08:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 05:57:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[100] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[58] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[38] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[37] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
  Print  
Author Topic: FirstGroup win InterCity West Coast Franchise  (Read 107536 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2012, 21:33:10 »

Personally I wish we can get on with it and let First start running the new franchise come december.

If Virgins predictions prove correct then shame on the DFT (Department for Transport) but I would like to think First have done their sums correctly so lets hope Virgins challenge doesnt drag on for too long.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 19:27:59 by anthony215 » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2012, 21:36:42 »

Anyone any idea of timescales for any hearing and - if it goes against them - can First lodge another action?  Has potential for lengthy delays.

Moderator Note: Post edited as it quoted another post that has since been amended. bignosemac  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 19:31:56 by bignosemac » Logged
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2012, 21:48:13 »

If Virgin get there way, it could mean all current franchise changes get put on hold if the process is put under scrutiny.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2012, 19:17:46 »

Sir Richard Branson and Tim O'Toole CBE will be appearing in front of the Transport Select Committee on Monday 10th September 2012 to give evidence to the Committee on the West Coast Mainline Franchise.

The Transport Select Committee will question Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Group and Tim O^Toole OBE of FirstGroup over the Government^s decision to award the West Coast mainline rail franchise to FirstGroup.

Sadly they won't be appearing side-by-side. At 4.05pm Branson will be accompanied by Virgin Rail Group CEO (Chief Executive Officer), Tony Collins. At 4:45pm O'Toole will be appearing alongside FirstGroup plc Rail Division MD, Vernon Barker.

Grab some popcorn. Should be an interesting watch!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2012, 19:29:13 »

Sir Richard Branson and Tim O'Toole CBE will be appearing in front of the Transport Select Committee on Monday 10th September 2012 to give evidence to the Committee on the West Coast Mainline Franchise.

The Transport Select Committee will question Sir Richard Branson of Virgin Group and Tim O^Toole OBE of FirstGroup over the Government^s decision to award the West Coast mainline rail franchise to FirstGroup.

Sadly they won't be appearing side-by-side. At 4.05pm Branson will be accompanied by Virgin Rail Group CEO (Chief Executive Officer), Tony Collins. At 4:45pm O'Toole will be appearing alongside FirstGroup plc Rail Division MD, Vernon Barker.

Grab some popcorn. Should be an interesting watch!

Dam had to be a day I am working anyway I hope I can view it when I get home after work and yes I think it will be interesting to watch.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2012, 19:39:27 »

Select Committees session recordings are archived and the footage is usually available on 'Parliament TV' shortly after the meeting.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Home.aspx

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2012, 20:42:23 »

THE TWO controversial West Coast bids which could be scrutinised in the High Court this autumn are published side by side in Railnews today

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2012/09/05-exclusive-controversial-west-coast-bids.html

or go direct to       http://www.railnews.co.uk/content/documents/west%20coast%20spread%20medium%20res.pdf
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2012, 14:30:29 »

A furious Richard Branson claims that the West Coast chaos threatens the North West Economy.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/transport/public_transport/s/1588099_virgin-trains-boss-richard-bransons-in-west-coast-main-line-warning
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2012, 17:42:01 »

I wouldn't go quite that far. Does the North West have an economy? I might go back there if it does.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2012, 00:39:05 »

Of course the North West has an economy. They have diverse financial markets.

Meat Pie futures. Whippet hedge funds. Racing Pigeon commodities. Flat Cap derivatives...

Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2012, 09:00:32 »

Is there no market in black pudding anymore?   Grin
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2012, 12:00:55 »

Is there no market in black pudding anymore?   Grin

Only a BLACK market  Grin Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2012, 13:16:49 »

Of course the North West has an economy. They have diverse financial markets.

Meat Pie futures. Whippet hedge funds. Racing Pigeon commodities. Flat Cap derivatives...

Grin

...Aye, an' ol' ale an' sandwiches too. Plus the tower that gave Gustaf Eiffel the idea. And some of the prettiest girls to be found outside of supermodel school.

Now, please!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2012, 11:12:05 »

I'm not a fan of First Group,

I sure don't like the Squeeze 'em in, with increasing seats in HST (High Speed Train) Standard class carriages.
They Run Plymouth & west country HSTs HIGH SPEED TRAINs like buses stopping at every shack:
Is there any express's from Penzance to Paddinton today?
And shortage of stock is NOT an excuse! First had some Loco hauled MKII stock and Class 47 engines they got rid off which could have done a couple of Penzance/Plymouth stopping services a day leaving the HSTs to do what they do best!
And these loco hauld trains could have made much Better use of the Sleeper Locos!

I'm even less of a fan of Virgin,

It's all pomposity and egocentric, but Sir Richard can play his trump card in December!
Remember all the Publicity when Mr Branson invested big time and paid for the BIGGEST train order in UK (United Kingdom) History!
Well come December he can shut his toys (Pendolinos) away and tell First to find there own trains to play with.

From dealing with Virgin staff, not just on the railway, they seem "brainwashed" into believing nothing is better that "Virgin"

What I don't like at all is this Legal action, OK if Sir Richard has a bee in his bonnet (I'd call it sore loser) will a possible delay be lining Virgin's Pocket?
Virgin's contract to run West Coast EXPIRES in the early hours on December 9th, so I'd like to think that should Legal Action delay First taking over, that from December 9th that EAST COAST would take temporary control of West Coast.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2012, 11:17:52 »

Remember all the Publicity when Mr Branson invested big time and paid for the BIGGEST train order in UK (United Kingdom) History!
Well come December he can shut his toys (Pendolinos) away and tell First to find there own trains to play with.
The rolling stock comes with the franchise.  So whenever First take over the running, they will gain all of the trains currently used by Virgin.

The Pendolinos are owned by Angel Trains, not Virgin.  They are merely being leased by Virgin.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
  Print  

Jump to: