Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningDelayed
This is
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 06:04:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Listed Signal Boxes  (Read 19922 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:22:57 »

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23451290

Twenty-six of the UK (United Kingdom)'s "rarest" railway signal boxes have been granted Grade II listed status by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Culture minister Ed Vaizey said interest in trains and railways was one of the country's "most endearing and enduring national preoccupations".

The joint venture, between English Heritage and Network Rail, is part of a 30-year plan to modernise the railways.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 10:06:54 »

Whilst I think it's a good idea in principle, it is quite difficult to put into practice.

Signal boxes by their nature are on railway premises so limited access in some cases. They are basically either single story huts or 1 up on 1 down structures and are often quite small so alternative users are diffcult find. Therefore, they sit and decay whilst incurring  continuing maintenance charges.

Maybe, as most wooden boxes are kit built they should be moved to various heritage railways complete with lever frame and instruments.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:57:09 »

I'm sure English Heritage would consider any request like this sympathetically.

The listing just preserves them, and requires NR» (Network Rail - home page) to do so maintenance wise. Might even convince them to find them homes rather than simply demolish them....
81F
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 17:35:15 »

I travelled through Dawlish yesterday and there is just a large nothingness where until recently there was a pretty signalbox swathed in bubblewrap. Still, I suppose in a few months we'll forget that it was ever there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 17:46:23 »

I travelled through Dawlish yesterday and there is just a large nothingness where until recently there was a pretty signalbox swathed in bubblewrap. Still, I suppose in a few months we'll forget that it was ever there.

Sad ... there's another thread on this at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12467.0

Further details of new listings at

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/about/news/englands-railway-signalling-heritage-recognised/

These are the boxes:

Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire
Hensall, North Yorkshire

Bournemouth West Junction, Dorset
Lostwithiel, Cornwall
Marsh Brook, Shropshire
Par, Cornwall
Totnes, Devon

Brundall, Norfolk
Bury St Edmunds Yard, Suffolk
Downham Market, Norfolk
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Thetford, Norfolk
Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
Wymondham South Junction, Norfolk

Aylesford, Kent
Canterbury East, Kent
Cuxton, Kent
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Grain Crossing, Kent
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Liverpool Street, City of London
Maidstone West, Kent
Rye, East Sussex
Shepherdswell, Kent
Snodland,  Kent
Wateringbury, Kent

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 18:19:02 »

I guess I find the passing of Dawlish signalbox sadder than most, simply because I love the area so much. It's certainly where you will find me ambling along the sea wall should I make it as far as retirement, and it's a shame that it wont be a feature of my future wanderings.

Of course, the sea wall, railway and Dawlish itself should still all be there to act as my waiting room for the great CoffeeShop in the sky, but one can never know for sure...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 20:23:04 »

Liverpool Street, do they mean the box tucked away in the dark under the East Wall just at the end of the platforms. I didn't think it had any archtectural merit.

The current IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) is an anonmous office block from which you can't even see a train.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 20:39:25 »

I read somewhere at the time:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/about/news/englands-railway-signalling-heritage-recognised/

...that the Liverpool St box they've listed belongs to London Underground?

Presumably that will be on the Met/Circle platforms somewhere?

...Dug around for a few minutes and found it pictured on page 42 of this:

http://services.english-heritage.org.uk/ResearchReportsPdfs/028-2012WEB.pdf

Paul
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 20:49:57 by paul7755 » Logged
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 23:38:53 »

What an interesting document the second one is, Paul.  Thanks for posting that.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:33:33 »

Hate to say it, but being listed no doubt will mean should the railway want them demolished, they'll be left to run down beyond repair or they'll magically combust, with nobody ever found guilty of it.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 11:48:34 »

Hate to say it, but being listed no doubt will mean should the railway want them demolished, they'll be left to run down beyond repair or they'll magically combust, with nobody ever found guilty of it.

I had a somewhat different concern ... as of about a year ago, there were said to be some 500 signal boxes - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19435464 - of which some such as Dawlish were already listed.   WIth adding another 26 to the listings (making how many?), does that signal permission for hundreds of others to be demolished with the signal being given to the planning process that it's OK to sweep them away?    Is there a "tit for tat" deal here between English Heritage - "keep these 26 and we'll let you get rid of others".    I'm not saying that every box should be preserved for posterity

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 12:09:44 »

If I understand your point correctly, I don't think there is any 'planning process' involved in demolishing an unlisted signal box.  Their removal would be a permitted development under the original Act setting up the railway - it would come under normal maintenance activities.

Paul
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 13:34:17 »

If I understand your point correctly, I don't think there is any 'planning process' involved in demolishing an unlisted signal box.  Their removal would be a permitted development under the original Act setting up the railway - it would come under normal maintenance activities.

Paul

Unless a building is listed or in a conservation area I do not believe any planning permission is required to demolish - only to build something else.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 13:43:18 by ellendune » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 13:41:39 »

correct. That of course is a Conservation Area.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 13:42:49 »

correct. That of course is a Conservation Area.

Sorry my brain does not work on Sundays - I have amended it now
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: