21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
02/05/24 23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 03:35:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[216] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[102] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[69] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[66] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[38] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[28] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 87432 times)
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: July 03, 2023, 11:12:05 »

Journeycheck currently shows 20 cancellations and 27 part cancellations, the vast majority are due to ‘industrial action’.
As at 10.50, 38 cancellations related to Industrial action.

Looking at the bigger picture, GWR (Great Western Railway) isn’t fairing too badly compared against some of the other operators today. With more drivers currently in training I can only see todays cancellations reducing over the next 6 months.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 03, 2023, 11:54:35 »

Another week of an ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) non-contractual overtime ban now announced from 17th-22nd July inclusive.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #662 on: July 03, 2023, 12:22:26 »

Another week of an ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) non-contractual overtime ban now announced from 17th-22nd July inclusive.

Coinciding with RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike days on 20th & 22nd.

The latter of which will be very affected I suspect.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #663 on: July 03, 2023, 20:41:39 »

This has appeared on twitter from a driver's account

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 03, 2023, 22:00:01 »

The sad fact of that offer is that if they stopped at this:

The proposal comprises a two-year pay offer which provides for a 4% increase in year one (including retrospective pay) and a further increase of 4% in year two

This would have been settled a long time ago.  The changes to the terms and conditions aren’t, in my opinion, going to make any significant cost savings.
Significant cost savings can only be achieved by altering the structure of the franchising system, and that will never happen because that would be accepting privatisation has failed.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 03, 2023, 22:10:32 »

I and most I talk to have lost the trust of the trains to get them to their destinations, let alone get them back, commuting has changed for ever too, wake up industry and unions, please.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 04, 2023, 18:06:22 »

Journeycheck currently shows 20 cancellations and 27 part cancellations, the vast majority are due to ‘industrial action’.
As at 10.50, 38 cancellations related to Industrial action.

Looking at the bigger picture, GWR (Great Western Railway) isn’t fairing too badly compared against some of the other operators today. With more drivers currently in training I can only see todays cancellations reducing over the next 6 months.

I got the 1129 from Reading-Plymouth today, despite all the warnings given due to the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) action it was on time and normally loaded.......notwithstanding the problems  caused by the points issues near Bristol today, the effect of the industrial action on longer distance services seems to be pretty minimal so far and mainly restricted to branch/smaller lines?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 05, 2023, 14:05:38 »

1hr 40mins to get from paddington to Maidenhead last night.

Arrived at paddington 17.10
17.20 cancelled at last minute
Waited for 17.50
Platform for 17.50 dangerously overcrowded
17.50 turns engine and lights off. No announcement made about intention to run.
Transfer to Elizabeth Line to catch 18.00
18.00 runs slightly late, arriving at Maidenhead 18.50

I can’t wait to go back tomorrow.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 05, 2023, 17:51:51 »

1hr 40mins to get from paddington to Maidenhead last night.

Arrived at paddington 17.10
17.20 cancelled at last minute
Waited for 17.50
Platform for 17.50 dangerously overcrowded
17.50 turns engine and lights off. No announcement made about intention to run.
Transfer to Elizabeth Line to catch 18.00
18.00 runs slightly late, arriving at Maidenhead 18.50

I can’t wait to go back tomorrow.

Better off sticking to the Elizabeth Line. Unaffected by the Industrial action.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 05, 2023, 20:30:26 »

I think that’s a good plan.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 06, 2023, 18:12:07 »

Bruvver Mick's getting the Underground in on the act now.......

https://news.sky.com/story/rmt-announces-strikes-on-london-underground-later-this-month-12916339
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 17, 2023, 15:56:36 »

.....more tilting at windmills announced....

https://news.sky.com/story/fresh-overtime-ban-at-height-of-summer-holidays-announced-by-train-drivers-in-aslef-union-12922273
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #672 on: July 17, 2023, 17:04:07 »

Might be slightly more effective what with the holiday season upon us - there may be more drivers off that need cover
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 17, 2023, 17:52:41 »

Might be slightly more effective what with the holiday season upon us - there may be more drivers off that need cover

Effective in creating inconvenience for the public, totally ineffective in securing any more for their members.

......and probably more than slightly more effective in making people choose the car rather than the train.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 18, 2023, 20:19:05 »

The sad fact of that offer is that if they stopped at this:

The proposal comprises a two-year pay offer which provides for a 4% increase in year one (including retrospective pay) and a further increase of 4% in year two

This would have been settled a long time ago.  The changes to the terms and conditions aren’t, in my opinion, going to make any significant cost savings.
Significant cost savings can only be achieved by altering the structure of the franchising system, and that will never happen because that would be accepting privatisation has failed.

The same with RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) too. Its the conditions being ripped up that matter

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 57
  Print  

Jump to: