15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
16:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
14:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:48 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 16:18:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[197] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[99] June to December 2024 Timetables
[71] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[49] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes ahead for train users in Oxford and Didcot (Witney Gazette 14 May 2014)  (Read 11016 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:46:19 »

From the Witney Gazette:

First Great Western will be operating a new weekday 7.34am high-speed train service from Didcot Parkway to London Paddington from Monday.

On the Cotswold Line, a new weekday train will run from Oxford to Worcester, leaving Oxford at 5.14am.

The 6.49pm weekday train from Worcester to London will be speeded up to run 20 minutes earlier east of Moreton-in-Marsh, where it will depart at 7.26pm, calling at Kingham at 7.34pm, Charlbury at 7.43pm and Hanborough at 7.50pm, reaching London at 8.59pm.

FGW (First Great Western) will also be adding extra coaches to stopping trains between Oxford, Didcot, Reading and London on Sundays.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:05:15 »

From the Witney Gazette:

First Great Western will be operating a new weekday 7.34am high-speed train service from Didcot Parkway to London Paddington from Monday.

Substitutes for the 7.29 from Temple Meads which will no longer stop at Didcot. Good news that it will start from Didcot, so plenty of opportunity to get a seat. Bad news is that it'll be a class 180 so don't be surprised if it's cancelled or breaks down!

Any insiders care to comment on class 180 reliability these days?  I don't often travel on them apart from the few times when I get the 9.15 from Didcot which is scheduled for one.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:34:00 »

not bad these days!

Misssed a trick on the 0514 to Worcester - its *fast* to Moreton in Marsh.....!
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:02:14 »

Any insiders care to comment on class 180 reliability these days?  I don't often travel on them apart from the few times when I get the 9.15 from Didcot which is scheduled for one.

Although I rarely catch them, the service that departs Goring just before my train has been a 180 for as long as I can recall now, I don't remember seeing it replaced with a Turbo for months and months, so the reliability does seemed to have improved significantly. It's been cancelled a hand full of times in the past 12 months, but whether that is down to the train or issues elsewhere I am not sure.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:50:53 »

A minor achievement for CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) in its aim to speed up CL services. However it seems that it is difficult to get CL speed ups because it creates problems on the lines east of Oxford. A few trains are deliberately held at stations like Moreton and Charlbury because if they were speeded up, there wouldn't be a space for them when they reached Oxford. Lets hope that when the Hitachi SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) come in and the timetable has a major rewrite across the network a good few of the present problems can be resolved.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:02:24 »

Lets hope that when the Hitachi SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) come in and the timetable has a major rewrite across the network a good few of the present problems can be resolved.

Indeed so.  These couple of minor tweaks are welcome though.  I doubt they'll be standing room only on the 05:14 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)-WOF, but it's a train that has run ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) for many years to Moreton-In-marsh, so why not run it is service just in case anyone needs to head out to the east really early in the morning - in fact, as the ECS comes from Reading, why not start it there and provide an early passenger service from Reading and Didcot to Oxford?  It would also have been useful in providing an early service from Oxford to Birmingham, but that base has been mostly covered by converting another ECS train from Oxford to Banbury a couple of timetable changes ago.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 11:10:44 »

Does the ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) come from the depot though using the western access? i.e. not via Reading station? That could add to a tight driver's roster?

The ECS you refer to providing an early train to Banbury also came about from a User Group request....
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 12:49:34 »

From the Witney Gazette:

Substitutes for the 7.29 from Temple Meads which will no longer stop at Didcot. Good news that it will start from Didcot, so plenty of opportunity to get a seat. Bad news is that it'll be a class 180 so don't be surprised if it's cancelled or breaks down!

I have spent a month or so using the 180 services from Reading to Oxford and there hasn't been a single occasion (or my journey) where it was replaced by a different type
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 12:53:53 »

Does the ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) come from the depot though using the western access? i.e. not via Reading station? That could add to a tight driver's roster?

The ECS you refer to providing an early train to Banbury also came about from a User Group request....

It has to come via Reading station as there is no western access currently.  Wink  That may change in the future though when the western depot connection is installed, but the timings are very slack - it's booked 40 minutes from Reading station to Oxford with a (staff only) call at Didcot for 7 minutes, so I don't think that would get in the way of it starting at Reading.  Of course, there's no guarantee that it will continue to come ECS/Staff from Reading, but it would be useful as a passenger service, and arguably more useful than extending the Moreton start back to Oxford.

The early Banbury service allows passengers to arrive at Birmingham (Moor Street) 50 minutes earlier than the first direct train to New Street, which partly makes up for the loss of the very early morning Liverpool train which called at Oxford around 5:20am back in the pre-Operation Princess days.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 16:12:51 »

I have spent a month or so using the 180 services from Reading to Oxford and there hasn't been a single occasion (or my journey) where it was replaced by a different type

The infamous 1552 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains):WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) has been seeing a number of replacements with a turbo over the last few weeks - most recently Monday and Friday last week.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 16:17:48 »

One 180 was involved in a particularly nasty fatality which somewhat damaged the front end - according to FGW (First Great Western), it's out for at least another week. Not exactly caused by a failing 180 though
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 16:57:44 »

Matthew Golton advised the CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) AGM (Annual General Meeting) last Saturday, that as a result of the maintenance changes, 180s have the highest reliability ratings they have ever had and similar to that of Turbos.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 17:45:25 »

Slight dip in the last few weeks, but they've been pretty reliable for months.  Helped enormously with a combination of hard work by the depot at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and also the fact they often have the whole weekend to iron out any niggles that have developed throughout the week - the Turbo fleet doesn't have that luxury.

Busboy W1

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 18:33:12 »

X2 180s were used by Hull Trains over the weekend for FA Cup duties 180103 and 180106. 106 coming back into service after being involved in a fatality as mentioned before. 104 failed today at Reading whilst working 1W29 11:20 Ex Padd not sure on the reason as of yet tho.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 20:54:17 »

Interestingly, the one involved in the West Ealing fatality is still out of service awaiting parts & isn't due back until the end of this week at the earliest, the Customer Panel has just been told....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: