Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 18/05/24 - BRTA Westbury
22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

On this day
3rd May (2018)
~ Just one working lower quadrant distant signal left (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
14:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Short Run
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:59 Westbury to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 03, 2024, 14:50:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[252] Severn Tunnel emergency closure, 2nd May 2024.
[91] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[46] underground plans for Bristol update.
[41] Reopening Cullompton and Wellington stations (merged topic)
[36] Brabazon, Bristol
[29] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Loco hauled  (Read 64934 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2009, 16:23:56 »

The Golden Hind is quite tightly timed so I don't think a loco hauled set would be suitable.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2009, 16:30:25 »

Unless they are restricted to 0 MPH after failing in the train wash at Barton Hill earlier in the day, resulting in...

16:13 Taunton to Cardiff Central due 18:17
This train will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 4 between Taunton and Bristol Temple Meads.This is due to an earlier train fault.

Would be interested to see the MPC (Miles Per Casualty) figures for the set.

Interesting that there are at least 4 spare carriages (or coaches) spread around the Temple Meads area at the moment, including a purple Wessex one.

Is the Advenza 57 doing route learning?
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2009, 16:33:38 »

the purple coach and its companion are apparently for sale for 25k each

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2009, 19:56:05 »

the purple coach and its companion are apparently for sale for 25k each
Hey, Maybe we as a forum should by them and start an Open Access train company operating the following route:

Minehead
Watchet
Bishops Lydeard
Taunton
Castle Cary
Bruton
Frome
Westbury
Trowbridge
Melksham
Chippenham
Swindon
Reading
London Padd

The demand for the service is there, e.g. College students in Frome attending courses at Wiltshire College Chippenham, who can only get there by Silly O' Clock trains and having to Change. Melksham (Enough Said!) Trowbridge, Same Reason as Frome but competing with the bull that is First Group.

But we need someone to put a portfolio together and someone with a rather large cheque book Grin

Which makes the idea practically impossible... ... Sad

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2009, 21:49:18 »

If we can persuade EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))) to give us 37 425 (large logo blue, mmm luverly) and paint those mk 2s in blue and grey, I'm in.

http://mikebyrne.fotopic.net/p45918837.html

I don't have any money though.  Cry

And this plan does rather assume that 425 isn't a wreck at the moment. I haven't checked... And we'd have to get rid of that silly Welsh name they stuck on it as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 22:00:24 by inspector_blakey » Logged
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2009, 07:04:47 »

Why not get a pair of 73s and serve Waterloo via Reading, or even have a direct Melksham International Parkway - Gatwick link?
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2009, 10:52:38 »

Purely rumour, though from a knowledgeable source.

FGW (First Great Western) wish to keep, (beyond the May timetable changes),  the loco hauled set currently doing TAU» (Taunton - next trains)-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) duties.  67 haulage to be ditched in favour of additional FGW 57s, which will be 'pooled' with the current sleeper service traction.  Don't discount the possibility of another set and possible use of locos + 4 on summer Saturdays BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)- Devon

A loco to be hired to work the Sleeper ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) move to/from OOC (Old Oak Common (depot))/PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) thus releasing a 57 for the BRI LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock)....
r james

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45:40 »

DO they have any plans to have any of the LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) refurbisehed to their new standards, as I thought theypledged to have all of their rolling stock refurbished over the course of the franchise?  I would have thought it would be good idea for first group to refurbish some coaching stock anyway,as it will always come in use on one of their franchises!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2009, 16:11:55 »

Why not get a pair of 73s and serve Waterloo via Reading, or even have a direct Melksham International Parkway - Gatwick link?

Thats an interesting idea.

Or maybe Minehead to London Waterloo Via Taunton, Exeter and Yeovil. You'd need to get the train on Platform 2 or 3 so it's in the right place to go down the Down Fast to Exeter. And then the platform closest to the ticket office so it could run via Exeter Central. The rest is usual SWT (South West Trains) Calling patterns, or Non Stop...?

Another Route could be Exeter - Paddington Via Yeovil, you could be in London Paddington in 2 Hours from Yeovil which is a big difference compared to SWT to Waterloo in just over 3 Hours. Not sure of the demand on this one though... Sad

Also on another note, Saw the hired loco hauled set this morning at Bristol Temple Meads, and I'm pleased to say that the Blue & Grey BSO (Brake Standard Open (carriage)) is back Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2009, 16:48:36 »

Or maybe Minehead to London Waterloo Via Taunton, Exeter and Yeovil. You'd need to get the train on Platform 2 or 3 so it's in the right place to go down the Down Fast to Exeter. And then the platform closest to the ticket office so it could run via Exeter Central. The rest is usual SWT (South West Trains) Calling patterns, or Non Stop...?

Another Route could be Exeter - Paddington Via Yeovil, you could be in London Paddington in 2 Hours from Yeovil which is a big difference compared to SWT to Waterloo in just over 3 Hours. Not sure of the demand on this one though... Sad

Also on another note, Saw the hired loco hauled set this morning at Bristol Temple Meads, and I'm pleased to say that the Blue & Grey BSO (Brake Standard Open (carriage)) is back Grin

Oh dear. I don't want to rain on this particular parade (not least because it would be fantastic to operate that service with 73s!) but they're limited to 60 mph off the juice, and don't have any electric train supply when running on diesel (pre-heat only). So it might be a bit sweaty/chilly (depending on the time of year) except for the WAT - RDG(resolve) leg!

BTW (by the way) I checked and 37 425 is still stored by EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))), so they haven't scrapped it yet. Phew!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2009, 19:06:45 »

Oh dear. I don't want to rain on this particular parade (not least because it would be fantastic to operate that service with 73s!) but they're limited to 60 mph off the juice, and don't have any electric train supply when running on diesel (pre-heat only). So it might be a bit sweaty/chilly (depending on the time of year) except for the WAT - RDG(resolve) leg!

BTW (by the way) I checked and 37 425 is still stored by EWS (English Welsh & Scottish Railway Ltd, now known as DB Schenker Rail (UK (United Kingdom))), so they haven't scrapped it yet. Phew!

not like me to throw a spanner in the works on a silly idea but adding exeter into that idea adds alot of time! i was going to say taunton straight to yeovil via that bit of trac that links pen mill to y j but that would involve alot of forwards and backwards
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2009, 20:24:42 »

not like me to throw a spanner in the works on a silly idea but adding exeter into that idea adds alot of time! i was going to say taunton straight to yeovil via that bit of trac that links pen mill to y j but that would involve alot of forwards and backwards

Yeah, which is why I suggested running via Exeter, Because at least the train keeps going in the same direction. and yes your right, it's a silly idea, but one that is ever so slightly possible... Tongue

If you went Taunton - Y J, you would have to platform on the Down Fast at Castle Cary, thus holding up FGW (First Great Western) Services to Devon and Cornwall. Reverse their onto the YPM - YJ Line down to YJ and reverse again to get to London. I think FGW and SWT (South West Trains) would frown heavily upon that. Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2009, 22:48:37 »

Yeah, which is why I suggested running via Exeter, Because at least the train keeps going in the same direction. and yes your right, it's a silly idea, but one that is ever so slightly possible... Tongue

If you went Taunton - Y J, you would have to platform on the Down Fast at Castle Cary, thus holding up FGW (First Great Western) Services to Devon and Cornwall. Reverse their onto the YPM - YJ Line down to YJ and reverse again to get to London. I think FGW and SWT (South West Trains) would frown heavily upon that. Grin

would be funny tho lol ''we are sorry to anounce that the 1710 fgw service for padington has been delayed by 30 mins this is due to the coffee shop express stealing its path! it has also stolen the traveling chef which is why you never see one!!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2009, 22:53:47 »

The loco that FGW (First Great Western) are going to use for the Padd-OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves is to be no other than Western Champion, and that isn't a joke! came from a very good source!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2009, 23:19:58 »

The loco that FGW (First Great Western) are going to use for the Padd-OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves is to be no other than Western Champion, and that isn't a joke! came from a very good source!

Good source claims no longer happening
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: