16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 17:34:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[80] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[42] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[34] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "You have to buy two tickets"  (Read 785 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: July 12, 2022, 17:08:14 »

Having just read JayMac's thread, I thought I would post my recent experience with what reasonably be called a 'jobsworth'. Suffice to say it took place at a railway station, but not one within GWR (Great Western Railway) land.

I was at station Y and wanted to travel to station Z and then back to station X. These three stations are all on the same line, with the same service linking them up, running from X to Z via Y.

I explained what I wanted at the ticket office, and the person there said (and I agreed as I already knew this) that it would be cheapest to buy a return ticket from X to Z, which I did.

I then went to the barrier and put the ticket in, and it was rejected, presumably because the barrier was programmed to only recognise tickets to and from station Y. So I showed my ticket to the staff member on the barrier, who said I could not use that ticket because it was from another station, and that I would have to buy two separate tickets for my journey. I explained very carefully to him that I had just been sold the ticket at the ticket office and explained what my journey was. We then spent at least 10 minutes (I was watching the clock as I didn't want to miss my train, which was fortunately running late) discussing what my journey was (which he seemed to have great difficulty understanding, despite me spelling it out very clearly to him many times). At various points he said he would have sold me two separate tickets for my journey, and kept saying I would have to do that. It was fortunate I am of a passive nature, as at one point he said "well you should have been more honest in describing your journey when you bought the ticket" at which I explained, very politely, that I had explained exactly what my journey was. Eventually, he said he would get his superior officer, who came over a moment later, and on seeing my ticket, just said "Breaking his journey" and opened the barriers for me to go through.

Had I been anyone who wasn't certain what ticket I was allowed to use for that journey, the rail company would have benefited from getting two payments from me instead of one, as well as having a very disgruntled passenger.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 17:59:47 »

Had I been anyone who wasn't certain what ticket I was allowed to use for that journey, the rail company would have benefited from getting two payments from me instead of one, as well as having a very disgruntled passenger.

....................and an idiot employee who was even more convinced that he knew what he was doing !!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 21:56:30 »

At least 9 out of 10 (probably a far higher ratio) get it right. Then there's one.

If your gateline person wasn't sure, he should have said "don't know" and checked with his supervisor while you waited, or passed the passenger and ask a colleague later so that he learned.  Only if a member of staff is totally sure should he tell you your ticket needs upgrading to a more expensive one or pair, and to accuse you of lying to the ticket office ... well, no, no, no.

I've seen an argument before that a member of staff can't be expected to know all the rules.  Well - they should engage staff who can know all the rules, or simplify the rules to make them understandable.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 22:17:47 »

I hope you havé reported this
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 08:54:45 »

I hope you havé reported this

I haven't. I'm quite reticent about reporting any incidents about staff, as I know they have to put up with a lot of abusive passengers and don't particularly want to add to their stress. And while he was wrong about having to have two tickets, he was technically correct when he kept saying I was doing two different journeys, which I was. His confrontational stance did shock me at the time, and on that I may well take issue (and might make a complaint if it isn't too late - it was late in June), but I have no idea of his name or number (I was intent on just talking to him rather than look down to see any badge) and once through the barrier just wanted to get onto the platform and away from the station. And I would imagine he would just deny making the remark (there were no witnesses as far as I know) so it may not get anywhere. I assume the supervisor, having seen he was questioning my right to use that ticket, will have explained to him what the correct position is on that.

One thing I have since thought is that he did keep saying he would have sold me two tickets. I assumed gateline staff didn't also ever sell tickets, but perhaps he was a ticket seller who had been drafted in to cover the gateline? If so, that might mean lots of passengers there are being charged too much if making similar journeys.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 14:27:16 »

Reminds me of the time about 20 years ago when I visited Richmond (Surrey) by train and on my way back to Tilehurst broke my journey at Reading. On re-entering the station, despite having a ticket to Tilehurst, I was told I had to buy another one from Reading. Which confused me. When I mildly remonstrated, the guy consulted his colleague, who waved me through. I guess the first bloke was thinking of Richmond, Yorkshire - though it doesn't have a railway station, but I see that nowadays one can buy a rail ticket that includes a bus journey to it from Darlington.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 20:18:59 »

I generally take the view that "the customer is always right" is nonsense, but this sort of situation shows why we need to take that attitude sometimes.

My generous side wonders if he didn't realise Y was on the route from X to Z, and therefore didn't twig that it was a simple break of journey. (If it was so close by that he should have been familiar with it, I revoke this generosity...!) Or he was used to BoJ (Break of Journey) tickets working fine, and therefore jumped to the assumption something was amiss on this occasion.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 22:58:41 »

At least 9 out of 10 (probably a far higher ratio) get it right. Then there's one.

<snip>

As we seem to move inexorably towards de-staffed stations, it's worth considering that 9/10 right is probably rather better performance than the technology (gateline software) manages.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 07:10:40 »

<snip>

As we seem to move inexorably towards de-staffed stations, it's worth considering that 9/10 right is probably rather better performance than the technology (gateline software) manages.

Indeed. And if someone wishes to buy a ticket such as I described at the start of this thread, how will that even be possible without a staffed station? Ticket machines don't allow you to buy a ticket which starts from another station - would they be changed to make that possible?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 08:51:06 »

Certain TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) do now offer that facility…eg those at Chiltern for example.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: