Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:43 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 07:39:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[147] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[83] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[49] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] underground plans for Bristol update.
[32] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[31] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: FirstGroup win InterCity West Coast Franchise  (Read 107540 times)
SapperPsmith

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:45 »

If Virgin win then how can HMG conduct any procurement in future without someone going for judicial review?  MoD equipment springs to mind.
dking

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2012, 10:18:03 »

Take a look at this

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2012/08/28/virgin-warns-first-running-west-coast-main-line-may-improve-services/

Edited to fix link. bignosemac
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 16:47:53 by bignosemac » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2012, 11:36:24 »

Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2012, 11:46:04 »

Have Virgin revealed any details of the content of their bid?  I cannot recall seeing any offer of what they would do as franchise holder.

I also observed that Virgin Rail Limited is the company putting up the legal challenge, whereas West Coast Trains Ltd are the current franchise holder.  Should I read anything into this other than a new company has been set up to handle the new franchise?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2012, 11:55:42 »

Should I read anything into this other than a new company has been set up to handle the new franchise?

I wouldn't worry.  Franchise renewal always involves a new company, even if the incumbent retains it, for example the current 'SWT (South West Trains)' is not legally the same company as the previous 'SWT'.  (I can't recall the subtle differnce in the underlying 'company name', but do remember it being slightly changed.)

Paul
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 29, 2012, 12:11:07 »

I think it was South West to South Western.

Just like Great Western to Greater Western.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2012, 15:31:15 »

there is a pro-First epetition now by the looks of it http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37539 not as many signiatures as the other one though!
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2012, 17:21:17 »

It would be very interesting if First Group (GW (Great Western), FC(resolve), TP, SR(resolve), HT (Hull Trains)) advertised that petition like Virgin did on CIS (Customer Information System)', Twitter, Facebook and via email. I suspect it would surpass the number of signatures on the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) petition.

I think First Group, quite rightly won't; as such, it will not get that many signatures.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2012, 20:28:52 »

... for example the current 'SWT (South West Trains)' is not legally the same company as the previous 'SWT'.

Indeed: from Wikipedia:
The legal name of the company has also changed from South West Trains Ltd to Stagecoach South Western Trains Ltd, but the trading name has remained unchanged.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2012, 21:21:19 »

there is a pro-First epetition now by the looks of it http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37539 not as many signiatures as the other one though!
Those e-petition statistics in full

http://railwayeye.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/those-e-petition-stats-in-full.html
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2012, 21:57:40 »

A few other "interesting" petitions...

Sign the West Coast rail franchise agreement with First Group immediately

In any further bids for rail franchises bar First and where they hold the franchise consider removing it from them

Stop First Group (Closed)

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2012, 22:44:17 »

Virgin release details of their bid

New Services ^ our bid also proposes new direct services to Telford/Shrewsbury/Blackpool/Bolton but they would start a year earlier than FG. We would also double the frequency to Preston and increase calls to North Wales/Nuneaton/Milton Keynes and speed up journey times between Euston and Glasgow. In addition we would create new services to Stirling, Motherwell, Hartford, Liverpool South Parkway, and further enhance services for Gobowen/Chirk/Ruabon/Wrexham, increase journey opportunities between Milton Keynes/Rugby/Stafford to the North West and increase calls at Tamworth/Lichfield.

^ Trains ^ we would replace all of the Voyager trains with 21 6-car ^Baby Pendolinos^ which would mean no diesel operation over electrified lines, delivering the best environmental solution and an all Pendolino fleet providing the best passenger environment. FG appears to be retaining all of the Voyager fleet but it is not clear whether this is a firm commitment to do so or that they have the option to redeploy them to other routes. Assuming they do retain all of the Voyagers, FG would be providing 4% more seats than we would on a daily basis. The investment in fleet would be ^385m, but no contract is in place for FG.

^ On Board Service ^ we would replace the current WIFI system with a completely new state of the art system capable of growing with passenger needs, as enhancing the current system is not feasible. There would be a complete On Board refresh. All of this would support the enhanced at seat complimentary service in First Class and a new at seat service for Standard Class. The Virgin investment in the On Board service is ^109m, but there are no details as yet from FG.

^ Track ^ to deliver the improved journey times working with Network Rail we would undertake a number of infrastructure upgrades including enhancement to allow the Pendolino to reach a top speed of 135mph in order to improve a number of journey times. This Virgin investment would be ^125m, but there is no firm commitment in FG statements.

^ Stations ^ As with FG we would install ticket gates and undertake a number of station improvement projects. We would also create more car parking, install more ticket machines and introduce smart cards. CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and information points would also be installed. The investment for stations totals ^99m. FG has said they will invest ^22m in this area.

^ Passenger Services ^ we will design and develop a revolutionary new Centralised Booking Engine (CBE) which is unique to the industry. It pulls together all of the many industry systems and provides the passenger with a one stop shop experience. As part of this we will introduce a new customer experience system which includes a loyalty scheme in partnership with a major scheme provider. The investment in this area is ^39m, but there is no detail in this area from FirstGroup
Including a number of other projects not listed above we are planning to invest nearly ^800m in the franchise. FG has said its investment package is worth ^350m but there is little detail of how or whether this is to be spent.

This sounds better...?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2012, 22:58:37 »

It comes straight out of the Virgin Trains Media Room - so you'd rather expect it to, wouldn't you?  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2012, 17:05:50 »

Not at all unexpected, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)
West Coast Main Line First Group deal put on hold

The deal to hand the West Coast Main Line rail franchise to First Group is to be delayed following a legal challenge by current operator Virgin.

Ministers were expected to sign the deal with First Group several days ago.

But they have confirmed due to the legal challenge the contract has not been signed and "the competition remains live".

Virgin has run the West Coast Main Line since 1997, but lost out to FirstGroup, prompting it to demand a review.

Labour had also urged the government to defer signing the contract so that MPs (Member of Parliament) could examine it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19467510
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2012, 20:27:19 »

Don't think this has been posted elsewhere on this forum so here is the news from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19467510
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: