Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 04 May 2024
- 'Shocking' - Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
- Will John Swinney change the SNP’s fortunes?
- Women from Wales have to travel to England for abortions
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
4th May (1951)
Festival of Britain opens to public (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Great Malvern to London Paddington
18:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
22:02 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway
05/05/24 00:22 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
Short Run
13:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
15:13 Hereford to London Paddington
23:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
23:23 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
05/05/24 06:12 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
Delayed
17:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
20:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 04, 2024, 18:51:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[188] Something different !
[179] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[59] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[55] Walking between stations
[54] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[45] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington ticket barriers read issue  (Read 17342 times)
Boppy

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:03 »

Hi,

I've been a season ticket holder between Reading and London for many years now.  During that time I've experienced my season ticket failing at regular(ish) intervals as it's strip deteriorates and I go to the ticket office and they fill in an Encoding Failure Form and I get a replacement etc

At first I thought it just coincidence but now after carefully noting where the failures occur I find that for whatever reason the Paddington ticket machines are where 90% of such failures occur.  In the last year I've had one failure at Piccadilly Circus station and one at Reading station - and both these were with extremely worn out tickets (wording had faded etc).

Whereas at the Paddington barriers the tickets are often in good nick.  In fact the reason I'm posting this message now is that I've had to replace my ticket again just 2 weeks after the last encoding failure - both at Paddington barriers.

I've also noticed that "failures" at these barriers happen differently than at other places.  My ticket goes through the machine but instead of coming out with "Seek Assistance" the machine actually reads (or writes over?) the ticket again and then it pops out.

My questions are:

- Are the Paddington Barriers different to those at Reading and on the underground?
- Have other people experience a disproportionate number of failures at Paddington barriers?  My ticket goes through a barrier check 8 times a day of which 2 checks are at Paddington barriers but rather than an 25%ish failure rate there it's almost every time.

Note:  My ticket is stored away from any other items - wallet, phone etc so as not to risk interference with the magnetic strip.

Thanks,

Boppy.

SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 15:00:19 »

Reading gates and the ones at Pic circus are the old style gates. Pad has newer ones.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 15:17:26 »

Going off on a tangant, but when I travel to London using an advance ticket. I buy a travelcard from a SWT (South West Trains) or FGW (First Great Western) guard from their avantix to use for my onward journeys in London. I have never been able to get a Gateline anywhere in London that accepts it Roll Eyes Sad

I'm starting to wonder if the Travelcard they are selling me is not valid... It's a Super Off Peak which AFAIK (as far as I know) is valid on a weekday so can't see why it complains!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 15:20:23 »

Going off on a tangant, but when I travel to London using an advance ticket. I buy a travelcard from a SWT (South West Trains) or FGW (First Great Western) guard from their avantix to use for my onward journeys in London. I have never been able to get a Gateline anywhere in London that accepts it Roll Eyes Sad

I'm starting to wonder if the Travelcard they are selling me is not valid... It's a Super Off Peak which AFAIK (as far as I know) is valid on a weekday so can't see why it complains!
My understanding is that tickets from Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Mobile machines aren't encoded as strongly as those from TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) or ticket offices.  A mobile phone or even a credit card can knock out the encoding on these tickets.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 16:03:34 »

Reading gates and the ones at Pic circus are the old style gates. Pad has newer ones.

I was wondering if that was indeed something to do with it and whether tickets are handled differently as a result.  Unless there's someone on the forum who's an expert in said machines I guess it will be hard to find out!

Cheers.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 16:16:41 »

My understanding is that tickets from Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Mobile machines aren't encoded as strongly as those from TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) or ticket offices.  A mobile phone or even a credit card can knock out the encoding on these tickets.

Thats worth knowing...! Thanks, where do I normally put my ticket? in a small pocket right next to my bank cards!!

Most of the staff i've encountered though just look at the ticket and open the barriers for me Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 00:38:55 »

Whats the code that comes up on the barriers?

http://www.cryptart.com/oyster/ - is a list of the different reject codes.
The Code can mean many things....
e.g. 07, 08 or 09 basically means it cant read your ticket.
133 means that the ticket has been through previously in the last 30 mins (i.e. youve given it to someone behind you to get out). That seems to come up a lot at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).
11* means some restriction, i.e. out of date, not valid yet, time restricted.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:06:59 »

This is interesting. I'm on my fourth goldcard ticket this year- the last three stopped working the Paddington barriers fairly quickly. There is no error code that comes up, and no sound from the barrier- my ticket is returned and the barrier does not open. My current ticket is tempremental at the moment, next time I pass a ticket office it'll get replaced again. However if I pass thorugh the SWT (South West Trains) barriers Waterloo, there are no problems (yes I do hold a valid ticket to do this, but it's easier just to use my goldcard!!) I wonder if there's something strange in the setup of the Paddington barriers?
verypc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 19:21:42 »

- Have other people experience a disproportionate number of failures at Paddington barriers? 

I travel from Ashford International to Bristol Parkway and back once a week.  I buy advance purchase tickets and on several occasions have had to change the date, which has meant buying an excess ticket for the journey.  Without fail the excess ticket does not work at Paddington (or at St Pancras for that matter) but does work at Ashford, Bristol Parkway and at the Tube stations.  I usually avoid the barriers at Paddington though by accessing the platform from the footbridge (although the barriers they've recently installed there will no doubt be operational soon).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 19:25:58 »

A warm welcome to the forum verypc!  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 16:58:30 »

....by accessing the platform from the footbridge (although the barriers they've recently installed there will no doubt be operational soon).

Errr, not done the trip recently?
Those barriers have been operational now for a few monmths, maybe a month?
verypc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 20:28:41 »

....by accessing the platform from the footbridge (although the barriers they've recently installed there will no doubt be operational soon).

Errr, not done the trip recently?
Those barriers have been operational now for a few monmths, maybe a month?

I've been doing that journey since the end of September.  The barriers were installed shortly thereafter, but I have not seen them operational once.  I arrive at the station  around 11 am and return again just after 9.30 pm, so I guess they switch them off when they see me coming!  Cheesy
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 20:38:48 »

I do suspect they're only manned in the peak....
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 10:49:16 »

Hi,

Thanks for the link to the error codes SDS pad.

I get error codes starting 0x when I next try the ticket on say the London Underground barriers.  But when the ticket actually fails in the Paddington railway barriers I don't get any code - as it seems to go through twice before then just saying "Seek Assistance" - maybe similar to what adc82140 experiences?  It may be though that an error code does get flashed up briefly the first time the ticket passes through and I've missed it as that info vanishes as the tickets gets processed back through the machine a second time.

I'll keep an eye out for next time it happens.

Boppy.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 14:39:12 »

Ive had something similar happen to my staff pass.
Went in, came out the top, gate grabbed it back and then spat it out the top error code 08
put it in again error code 09.

To spot the code you need to look at the green display to the right of the gate, and leave your ticket in the top. As soon as you 'reclaim' your ticket the code will vanish off the screen.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: