18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
02/05/24 00:05 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:44:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: FirstGroup win InterCity West Coast Franchise  (Read 107522 times)
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2012, 19:16:34 »

But had premium profiles to take that into account. A bid using just the existing fleet would probably have been able to pay greater premiums. Virgin did very well out the West Coast franchise, the failure of Railtrack and the delays to the West Coast Route Modernisation meant they had the franchise renegotiated on very favourable terms for them.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2012, 19:57:00 »

They bought new trains for both WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)) and Cross Country when they took over didn't they?  That was not specified in the ITT (Invitation to Tender).

They ordered new trains. They certainly didn't buy them.

And paid the additional leasing costs!

My apologies if my response came across as curt. I realise you weren't suggesting Virgin actually own the trains.

Just a little sensitive at the moment to all the misinformation coming from the Virgin Supporters Club.

Most recent thing I saw that had me shaking me head was someone saying that Richard Branson should refuse to sell his trains to First Group.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2012, 21:53:13 »

They bought new trains for both WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)) and Cross Country when they took over didn't they?  That was not specified in the ITT (Invitation to Tender).

My apologies if my response came across as curt. I realise you weren't suggesting Virgin actually own the trains.

Just a little sensitive at the moment to all the misinformation coming from the Virgin Supporters Club.

Most recent thing I saw that had me shaking me head was someone saying that Richard Branson should refuse to sell his trains to First Group.  Roll Eyes

I too am getting very annoyed at the Virgin Supporters Club.  Just trying to find the truth in all the misinformation around.  No apology required.

Edit Very annoyed is understating somewhat
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2012, 22:08:07 »

To be fair to Branson (I too, don't understand the obsession with calling him other names), his article in the Telegraph is quite fair. Of course, it doesn't mean he should retain the WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority))!

Also, to be fair, it should be remembered that Sir Richard Branson is an accomplished and experienced self-publicist.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2012, 10:08:46 »

I too am getting very annoyed at the Virgin Supporters Club.  Just trying to find the truth in all the misinformation around.  No apology required.

Edit Very annoyed is understating somewhat
There may be a Virgin Supporters club, but when 100,000 sign a petition there must be very strong feeling.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2012, 11:14:18 »

There may be a Virgin Supporters club, but when 100,000 sign a petition there must be very strong feeling.

Or 130,000+ people falling for slick PR (Public Relations), misinformation and following a social media herd. Franchise bids and award decisions are governed by carefully laid down rules and the rule of law. Not the rule of the mob. They are not decided by a public vote, and nor should they be. We don't have a say in the award of other government contracts to the private sector, why should railway franchises be any different? There are already enough layers of scrutiny and oversight without the need for another one. Government business would grind to a halt if every contract award had to be decided by public referenda.

Now, a petition asking the government to debate the franchising process is one I would sign.

But you'll no more get me to sign this petition than a 'Reinstate First Great Western' one in December when it's announced they've lost to National Express.  Tongue Wink Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2012, 11:25:43 »

As I said Phile: 0.3% of Virgins passenger numbers. Hardly a strong feeling.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2012, 11:54:38 »

What do you suppose the proportion would be if, for example, Virgin Season Ticket holders were allowed to sign the petition more than once?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01:01 »

To be pedantic, Virgin don't have 30,000,000 individual passengers. That number is the amount of journeys made by their passengers.

Still, 138,000+ e-petitioners is easily a small minority of the West Coast's individual passenger count. And....

What do you suppose the proportion would be if, for example, Virgin Season Ticket holders were allowed to sign the petition more than once?

.... anyone can sign the e-petition more than once and I suspect many have.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2012, 12:06:28 »

I'm also wondering how many people who signed the petition actually use the services of Virgin Trains?
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:41 »

To be pedantic, Virgin don't have 30,000,000 individual passengers. That number is the amount of journeys made by their passengers.

As I said originally, it's a misprint and I provided the quote.

Oh, just to be pedantic, it's 30200000...

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2012, 13:35:47 »

As I said originally, it's a misprint and I provided the quote.

Did you? Where?

It wasn't here:
[...]
About 31 million passengers travel on the West Coast Mainline every year.

...because all you did was type in a number with no verifiable source; and I can't see anything where you said it was a misprint.

EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2012, 14:22:37 »

Actually, it was there. I'm sure you can see the post was edited, I may have mistakenly removed it, but it was there.

How's the Office of Rail Regulation *official* statistics for you? (The 30200000 number). You're more than welcome to go and check.

The other was quoted from an article, by all means Google it to find out where it is from. Is that okay with you too?

Kindly don't tell me what I have or haven't done. Oddly, you don't know, do you? It's a little like me saying "you just post to wind people up". By all means assume, and yes, I assume you just post to wind people up (so we're clear).

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2012, 14:25:45 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The West Coast Mainline route serves 31 million passengers travelling between London, the West Midlands, the North West, North Wales and the central belt of Scotland.

Virgin has run the franchise since 1997, during which time passenger numbers have doubled.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2012, 15:49:25 »

Actually, it was there. I'm sure you can see the post was edited, I may have mistakenly removed it, but it was there.

If you say so.

How's the Office of Rail Regulation *official* statistics for you? (The 30200000 number). You're more than welcome to go and check.

It took some finding, but it's here: http://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/displayreport/report/html/3137c454-9748-425e-aa73-963486fa729a.

However, the actual statistic refers to 'Passenger Journeys'. The distinction is important: since almost every passenger makes at least two journeys (and holders of Annual Seasons 200 or more), it follows that arguing that '100,000 people' signing a petition is '0.3% of Virgins[sic] Passenger numbers' is faintly ridiculous. It might be arithmetically correct, but it's as statistically meaningless as saying 100,000 signatories is only 1% of the number of slugs found in forty acres of farmland**.

** No, I didn't make it up: http://www.slugoff.co.uk/slug-facts/facts

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: