18:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
08:30 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 05, 2024, 08:54:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[143] Something different !
[109] Learning in Spain, and learning lessons back for the UK
[96] Champion to Westbury
[83] Walking between stations
[77] Just how big is the gap to mind?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: December 2009 Timetable  (Read 10511 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2009, 18:35:23 »

Can now be found in online journey planners.

It seems a lot of slack has been cut! Swansea - Paddington in 2 hours 56 mins on the 1528 from Swansea for example!

0558 Swansea - Paddington fast from Swindon - Paddington etc.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 18:54:46 »

Thanks, devon_metro!  Wink

Interestingly, the new timetable is not yet available on the FGW (First Great Western) website, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/BuyTickets.aspx  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 19:15:57 »

No slack removal on the Cotswolds I see.

Only saving grace is that none has been added!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 19:34:36 »

It seems a lot of slack has been cut! Swansea - Paddington in 2 hours 56 mins on the 1528 from Swansea for example!

Smiley Good to see. Hopefully FGW (First Great Western) will be able to tighten up its operations to prevent delays.

Good a peak service with fewer stops. FGW are learning! Grin Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 21:40:48 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) haven't caught up with the fact that Southampton Tunnel is closed weekends from 5/6 December onwards, which leads to the planners showing the ridiculous situation of changing out of an SWT (South West Trains) service at Southampton Parkway and going forward in a XC service... Roll Eyes

Paul
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 17:47:19 »

I've noticed one anomaly. Whilst they seem to be cutting slack in most places, the 0600 Plymouth - Paddington is to be no longer. Soon, it will be 7 minutes slower and call at nowhere additionally. Most odd.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 18:35:59 »

Note that the timetables have yet to be confirmed! TOCs (Train Operating Company) are signing them off later this week, so changes could still happen.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 22:45:01 »

Can now be found in online journey planners.

By "journey planners" do you mean the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) site, because I can't find the December times anywhere else?

Forgive me for asking, but in what way is this cutting slack? If you care to consult the current timetable, the first train mentioned now leaves at 15.29 and gets in at 18.24, ie 2 hr 55min, so your cut in slack would be... a one-minute increase in the journey time.

And the other one may cut nine minutes, but loses a Reading stop at 8.33 - it might stop a few more commuters cramming on to get to London but is it wise to drop a call there at that time of the morning? I suspect there might be a few people from South Wales doing business in Reading who are less than impressed.

And someone else's trains will presumably be making Didcot and Reading calls to maintain the current frequency, so I don't think they will be quite as pleased as some of you seem to be.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 00:08:35 by willc » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 00:36:39 »

And the other one may cut nine minutes, but loses a Reading stop at 8.33 - it might stop a few more commuters cramming on to get to London but is it wise to drop a call there at that time of the morning? I suspect there might be a few people from South Wales doing business in Reading who are less than impressed.

And someone else's trains will presumably be making Reading calls to maintain the current frequency, so I don't think they will be quite as pleased as some of you seem to be.

I also raised an eyebrow at the cut of a Reading stop. Why not make it a set down only stop instead. Undecided Cutting a Swindon (or equivalent) stop would be better.

Hmm what else can call additionally at Reading? Grin Huh I hope no Cotswold commuter trains are routes via Didcot! Angry
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 00:48:16 »

And someone else's trains will presumably be making Reading calls to maintain the current frequency, so I don't think they will be quite as pleased as some of you seem to be.

I also raised an eyebrow at the cut of a Reading stop. Why not make it a set down only stop instead. Undecided Cutting a Swindon (or equivalent) stop would be better.

Hmm what else can call additionally at

Reading? Grin Huh I hope no Cotswold commuter trains are routes via Didcot! Angry

For Gods sake!

The Cathedrals used to be none stop - oxf - pad

Reading is not a religious moment

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 00:53:02 »

Reading is a major commuter destination (like yourself once Wink ). It is also the biggest interchange outside London.

However, I still agree with the stop cuts! Grin Grin
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:50 »

It is also the biggest interchange outside London.
Have you never heard of Birmingham New Street?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:25:06 »

Reading is a major commuter destination (like yourself once Wink ). It is also the biggest interchange outside London.

Yeah yeah - and I've just done five months in slough and as of 1st october will be doing 14 months in Wokingham so I know all about Reading .....

The point I'm making is not EVERYTHING has to stop there

willc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 09:52:42 »

Yeah yeah - and I've just done five months in slough and as of 1st october will be doing 14 months in Wokingham so I know all about Reading .....

No, but I expect that if a train you needed to catch to get you home skipped a Reading stop, then we would be hearing all about it.

And I can still remember, so insane was it, what was involved getting from Reading to Moreton-in-Marsh one time in the late 1990s when the evening train skipped Reading - either set out much earlier on an all-stations stopper to Oxford, or catch a Bristol service to Didcot, then get off and await the arrival of an Oxford-bound HST (High Speed Train) which called at Didcot and Oxford only, then change again at Oxford.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 11:43:52 »

No, but I expect that if a train you needed to catch to get you home skipped a Reading stop, then we would be hearing all about it.

And I can still remember, so insane was it, what was involved getting from Reading to Moreton-in-Marsh one time in the late 1990s when the evening train skipped Reading - either set out much earlier on an all-stations stopper to Oxford, or catch a Bristol service to Didcot, then get off and await the arrival of an Oxford-bound HST (High Speed Train) which called at Didcot and Oxford only, then change again at Oxford.

Not if it were in the timetable

Just as I put with, at the ideal times I needed to travel, there were more Maidenhead fast to Paddington with no slough stop than there were slough fast!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: