Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 01:56:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[62] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] underground plans for Bristol update.
[46] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[41] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[40] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Short railway journeys: now disproportionately expensive?  (Read 443 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2024, 13:43:26 »

Simon Calder's started a Twitter thread, someone's responded with Oldfield Park to Bath Spa at £3:50, which is a fare that discouraged me from catching the train a couple of weeks ago (walked it instead). The thread's reminded me that at the time I was wondering if short hop train fares had overachieved. Also, for the time being, some are up against the £2 flat fare on the buses.

Mark

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1776168682525253925
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 14:03:28 »

Anyone else used to journeys like Worcester Shrub Hill to Worcester Foregate Street on the strength of a 6d platform ticket?
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 18:40:42 »

The last time that I did BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Avonmouth by rail it was £2 - presumably the same as the bus.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 18:49:15 »

Maidenhead-Taplow £1.90 (I generally walk it!)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 20:04:41 »

Hear are some "short hop" fares below the Olddield Park to Bath Spa ones:

Lelant to Lelant Saltings - £1.00 off peak day single (that's after 05:00).
Culrain to Invershin - £2.00 anytime day single
Ryde St Johns Road to Esplanade - £2.00 anytime, £1.10 evening or Sunday out
Wrexham General to Wrexham Central - £2.00 anytime day single
Aberdovey to Penhelig - £2.10 anytime day single
Keyham to Dockyard - £2.20 anytime day single
Llanrwst to North Llanrwst - £2.20 anytime day single
Kirby to Headbolt Lane - £2.30 anytime day single
Maghull to Maghull North - £2.30 anytime day single
Reading to Reading West - £2.40 anytime day single
Grimsby Docks to New Clee - £2.50 anytime day single
Yetminster to Thornford - £2.50 anytime day single
Severn Tunnel Junction to Caldicot - £2.60 anytime day single
Birmingham Moor St to Bordesley - £3.00 anytime, £2.90 evening

Wales Valleys seem to have a minium fare of £2.70 for "quicker to walk" journeys such as Rhiwbina to Whitchurch and Barry Island to Barry. Barry Island to Barry Links if £279.00 anytime single.

Edit - I keep finding more low fares and editing them in ..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 20:52:03 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 21:43:37 »

The Reading to Reading West fare offers great value when you consider the chances of being mugged if you tackle it on foot!  Cheesy

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 07:16:22 »

The Independent has featured "10 journeys that cost more that £1 per mile" this morning ... I have hummed and haaaed and decided that's a related but separate thread - started at http://www.passenger.chat/28618

But the £2.70 Ty Glas to Birchgrove is featured:

These are not the priciest journeys per mile in the UK (United Kingdom): most of those are for extremely short journeys that travellers would not normally make. The most expensive of all in pounds-per-mile is the link from Ty Glas in the northern suburbs of Cardiff to Birchgrove, which is less than a quarter-mile. The fare increased earlier last month to £2.70, taking the price-per-mile to £12.70.

This confirms, sadly, that I am not "normal".  But then it was a journey I walked and didn't take the train. I got off the train from Cardiff at Ty Glas, walked to Birchgrove while the train went up to Coryton and came back ...

The short journey from Hamilton Square (Birkenhead) to St James (Liverpool) does feature in the article as a short journey that people will take at over £1 per mile due to it being a long way to walk round - the Mersey is in the way!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 11:57:51 »

The Reading to Reading West fare offers great value when you consider the chances of being mugged if you tackle it on foot!  Cheesy

The trouble is that one has to leave Reading West anyway. The walk between the two stations is relatively civilised, but heading west along the Oxford Road can be unpleasant. And there's always the risk of being accosted by females of flexible morality. (Is that a plus or minus?)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 04:28:20 »

I find myself thinking that fares would be more equitably based on "x"p per end station and "y"p per mile - so if "x" was 80p and "y" was 50p you would have an alternative setup for the whole fare network.   And its in line with the cost of the rail industry to provide too, with customers paying for the overhead and use of two lots of facilities, plus the mileage.  I think taxis do it already.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 04:42:01 »

And there's always the risk of being accosted by females of flexible morality. (Is that a plus or minus?)

Accosted you should not be ... but you bring back a conversation I had last week when I checked into a hotel with the chap behind the counter.  Vivid memory with a chat that would have been worthy of us sitting in the bar and putting the world to rights.  Quite extraordinary and one of the subjects we briefly touched on was women's safety, man's drive, and whether easier access to the services of females with flexible "morality" would reduce the level of unwanted forced attention by men on women.   We touched on war and refugees, the environment, employment rights and finding the right staff too.  Like I say, quite extraordinary.   There's the occasional spark on trips like these that will be in my memory for years - the dutch backpacker on his way to Vilnius, and the lady in the train on Friday who was so "hyper" in her own business ... and we ended up having a brief few minutes, but fascinating, conversation as we approached the intermediate stop where she got off.

So - who have YOU met for fascinating conversation in your travels?  I will split the thread if people pile in answers!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: