08:30 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
12:55 Guildford to Gatwick Airport
14:16 Gatwick Airport to Guildford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 05, 2024, 08:48:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[152] Something different !
[116] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[102] Champion to Westbury
[88] Walking between stations
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[40] June to December 2024 Timetables

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57
  Print  
Author Topic: 2023 - Train update and amendment log - Swindon <-> Westbury  (Read 70173 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: December 07, 2023, 08:31:23 »

I tried to get home to Melksham from Westbury on the 16:23 today but not only was that cancelled (despite the train being on the platform), but ALL trains back to Swindon (four, I think) cancelled after that as well....

16:23 - so due into Melksham at 16:38.

As an alternative, there was a train at 16:25 which got to Trowbridge at 16:31.  A bus then left Trinity Square at the top of station approach at 16:57 and got to Melksham Town Centre at 17:30.  Perhaps not as fast, but in the land of integrated public transport that I was hearing about at the Area Board in Semington this evening, surely that would have been suggested to you??

It wasn't, although it did occur to me. However, I felt very uncomfortable about walking around Trowbridge town centre in the dark, feeling vulnerable (white, middle class males stand out rather in Trowbridge), not knowing exactly where bus stops are, so I got a taxi in preference. Also as it happens the 16:25 had already left by the time the 16:23 (which was standing at the platform!) was cancelled - and the next train to Trowbridge was significantly delayed beyond 17:00 as well.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #766 on: December 07, 2023, 22:33:24 »

... Why should using a bit of initiative "cost" much? The value it would add to the customer experience would far outweigh it..........surely transport modes working collaboratively is the way forward?

(......hides behind sofa)  Wink

No need to hide behind the sofa. I am agreeing with you.  An initiative would quickly end up saving money as well as people's short tempers.  Using seats on buses otherwise unoccupied in place of taxis of which we have a shortage of available vehicles around here.

I went to listen to the Director of Highways and Transport in Semington village last night, and asked about public transport collaboration, citing buses to the stations to connect with trains at places like Westbury (where 4 buses a day call) and Melksham (where there are none).   I was re-assured by one of our Wiltshire Councillors that buses go past the top of our Station Approach and all it needs is a timetable change to have them connect - it's "just a couple of minutes walk".  Hmmm .... if only it were that simple.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #767 on: December 08, 2023, 10:37:50 »

17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury due 20:06

17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury due 20:06 will be terminated at Swindon.
It will no longer call at Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury, Dilton Marsh, Warminster and Salisbury.
This is due to industrial action.

20:06 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 22:05

20:06 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 22:05 will be started from Swindon.
It will no longer call at Westbury, Trowbridge, Melksham and Chippenham.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 08, 2023, 18:25:40 »

20:13 Swindon to Westbury due 20:58
20:13 Swindon to Westbury due 20:58 will be cancelled.

21:16 Westbury to Swindon due 21:58
21:16 Westbury to Swindon due 21:58 will be cancelled.

22:30 Swindon to Westbury due 23:11
22:30 Swindon to Westbury due 23:11 will be cancelled.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #769 on: December 08, 2023, 18:28:19 »

20:13 Swindon to Westbury due 20:58 will be cancelled.

21:16 Westbury to Swindon due 21:58 will be cancelled.

And the rest ... we are both posting at the same time!

19:35 Westbury to Salisbury due 20:06  
22:30 Swindon to Westbury due 23:11

22:30 Swindon to Westbury due 23:11 will be cancelled.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 08, 2023, 23:55:45 »

So, just to summarise: on December 8th just 7 out of 18 services ran on the core Westbury-Swindon section.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #771 on: December 09, 2023, 07:37:56 »

So, just to summarise: on December 8th just 7 out of 18 services ran on the core Westbury-Swindon section.

And starting today ... 4 more cancellations ... out of just 14 because we have accepted the loss of 2 round trips in the Saturday timetable to make it operationally easier and more robust.  Sadly, by segmenting out the line we have also made it easier for the service to be sacrificed any time there's something happening like a shortage of working trains or staff ...

12:07 Westbury to Swindon due 12:53
13:10 Swindon to Westbury due 13:53
14:07 Westbury to Swindon due 14:53
15:10 Swindon to Westbury due 15:55

15:10 Swindon to Westbury due 15:55 will be cancelled.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #772 on: December 09, 2023, 08:57:07 »

Looks like the cancelled trains for today may have been re-instated.  Good - I hope that not too many people were scared away and have made other travel plans ...

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 09, 2023, 09:29:15 »

Friday was a bad day for cancellations, but not quite that bad; 9 out of 18 cancelled on the core section:

07:45 WSB» (Westbury - next trains) - SWI» (Swindon - next trains) and 08:45 SWI - WSB
12:17 WSB - SWI
18:37 WSB - SWI
17:50 Gloucester - Salisbury (started from Westbury)
20:06 WSB - Cheltenham Spa
20:13 SWI - WSB
21:16 WSB - SWI and 22:30 SWI - WSB

Last train from Melksham was the 18:03 to Westbury.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 09, 2023, 10:20:00 »

Hello Brooklea, just checking that I have the right figures (7 running = 11 not running on the core section):

* The 0511 Gloucester - Southampton progressed no further than Kemble.
* The 0635 Salisbury - Worcester first appears on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) at Kemble.

I know RTT sometimes isn't right where a train runs out-of-correspondence with the pre-ordained timetable, but I have assumed that neither of these workings came anywhere Melksham (and that thhis is the discrepancy between your figures and mine).

Do you have any info to suggest there was a service through Melksham at these times?
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 09, 2023, 10:21:52 »

PS to Brooklea: I don't wish to come over as combative. Thank you for your continuing contributions to the forum!  Smiley
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 09, 2023, 10:40:14 »

Hello Brooklea, just checking that I have the right figures (7 running = 11 not running on the core section):

* The 0511 Gloucester - Southampton progressed no further than Kemble.
* The 0635 Salisbury - Worcester first appears on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) at Kemble.

I know RTT sometimes isn't right where a train runs out-of-correspondence with the pre-ordained timetable, but I have assumed that neither of these workings came anywhere Melksham (and that thhis is the discrepancy between your figures and mine).

Do you have any info to suggest there was a service through Melksham at these times?

Yep, I too looked at the RTT data and thought to myself that Kemble was an odd place for these trains to vanish/appear from the system. I then had a look at their subsequent/previous workings on RTT and that suggested that both had run throughout. I concluded that there had been some issue in data feeds to RTT, which is not unheard of.

So I visited this website https://trackit.uppyjc.co.uk which helpfully can display detailed signalling data for the past 24 hours (although it sometimes has gaps in the data too). This showed both trains had travelled along the Melksham line.

The specific train links don’t work forever, but this shows Friday’s 2O20 0511 Gloucester to Southampton https://trackit.uppyjc.co.uk/TrackIT/Forms/Train.aspx?TrainID=44820136&AutoRefresh=True&CameFromLocationID=10649&DisplayMode=TD&Detailed=True&Reverse=True&Estimate=True

And 2M81 0635 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street https://trackit.uppyjc.co.uk/TrackIT/Forms/Train.aspx?TrainID=44820082&CameFromLocationID=10649&AutoRefresh=True&Estimate=True&DisplayMode=TD&Detailed=True Sorry, but attaching screenshots is beyond my abilities!

Hope that’s of interest  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 14:06:34 by brooklea » Logged
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 09, 2023, 13:26:02 »

Brooklea,

Many thanks - I haven't seen TrackIT before - the level of detail is ... interesting ... although perhaps not for the majority of rail users. Does anyone on this forum have an explanation of all the data feeds available and which public websites use which?

One minor correction to your post: the top-level URL doesn't have a www in it: https://trackit.uppyjc.co.uk

We agree on the final score: 9 ran, 9 cancelled.
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 09, 2023, 14:08:03 »

One minor correction to your post: the top-level URL doesn't have a www in it: https://trackit.uppyjc.co.uk

Thanks for that - I have corrected the link in my post.
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 09, 2023, 14:15:05 »

16:35 Westbury to Swindon due 17:17 will be cancelled.
17:44 Swindon to Westbury due 18:25 will be cancelled.
18:40 Westbury to Swindon due 19:26 will be cancelled.
19:44 Swindon to Westbury due 20:25 will be cancelled.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 57
  Print  

Jump to: