14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 15:05:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[252] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[91] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[46] underground plans for Bristol update.
[41] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] Brabazon, Bristol
[29] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some ticketing advice :-)  (Read 8313 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 10:32:21 »

The 2311 does call at Reading
Swindon (Wilts) 23:11
Didcot Parkway 23:28 23:30
Reading 23:51
Train continues to London Paddington

The East Coast website actually suggests changing there
Reading 00:04
Twyford 00:10 00:10
Maidenhead 00:18
Train continues to London Paddington

However, if you have an advance ticket, you must travel on the trains shown on the reservation.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:08 »

Thanks Brucey.. I might ask on the train if I am allowed to stay on or not too.. Since the second part of the journey isn't reserved seats anyway so technically I can travel on any train with it...So I could get off at Didcot Parkway and then straight back on the same train again surely (but then not necessarily have a seat from Didcot Parkway to Reading)..

I'd have like to have had the choice, when making the reservations, to chose to stay on the train to Reading and change there but it made up it's own mind what to do..
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 13:34:47 »

Journey planners try to make you change where it is easiest.

I.e if i'm travelling from Yatton to Southampton then I am advised to change at Bath - despite the fact that at Bristol I have the opportunity of a shorter journey time in case I make an 'invalid' connection.

If your ticket doesn't have reservations from Didcot to Maidenhead i'd probably stay on the HST (High Speed Train) till Reading. Not like there will be any ticket checks at night anyway!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 01:29:32 »

Well...London travelcards for one adult and four children did turn out to be ^13.30... And we did stay on the return train as far as Reading before changing and our tickets did get checked, after Didcot, and nothing was said..

And also when we got to Reading, the man that despatched the train we had just got off then turned to ask us where we were going and, when we said Maidenhead, he  told us to head further down the platform since our next train was shorter..Since we were going from platform 5 at Reading (not normal for the stopping services) it was very useful.. I thought that was good customer service... Grin

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:27 »

Thanks for the confirmation of the price of the F&F discounted travelcards. ^5.30 for an adult and ^2.00 each for the children.

I did read the fares info on TfL» (Transport for London - about)'s website correctly after all. Yay!

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: