:32 »

At one stage JourneyCheck was reporting the 17:49 from Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill as being formed of 6 coaches instead of 8 - but it's now down to a cosy 2 coaches instead of 8.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2017, 18:21:53 »

17:42 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 19:47
Facilities on the 17:42 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 19:47.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.
Will be formed of 6 coaches instead of 8.
Last Updated:07/12/2017 17:11

HST (High Speed Train) missing coaches C and E.  Keep losing them at this rate and it could go to Cornwall....  Grin

I encountered a 6 coach HST set last week.

Chiltern are also regularly short these days from "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time".

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2017, 19:12:08 »

At one stage JourneyCheck was reporting the 17:49 from Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill as being formed of 6 coaches instead of 8 - but it's now down to a cosy 2 coaches instead of 8.

See the post above yours....it was nicked to form the 1742 to Cheltenham.
Seems as though the South Cotswolds trumps the North Cotswolds!
(Maybe the 2car turbo isn't cleared on South Cotswolds...)
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2017, 17:57:55 »

The 18.18 Paddington to Oxford is former of 3 rather than 6 coaches this evening due to a broken down train. Sadly no surprise there but what did interest me is that Maidenhead (first calling point) has been struck from the list. All other stations will be served as normal.
As anyone familiar with this service will attest, it is the busiest service for Maidenhead passengers of the evening peak. Perhaps 80% of passengers disembark there and it is always full and standing.
Has this train had Maidenhead struck from its calling points in order to avoid the overcrowding that would ensue on the remaining 3 coaches?  If so that is bad form in my opinion.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: