Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 03 May 2024
* Mind the gap - but when does the gap become a 'death trap'?
- Train strikes: How May's disruption affects you
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningShort Run
07:23 Carmarthen to London Paddington
08:15 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:56 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 10:14:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[143] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[61] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[59] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[34] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vandals graffiti Thornford station near Sherborne in Dorset  (Read 7136 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: April 01, 2014, 23:02:26 »

From the Western Gazette:

Vandals graffiti Thornford station near Sherborne in Dorset

Graffiti at Thornford rail station

Vandals who sprayed graffiti at a railway station near Sherborne should be ^ashamed^ says a local councillor.

Graffiti was sprayed on walls and signs at the platform of Thornford railway station overnight on Monday, March 24.

Dorset county councillor for Sherborne Rural, which includes the village of Thornford, Michael Bevan said: ^It^s always deeply regretted if any one besmirches anything in the village, particularly when it is the first thing that anyone visiting is going to see. It is not right. Luckily this does not happen very often and I hope that whoever did this will be ashamed, no matter what age they may be. The trouble is it makes one wonder if its going to happen again. It is causes a sense of insecurity for the community as we can only hope that they know that what they have done is wrong and will not commit more offences.^

Many locals seemed largely unaware of the graffiti, which was quickly removed by the volunteers who run the station.

Sandy Wilkinson, who runs Ellwoods Stores, Thornford^s community shop, said: ^I did not even know about the graffiti at the station. None of my colleagues or my customers have mentioned it either.^

A spokesman for First Great Western, the rail company responsible for Thornford railway station, said: ^First Great Western does not condone any anti-social behaviour and we work hand in hand with transport police to improve safety across all of our networks. We work with the police and communities in partnership in many things and would like to thank them for their time.^

Dorset Police said they are not currently investigating the incident.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:30:08 »

From the Western Gazette:

Vandals graffiti Thornford station near Sherborne in Dorset

Graffiti at Thornford rail station

A spokesman for First Great Western, the rail company responsible for Thornford railway station, said: ^First Great Western does not condone any anti-social behaviour and we work hand in hand with transport police to improve safety across all of our networks. We work with the police and communities in partnership in many things and would like to thank them for their time.^

Dorset Police said they are not currently investigating the incident.

Well, that's a bit of a contradiction; FGW (First Great Western) saying they 'work with the police.....'  but obviously not on this occasion, as Dorset police aren't investigating the incident. 

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:56:52 »

Perhaps Dorset Police aren't investigating because the British Transport Police are. Stations (even small rural halts) are part of the BTP (British Transport Police)'s jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 21:54:43 by grahame » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 21:20:28 »

One might expect the local police to have greater success in a small rural area than would the BTP (British Transport Police)?  Is it still true, I wonder, that the local bobby has a good idea who the bad boys are on his patch?  Just guesswork, as I have no idea how the BTP operate.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 21:29:28 »

As reported above, this incident was something of a 'one-off'.

I personally wonder whether Dorset Police have any police officer 'local' to this location who could offer any suggestions as to the possible identity of the culprit(s).  The old days of the 'village Bobby' who knows all the local miscreants personally are long gone, I regret to say.

British Transport Police do have an impressive national database of graffiti 'artists' and their distinctive markings on railway property, so there's probably more hope of an arrest there, to be honest.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 21:45:10 »

Ok, CfN, I sit corrected!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 21:46:39 »

Shame to publish a photo of the tag; strikes me as self-defeating.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 21:49:54 »

On the other hand, someone might recognise it, and pass that useful information on to the police?  Undecided

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 21:55:15 »

Perhaps Dorset Police aren't investigating because the British Transport Police are. Stations (even small rural halts) are part of the BTP (British Transport Police)'s jurisdiction.

Where's the boundary line between BTP and local police?  Is it the edge of Network Rail property?   Who polices the car parks / bus areas on the TransWilts, taking Chippenham and Melksham as examples?   Do the BTP cover buses too as they're the BTP not the BRP?     Sorry about the questions (but it's what the forum's for!) ... just want to know who's limited where / how far off they can go, and how far on our dear Wiltshire Constabulary can go.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 22:04:17 »

I won't quote it in full, but the general powers and status of British Transport Police officers are set out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Transport_Police#Powers_and_status_of_officers  Smiley

See also:

Route crime

Route Crime collectively describes crimes and offences of trespass and vandalism which occur on railway lines and can affect the running of train services. It is a minor but significant cause of death on British railways. The overwhelming majority ^ 95% in 2005 ^ of deaths are suicides with the rest being attributed to trespass.

Graffiti costs rail firms over ^5m a year in direct costs alone.  The BTP (British Transport Police) maintains a graffiti database which holds over 1900 graffiti tags, each unique to an individual. In 2005 BTP sent 569 suspects to court (an increase of 16% on 2004 figures). Surveys show that fear of crime is exacerbated by graffiti.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: