18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
02/05/24 00:05 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:33:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Any card is ok for collecting tickets.  (Read 7780 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: September 25, 2015, 08:50:46 »

Something I've seen discussed regularly with no definite answer ever given is whether any payment card can be used to collect tickets if you lose the purchasing card or don't have it with you for any reason.

Here seems to be the confirmation (I've booked through southern, but assume this is relevant to any TOC (Train Operating Company)), I've never seen this paragraph before but it's on my email confirmation I have just received for booking next weeks tickets.

You have chosen to collect your tickets from London Victoria. Your Booking Reference is.....
You will need to take your Booking Reference and any payment card with a magnetic strip on the reverse to collect your tickets.
To collect your tickets you can Use any credit/debit card and your ticket booking reference. Tickets cannot be issued without both

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 09:02:11 »

When the ticket seller (e.g. Southern) puts the booking into the system, they can choose whether to allow any card or specific cards.  Any card is often useful in corporate settings where employees do not have the card that was used to make the purchase and there is not time to have the tickets posted.

It appears more TOCs (Train Operating Company) are now (once again) putting tickets into the system allowing any card to be used.

Additionally, I have noticed that some Abellio Greater Anglia do not ask for a card first, instead they ask for the reference number then only prompt for the card if it is required on the booking.  Not seen this with any other TOC yet.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:19:54 »

Don't bank on that working for all TOCs (Train Operating Company). Chiltern require the actual card for retail bookings, but I believe corporate bookings made direct with the Business section do allow any card.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:36:52 »

Don't bank on that working for all TOCs (Train Operating Company). Chiltern require the actual card for retail bookings, but I believe corporate bookings made direct with the Business section do allow any card.

My emphasis.  That's my understanding too - in fact I have had tickets purchased for me (when we were filming for "Four in a Bed") and collected using a different credit card at a different station to that nominated.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 19:16:39 »

Back when I was a civil servant (retired in 2012) and used the train 2 or 3 times a week on business, the corporate travel centre bought our tickets for us and we collected them from a nominated station - in my case usually Westbury, although often Chippenham and sometimes even Pewsey. There was a standing instruction to ignore the machine's request for the card that made the booking and just to stick any valid debit or credit card in there in order to confirm. We were encouraged however to ensure we had a valid card of some description with us. I certainly never had any problems.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 07:33:41 »

I have been told, and it seems to apply in my case, that if you have built up a record of no problems with your account then any card will be valid for collecting tickets - even those not in your name.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 15:55:50 »

What's the point of requiring a card at all if it doesn't have to be the one that was used to purchase the tickets?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 17:10:16 »

To prove who collected the tickets?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 19:17:54 »

If the collecting card number is recorded, I wonder how useful a 16-digit card number would be?  The bank is certainly under no obligation to disclose the name of the cardholder.

Now that sites like The Train Line accept PayPal, I suspect we will be seeing "any card collection" becoming more common.

As AGA have already implemented collection without any card (despite having not yet rolled out the new ticket design in offices or TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine)), I can see other TOCs (Train Operating Company) following suit.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 20:01:36 »

So how do you collect AGA tickets? Purely by inputting the booking ref number?

When you swipe/insert your card, it reads all the data on the mag strip, which includes the name on the card
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 20:05:03 »

So how do you collect AGA tickets? Purely by inputting the booking ref number?
Just reference number.  Card is requested after this, if required.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 12:29:20 »

Slightly off topic, but it doesn't seem to matter where you collect the tickets from. I certainly have never had a problem at a variety of stations.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 15:34:45 »

Slightly off topic, but it doesn't seem to matter where you collect the tickets from. I certainly have never had a problem at a variety of stations.

My understanding is that you're asked to choose a station simply to ensure you collect from a station which actually has a ticket machine.   If I don't know where I'll be collecting, I choose the stations that's going to be the least trouble if I HAVE to end up going there, rather than the most likely.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 19:50:09 »

You can also collect from Booking offices.  I often collect from Trowbridge when the booking office is open to save going to a station with a machine.  The Trowbridge TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) will be very welcome although I don't know if they are working yet

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 21:24:23 »

I've been refused and told to use the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) in the past, so maybe only at stations without TVMs?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: