Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:59:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Future Fares  (Read 12072 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2011, 14:15:00 »

The Franchise consultation (Pages 51 & 52) seek to bounce the main issue on fares:

Bidders will be expected to assume that existing fares and ticketing policy remains. However, the Government has announced that it will consult on issues Greater Western Franchise Replacement Consultation relating to its fares and ticketing review early in 2012 and the final procurement may need to take account of any policy changes that emerge

However on a more positive light it does say:

Bidders will be encouraged to consider zonal and other fare simplification measures and to consider opportunities for through ticketing schemes where possible.

It also raises the issue of ITSO travel cards (like Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)):

In particular, and in line with recent franchise replacements, bidders will be asked to incorporate ITSO smart ticketing and other technology to review retailing strategy and offer new products. In implementing these new approaches, the franchisee will be expected to participate actively in establishing a common industry approach to the developments so that any changes to the current retailing and ticketing arrangements retain the spirit of the current Network Benefits, providing a single, national passenger-facing framework.

If ITSO is to be implemented then a simplified zonal fares system seems to be the way forward and this would have to get rid of the anomalies that lead to the ridiculous split ticket system.  How would an ITSO card know you were splitting at Didicot unless you physically got off the train and swiped your card?

Many of these anomalies spring from the differences between the areas that were previously in the old Network South East Area and those outside it. 

An ITSO card should also allow you pay the right fare for the train (i.e. off peak or super off-peak) without having to guess that you would be able to do this on your return journey when you were buying an outward ticket earlier in the day. 

These issues were discussed extensively on this forum on http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9296.0

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 14:24:08 »

I suspect ITSO will go the way of Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) and only have single fares....
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 14:29:12 »

I suspect ITSO will go the way of Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) and only have single fares....

I expect you are right, but if the single fare is always half the return then that should not be an issue.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 14:35:54 »

The ITSO system has a very flexible specification to enable it to be a multi-use card allowing for permits such as season tickets to be on board together with concessionary passes (senior bus cards are already ITSO even if the technology to use it is not in common use) and to carry cash for small transactions such as buying a single ticket or just a daily newspaper. Again as in the case of FGW (First Great Western)'s failure to invest in car parking facilities as Chiltern has, FGW is behind GoAhead that is using ITSO on its Oxford Bus company operations and has recently started to introduce them on its London Midland trains. The Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card, due to its age, has a much more limited scope for use and linking it to the ITSO specification seems to have been very difficult (and expensive).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 14:40:01 »

But I can't see how evben a 'clever' card can predict what time one might return - so to deduct the 'right' return fare is not practical. I can't see anything on offer than single fares, ties to the time of touch-in.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 14:49:51 »

Simplify the tickets then!

Make all singles half the price of a return (by lowering the singes, not raising the returns). Get rid of day tickets - re-use less likely on ITSO.

The evening peak should not exist/doesn't work as has been proved many times - it's purely a money spinner - so that should be axed at the same time, so if you touch in after 9.30am, you're charged the off peak fare -end of.

Get rid of splitting disadvantages by reducing the fares from points west of Didcot or introducing a zonal system.

How would First Class work?
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 15:07:48 »

The ITSO card works in a similar way to that of your current debit card when buying a ticket in that you first specify your ticket requirement before the fare is taken from the credit on your card. When in use as a season ticket, the conductor needs to have the technology to read the ITSO card and I suspect that current machinery of train conductors probably cannot cope with that. GoAhead and Stagecoach buses can now deal with ITSO cards but many bus operators in other parts of the country probably have not. I suspect that the high bus use in Oxford has made ITSO use viable (as is the investment by GoAhead and Stagecoach in modern bus fleets in Oxford).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 15:25:27 »

The ITSO card works in a similar way to that of your current debit card when buying a ticket in that you first specify your ticket requirement before the fare is taken from the credit on your card.

Hmmm - that means going to a ticket office / machine before commencing your journey as now. The big benefit of Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) is that you only need to do that to top-up your balance, with the touch-in & touch-out defining the ticket purchased from your balance - and I would expect ITSO to work the same way - hence only singles available, and the time of touch-in dictates the fare level.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 16:47:09 »

I would imagine you could buy a ticket online and the "load" it at the station by touching in. This would end the current stupid situation when you have to insert your card, and if the machine feels like it, press in a code (fingers crossed it's not cold, otherwise that's difficult).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 16:59:01 »

Heaven help you if you lise your card.... First thing someone might well do is to touch it ob a reader to see where they might be able to go.

No, I suspect only advance tickets might be bought that way. Plus season renewals maybe? Otherwise you buy by touching in & touching out, and the system works out your fare. But don't lose it!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 17:06:22 »

Just superglue it to your wallet! Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 18:21:16 »

For a PAYG (Pay as you go) functionality (like Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)) you'd require the deduction of an entry charge at touch in, and an adjustment on touch out.  The entry charge needed to cover a national system would not be practical, so I strongly suggest that PAYG functionality will always be limited to discreet local areas.

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 21:17:37 »

If it were linked to your bankaccount, it wouldn't....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 22:33:28 »

I believe the highest fare is about ^1000 at the moment. So if you touch in at Newquay or Kyle....

Shocked
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 22:45:17 »

I am not sure why Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) PAYG (Pay as you go) has to deduct a high fare and refund it anyway. Even Oyster allows this to go below zero, requiring only 1.90 I think to let you through a barrier.

If you have not got enough on your card then either you should have a credit allowance (personal to your account) or you should have to pay the excess to a ticket inspector or at the barrier. 

Simple
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: