21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
This is
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 05:19:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Flooding Disruption January 2014  (Read 31797 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 17:32:13 »

And Culham Centre for Fusion Energy had only thanked them for the service this afternoon too  Smiley
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 17:41:55 »

Principles of service WEB    2   Flooding Train Plan Thursday 9th January 2014    Sent 09/01/14 14:41

Class 1 Paddington/Oxford/North Cotswolds
All Class 1 services between Paddington ^ Oxford/Worcester/Hereford and v.v cancelled with the following exceptions;

[...]
1W08 1822 Paddington ^ planned for booked route SSO Didcot Parkway
1W09 1922 Paddington ^ Hereford diverts via Kemble

Class 2 Paddington/Oxford
All Class 2 services between Paddington ^ Oxford and v.v operate between Paddington and Didcot Parkway only.

A shuttle service will operate between Didcot PW (Permanent Way) and Oxford using a fleet of 3 dedicated turbos to prevent vast majority of fleet passing through flood water. The 3 turbos will end at Reading TCD Wednesday night for inspection if required.
The shuttle service will operate at xx26 and xx57 from Didcot PW ^ Oxford (with the intention of connecting with the services ex Paddington). They will operate at xx07 and xx37 from Oxford ^ Didcot (with the intention of connecting into the services to Paddington).

NBN if delays start to accumulate between Oxford and Didcot, then the xx37 ex Oxford to be withdrawn and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to put SSO for Didcot PW into their xx43 departure ex Oxford.
The xx10 XC departure ex Reading to have SSO put in for Didcot PW.

Oxford ^ North Cotswolds
The service will run with current headcodes and be timed to depart Oxford as they currently do in the advertised times shown. These services will run as far as Worcester Shrub Hill only to form return workings.
The exception from Wednesday 8th, being that we will also run the Morton In Marsh services, starting from Oxford and terminating at Oxford.

Oxford ^ Banbury
Services will operate as booked between Oxford and Banbury and v.v. Services will not operate South of Oxford

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 21:30:26 »

Looks like the 19.48 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill ran even though that suggests it shouldn't have?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 21:39:36 »

Looks like the 19.48 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill ran even though that suggests it shouldn't have?

That's a Cheltenham Spa train that gets extended, I think

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 07:02:27 »

It usually goes to Worcester Shrub Hill (every day) and still is as far as I can see even though the information suggests it shouldn't be running. I can't  complain.. If it runs today I hope to be on it
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 07:14:24 »

0654 from Twyford was cancelled again, but I was in time for the 0643 (the 0609 from Newbury). However the 180 was failed after the TM(resolve) spent 20 minutes trying to close an errant door so everyone had to run over the bridge for the 0705. I'm now wedged onto that train with everyone off the 0643 and 0654 and we haven't reached Maidenhead yet...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:47:23 by BBM » Logged
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:09 »

...and at Maidenhead the whole length of Platform 4 was about 5 deep, many couldn't board. Now at Slough, looks like no one can board. Oh well, TGIF!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:59 »

The 1822 HFD» (Hereford - next trains) shown all day as running via Stroud, finally went booked route - if only they'd told people....
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 12:54:05 »

It usually goes to Worcester Shrub Hill (every day) and still is as far as I can see even though the information suggests it shouldn't be running. I can't  complain.. If it runs today I hope to be on it
Yes it does, but it runs via Swindon and Gloucester rather than Oxford so there are no problems with it running despite the flooding.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 15:06:08 »

Earlier today there was a confidence that normal services would be resumed on Saturday. However, recent communications are far more guarded.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 09:57:18 »

Not a lot of news in FGW (First Great Western) land about this of course, but XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) began running through Radley at 3 pm yesterday (Friday). I caught 1745 northbound XC at Bournemouth which had arrived from Manchester and going back to Manchester (not just Reading) which had come through Oxford southbound at about 1515 hrs. 

When we arrive at Reading P8 at 1910 the CIS (Customer Information System) was saying it was the 1919 to Cheltenham.  Nothing on any screens anywhere saying there was a XC going through to Oxford and Manchester (we've talked about rubbish CIS at Reading before).  But must pay credit to the train announcer who was valiantly trying to keep passengers informed of what was going on.

If XC can run their Voyagers through Kennington, why can't FGW run a half-decent service?

edit:  minor syntax

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:32:57 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 10:54:01 »

With XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) running, there would be a reasonably fast service in theory to Oxford from London with one change at Reading and no other stops. XC is only running one service an hour though; the other is still terminating in Birmingham.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 11:03:18 »

If XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) can run their Voyagers through Kennington, why can't FGW (First Great Western) run a half-decent service?

XC didn't run anything at all Wednesday and Thursday and started (as stated) an hourly service yesterday afternoon.  The flood waters have now receded slightly meaning that rather than single line working with a Pilotman, both main lines were open yesterday with a 5mph restriction and trains being 'talked' by one signal.  That means more trains could run so XC were allowed their one path an hour in addition to the one path an hour for FGW that has been running the last couple of days.  Personally I think that more passenger trains could and should have operated.  Not many more trains in total could have run through the area than were actually allowed to, but freight services appeared, to me at least, to get an inordinate slice of the pathing pie, with the passenger operators getting a very rum deal!

Botley Road and Abingdon Road remain closed today.

Once more though the lack of planning on the ground was shockingly bad on occasions.  This can be excused, to an extent, early within the incident, but several days in and trains running to the amended plan are still being cancelled at very short notice (and in some cases then hastily reinstated last minute when a driver unexpectedly turns up!), or running short-formed when there's a depot full of sets doing nothing at Reading - the response seems very much on a reactionary basis rather than a proactive one.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 11:55:06 »

I arrived at Hanborough station at around 17.15 for the Down stopper that was starting from Oxford instyead of Didcot to see around a dozen people who had arrived for the Up train from Hereford that was showing on our new screen as cancelled. I asked some if they werewaiting for this train as the next Up train was considerably later at 18.44 and it seemed that was the case. I pointed out that this train had been identified as cancelled some hours before and asked if they had seen this message on the internet at their office and it would seem that most had seen this.

However the complaint among them was that the information on trains being issued by FGW (First Great Western) was very inconsistent and sometimes inaccurate. It was also
confusing because the internet displayed information on trains being cancelled together with special trains that were partially replacing the
cancelled services and some readers did not connect the two. It was said that over the past few days some had travelled on trains that had been shown
as being cancelled but for which there was an actual service when they got to the station. One person said that he had come to Hanborough on both
Thursday and Friday mornings on trains that had been posted as cancelled and that as on Thursday, he had had a train home at around 17.15 (a 2-car turbo instead of the HST (High Speed Train)) he had come to the station hoping the same would apply on Friday. I have however been unable to verify the accuracy statements made to me.

On Wednesday, by mid-morning FGW had set up the hourly Oxford/Worcester SH shuttle and this seemed to me a most suitable solution to the flooding
problems south of Oxford and the FGW web site suggested that this arrangement would continue until at least Friday. In deed, ignoring the peak
hour problems due to the cancellation of the HSTs, it seemed almost an improvement on our normal service in that there was an hourly Up departure
at 7 minutes past the hour throughout the day. It seemed however that one of the people waiting at the platform was most annoyed that he had missed his
train home as, he said, it departed early on Wednesday, so I assume he had been unaware of this special hourly shuttle that only became clear to
internet watchers at around mid-morning on Wednesday. I wonder whether this confusion had caused FGW train schedulers to abandon the hourly shuttle on Thursday and Friday with an attempt to run just some of the normal scheduled
services along the line.

The net result seems to be that there is a widespread impression that FGW had not handled the Cotswold Line rail services at all well over the admittedly very severe operating problems of recent days.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 12:30:35 »

The net result seems to be that there is a widespread impression that FGW (First Great Western) had not handled the Cotswold Line rail services at all well over the admittedly very severe operating problems of recent days.

It's not only the Cotswold Line rail services where FGW handling the situation very well; FGW ability to effectively communicate with its customers over the last week is laughable.

I am not knocking the staff on the ground or the train crew as they are doing the very best they can however somewhere even they are being let down to quote Hale and Pace by "The Management" 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: