06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 04:55:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Collecting pre booked tickets.......  (Read 10167 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: July 07, 2010, 13:24:21 »

Ok, interesting scenario this one.

I'm in the process of booking a return ticket to Brum from nailsea for this weekend.  As I'm out and about (but not in the office for the rest of the week) as mom is here, I won't be going anywhere near BRistol station or reading or anywhere with a self serve machine.  Also, being in a flat block is a PITA (Pain in the A**e) as its impossible to get signed for stuff without going to collect it from the post office later.

So, if I have a print out of the confirmation, and say that I'll pick them up when I change trains at Bristol on saturday morning, will that work?

Actually, what I'll likely do is just book bristol to brum and get a walk on fare from nailsea to bristol however it is something of an interesting scenario

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 13:27:56 »

I very much doubt a print-out will impress any ticket collector - in fact, I'm sure it states somewhere that a print-out is NOT a ticket....

Are tickets delivered 'Signed-For' - I don't think they asre usually.....
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 13:42:35 »

Whenever I've pre-booked tickets from Melksham station (where there is no ticket office or ticket machine whatsoever) and explained that I'll be picking up my tickets for the whole journey when I change onto the main line at either Chippenham or Westbury, the Revenue Protection Customer Facing Consultant Train Managing Officer or whatever they're called these days - "guard", to you and me - has always been perfectly happy to glance at the confirmation email I've waved at them and allowed me to carry on.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 14:13:30 »

You don't have to sign for tickets, simply bog standard First Class post.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 14:14:15 »

Cross country gave me the option of collection or secure signed for

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 14:23:39 »

Cross country gave me the option of collection or secure signed for
Probably because the journey is in the next 7 (?) days.  They don't trust our wonderful postal service to deliver the tickets any quicker than this by First Class post.

Whenever I've pre-booked tickets from Melksham station (where there is no ticket office or ticket machine whatsoever) and explained that I'll be picking up my tickets for the whole journey when I change onto the main line at either Chippenham or Westbury, the Revenue Protection Customer Facing Consultant Train Managing Officer or whatever they're called these days - "guard", to you and me - has always been perfectly happy to glance at the confirmation email I've waved at them and allowed me to carry on.
I've witnessed this about four or five times on the SVB line.  Also seen someone get through the gate at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) with a printout, so I assume it must be fairly common practise in the area.  Not technically permitted so you always run the risk of paying the full fare or a PF (Penalty Fare) (to your interchange station).
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 17:15:20 »

FA,

Despite the website's instance, it is possible to collect tickets from the TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) at Nailsea. I usually request my tickets to Bristol TM(resolve) but collect them from Nailsea - if there's a problem, it's only a few quid for a single into BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)...

Cheers,
TLM
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 19:28:49 »

I agree with TheLastMinute: any pre-paid advance tickets can be collected from either of the two TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) at NLS.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:51 »

REgatrdless of which station you arrange to collect your pre-paid tickets from, you can actually get them from any station's TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)....
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:18 »

any station's TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)....
Provided the TVM supports ticket collection ... there are a few TOCs (Train Operating Company) who haven't yet activated all their machines for ticket collection.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:08:21 »

indeed....
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:10:30 »

See - in Ludlow I never had this problem.

Went to my nice friendly independent ticket office who would book me tickets from anywhere to anywhere, offered splits even if I didnt know about them and also would book any seat you wanted for a specific train regardless of if you already had a ticket or not!

But then there wasnt a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) at ludlow

TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 12:15:29 »

Unfortunately Nailsea lost it's "proper" booking office building many many years ago and the current TARDIS-size hut can only facilitate Jacob and his Advantix which obviously can't do seat booking.

You could try Yatton which still has a "proper" booking office. I can't say what there opening hours are or indeed if they are friendly but at least you should be able to book your preferred seat and it's only a 15 minute drive from Nailsea.

Cheers,
TLM
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55:45 »

I THINK that all FGW (First Great Western) shidt & Bachmann TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s (the blue ones that are at most ex Wessex stations) now support TOD collection despite that fact that not all of them have this advertised, as a worst case scenario just buy a single to Bristol TM(resolve) and pick up there, but i'm pretty sure you can pick them up from Nailsea.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 13:18:06 »

Well I booked the tickets from Bristol so will get a walk up from nailsea!

Managed to get a return bristol to brum for ^11

Of course, will weekend first upgrade on board so the seat reservations are pointless

Thanks all

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: