Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 07:15 04 May 2024
* 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
* Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (1951)
Festival of Britain opens to public (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
07:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:02 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
17:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 07:24:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[138] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[93] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[57] June to December 2024 Timetables
[56] Walking between stations
[53] National and super-regional Transport advocate and representat...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 50% Railcard discount for the Severn Beach Line?  (Read 10141 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2009, 17:18:01 »

On obtaining new timetables in early May 2009 I noticed in the small print of timetable 29 (  http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/May%2009%20TTs/FGW09M_TT29.pdf ) that railcard discounts would be 50% on this line instead of the usual 1/3 off. Great, I thought. As a regular user of this line (and DSB railcard holder), I was looking forward to the additional savings.
Unfortunately the department for producing the timetables has failed to tell the department responsible for fares. All on-line fares' enquiries still only offer the usual 1/3 off. The ticket office and TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) show no change to the existing 1/3 off, neither do the on-train Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machines.
I assumed therefore this was a mis-print, so I e-mailed FGW (First Great Western) on 9th May to highlight this. The response I got is as follows:- (names removed to protect the innocent!)

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email dated 9 May 2009 with regard to your enquiry into the information provided on the Severn Beach Line timetable pertaining to the 50% discount noted in the timetable details. I have doubled checked the details on your behalf, and I can confirm that the details on the timetable are correct. The problem is that this has not been implemented on our systems, so the correct price is not being reflected in our price enquiries. Our Fares Manager has now been made aware of this and is working to solution the problem as soon as possible. Thank you again for contacting First Great Western and for bringing the problem to our attention.

Yours sincerely,
Customer Services Advisor.

(nice to know that the 'Fares Manager' is '......working to solution the problem.....' !!!!!)

Okay I thought, I'll give them a bit of time to sort this one out, but 5 weeks later, there has been no changes made anywhere to the fares. My follow up email has yet to be responded to. (As an aside; has anyone ever recieved a response to an email to FGW Customer Services within the 5 working days they say they hope to respond?) I am keeping all of my tickets and am wondering whether I can claim back what is, in effect overcharging. I suspect though that a discount offered in a timetable is merely an "invitation to treat" and is not binding in law. Anyone out there know any different? Also does anyone know who the 'Fares Manager' is for FGW?

nose
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 18:21:41 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 18:16:04 »

Following the timetable change on 17th May 2009 I noticed in the small print of timetable 29 (  http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/May%2009%20TTs/FGW09M_TT29.pdf ) that railcard discounts would be 50% on this line instead of the usual 1/3 off. Great, I thought. As a regular user of this line (and DSB railcard holder), I was looking forward to the additional savings.
Unfortunately the department for producing the timetables has failed to tell the department responsible for fares. All on-line fares' enquiries still only offer the usual 1/3 off. The ticket office and TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) show no change to the existing 1/3 off, neither do the on-train Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machines.
I assumed therefore this was a mis-print, so I e-mailed FGW (First Great Western) on 18th May to highlight this. The response I got is as follows:- (names removed to protect the innocent!)

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email dated 9 May 2009 with regard to your enquiry into the information provided on the Severn Beach Line timetable pertaining to the 50% discount noted in the timetable details. I have doubled checked the details on your behalf, and I can confirm that the details on the timetable are correct. The problem is that this has not been implemented on our systems, so the correct price is not being reflected in our price enquiries. Our Fares Manager has now been made aware of this and is working to solution the problem as soon as possible. Thank you again for contacting First Great Western and for bringing the problem to our attention.

Yours sincerely,
Customer Services Advisor.

(nice to know that the 'Fares Manager' is '......working to solution the problem.....' !!!!!)

Okay I thought, I'll give them a bit of time to sort this one out, but 5 weeks later, there has been no changes made anywhere to the fares. My follow up email has yet to be responded to. (As an aside; has anyone ever recieved a response to an email to FGW Customer Services within the 5 working days they say they hope to respond?) I am keeping all of my tickets and am wondering whether I can claim back what is, in effect overcharging. I suspect though that a discount offered in a timetable is merely an "invitation to treat" and is not binding in law. Anyone out there know any different? Also does anyone know who the 'Fares Manager' is for FGW?

nose

I suspect that this is one of those occasions wher someone has had a good idea without bothering to ask someone if it is technically possible..  A railcard discount is programmed into the system as a standard discount for the whole country.  ie a Senior Railcard gives a third off.  If you chage the discount for one ticket that will change the discount for all the tickets.  So it would make it 50% off Bristol to London for example.

What you could do it create some special fares for all the journeys involved at 50% off the current price and load them into the system.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 18:27:46 »

The St Ives line dayranger is 1/2 fare with a Devon and Cornwall RC so this example is not unique. 
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 20:04:58 »

The speed of reply seems to depend on the option selected on the enquiry form I find, other seems to be the quickest, I have got next day replies using that.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 20:24:57 »

I believe I submitted the original email using 'other' as the enquiry type. My follow up mail was submitted direct to fgw.feedback@...etc (ie not through firstgreatwestern.co.uk). It has been received because I got the usual auto response.  Full human responses are very hit and miss, but in my experience I've never got one within the 5 working days.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 20:47:34 »

Always been impressed with FGW (First Great Western) customer services. XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) on the other hand are awful.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 21:03:14 »

I am generally happy with the responses and remedies I get from FGW (First Great Western) CS, just not so happy with the time it takes. When a comment, criticism, complaint or even praise is fresh in my mind, I fire off the email. But my memory ain't great and I've often forgot what I was commenting on by the time the response comes through. So what I intend to do from now on is send comments etc direct from my email account, rather than use the online comment form, so I can save them as an aide memoir!!

The quickest response I ever got was from a letter sent direct to James Burt (is he responsible for the crisps Cheesy). He phoned me personally 2 days after receiving the letter. But we can't keep contacting the organ grinder directly....

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 21:11:05 »

Maybe if they got fewer "comments, criticism, complaints or even praise", they would respond quicker. 

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 21:57:09 »

And maybe they'd get fewer complaints if they performed better.
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 21:58:42 »

They hardly perform badly, most things are probably enquiries or complaints about silly things.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 22:19:45 »

Maybe if they got fewer "comments, criticism, complaints or even praise", they would respond quicker. 

Well...... maybe. We all could just put up and shut up. After all it's only our hard-earned that is being handed over.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 19:39:08 »

I guess I was a little impatient in waiting for a reply to my second email. It arrived today Embarrassed

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email of 3 June 2009. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your enquiry but I wanted to give you a definite answer to you complaint. Having contacted our Head Office, I can confirm that the implementation of the 50% discount on the Severn Beach Line is underway and should be fully operational by the end of the month. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you and can assure you that we are doing everything we can to get this discount applied to tickets as quickly as possible. Thank you once again for contacting First Great Western.

Yours sincerely
Customer Services Advisor

Good news, although no answer as to whether I can claim back the overcharging for all the fares I've paid since 17th May. Does anyone out there in coffee shop land think I have a valid claim for refunds?

nose

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 20:52:10 »

If they are overcharging you at no fault to your own you should have a valid claim for a refund, it is worth contacting them anyway.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 21:31:32 »

Hmm.  As FGW (First Great Western) have now acknowledged to you, in two e-mails, that their own fare system is wrong, I'd suggest that you have a strong case for claiming a refund of the difference you have been charged, on each of those tickets.  Wink

And if anyone else finds themself in a similar situation, FGW do invite people to submit 'enquiries and comments', on their website, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ContactUs.aspx  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 19:42:15 »

I guess I was a little impatient in waiting for a reply to my second email. It arrived today Embarrassed

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email of 3 June 2009. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your enquiry but I wanted to give you a definite answer to you complaint. Having contacted our Head Office, I can confirm that the implementation of the 50% discount on the Severn Beach Line is underway and should be fully operational by the end of the month. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you and can assure you that we are doing everything we can to get this discount applied to tickets as quickly as possible. Thank you once again for contacting First Great Western.

Yours sincerely
Customer Services Advisor

Good news, although no answer as to whether I can claim back the overcharging for all the fares I've paid since 17th May. Does anyone out there in coffee shop land think I have a valid claim for refunds?

nose

Well the end of the month has been and gone and still no changes to the Railcard fares on the Severn Beach Line. Anyone out there in coffeeshop land have any ideas who I should now bring this to the attention of?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: