22:30 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
19:15 Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 22:42 Exeter St Davids to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 23:38:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[245] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[75] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[56] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[43] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[40] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[32] underground plans for Bristol update.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington Station - wow factor  (Read 33749 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 21:34:58 »

The ramp (through the H&C station) must be complete - the new taxi rank would be completely inaccessible otherwise...

Paul
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 21:42:40 »

Something I'm not quite clear on- the new escalators provide access to the Hammersmith and City platforms as well, but I can't make out what the route will be to them, and whether this will help reduce the pedestrian congestion on the way to those platforms.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 22:26:19 »

Something I'm not quite clear on- the new escalators provide access to the Hammersmith and City platforms as well, but I can't make out what the route will be to them, and whether this will help reduce the pedestrian congestion on the way to those platforms.
Not yet, access to 15/16 is still across the old bridge with the access to 10/11 and 13/14

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 22:27:28 »

The paved area of the new taxi deck extends all the way along to what will eventually be the foyer of the H&C station, with steps leading up (under the taxi ramp)  to the canal side entrance.  It isn't the only route to the H&C station though - the existing pedestrian bridge from the top of the ramp between P8 and P9 will also lead to the H&C station, providing a route through the centre of the station, ie under span 3.  

The existing footbridge leading to the H&C platforms will change to being a paid area giving access to NR» (Network Rail - home page) platforms only, and it will also give access to the H&C 'foyer'.   So to get from say P14 to P15 you'll go through two barrier lines.  (This separates the LU paid area from the main station - which inter alia closes an easy entry into LU for those who don't like paying.)  

I'll attach an extract from the design and access statement which should allow you to get your bearings:

Paul
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:52 »

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll have a nose round next time I'm passing through.
chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 08:43:28 »

This morning while changing trains at Reading there was a notice on one of the monitors regarding a new gateline coming in on Friday 9 march, any ideas? I've not seen any obvious work going on.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:47 »

A new gateline at Paddington? Only one way to find out... I'll ask Jo on Twitter...

I am no longer an active member of this website.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:29 »

Jo, with lightning speed replied:
There's a new gateline on Platform 12. That's probably what it meant.

I do now have a picture from Jo too (the gates look all new and shiny), I'm just waiting or permission to post it. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:41:48 by EBrown » Logged

EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:54 »

New Gates

New Escalators
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:12:33 by EBrown » Logged

chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14:33 »

Jo, with lightning speed replied:
There's a new gateline on Platform 12. That's probably what it meant.

I do now have a picture from Jo too (the gates look all new and shiny), I'm just waiting or permission to post it. Smiley

Ahh so that people can access the taxi rank without having to go through the barriers?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 10:19:38 »

Ahh so that people can access the taxi rank without having to go through the barriers?

That's right.  Not finished yet as a screen running along platform 12 still needs to be installed as the barriers currently don't act as a barrier to anything.  It was discussed here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=8302.30

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 19:35:11 »

Thanks, IndustryInsider.

Purely in the interests of clarity and continuity, I've now merged the two topics here.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 19:34:24 »

I had the misfortune to be dropped off in the new taxi rank yesterday evening.. It's an even longer trawl round the houses to get to it than the old one was when you get one of those taxi drivers who won't just drop you off near Paddington (Praed Street for example).. He made me miss my train so I had to wait 40 minutes for the next..

What I did notice though, and it was quite late so there weren't many other people around, was that when I got  dropped off.. it wasn't obvious which way to go at first.. In fact the whole path appeared to be barriered off from the road so some workmen had to let me through to the path and then point me in the right direction..
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 03:19:54 »

On the rare occasions I catch a cab to Paddington I usually ask to be dropped off at the front entrance to the Hilton. Then I just walk straight through the hotel foyer and out onto 'The Lawn'.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 20:28:39 »

The platform 12 barrier line was working this afternoon, with a temporary 'wall' where the glass screen will be, down alongside the escalators, and nearly to the end of P12.  The whole area between the escalators and the cash machines on the corner (ie behind where the left luggage used to be) is still being seriously knocked about, which will result in a much wider area for circulation.

I also noticed they've shifted the P12 2-5 car stop marker back down the platform by a couple of carriage lengths, one of the staff mentioned that trains longer than 5 car will continue to run through to near the buffers.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: