12:48 London Paddington to Swansea
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 14:02:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[73] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 3rd Jan: National day of action against fare rises!  (Read 13907 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2011, 23:18:14 »

Frustrated commuters have now had enough, and a national day of action is now planned on 3rd Jan. Riots are predicted as scores of angry commuters are expected to refuse to pay and storm the barriers. TOCs (Train Operating Company) are bracing themselves for "nightmare conditions" and are advising customers not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Parliament has been recalled in emergency, and it is expected that unprecedented powers are to be used to allow reclaim control of the rails.

http://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/
http://www.farefail.org/

Shame I've already paid for my fare to London on the 3rd! Grin
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:42:27 »

Frustrated commuters have now had enough, and a national day of action is now planned on 3rd Jan. Riots are predicted as scores of angry commuters are expected to refuse to pay and storm the barriers. TOCs (Train Operating Company) are bracing themselves for "nightmare conditions" and are advising customers not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Parliament has been recalled in emergency, and it is expected that unprecedented powers are to be used to allow reclaim control of the rails.

http://www.bringbackbritishrail.org/
http://www.farefail.org/

Shame I've already paid for my fare to London on the 3rd! Grin

Is there a news article somewhere re: Parliament being recalled early and TOCS saying don't travel unless you have to ?

I don't see how storming barriers and rioting is going to achieve anything or be encouraged by these groups.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:44:30 »

think that part was tongue-in-cheek....
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:54:08 »

Fair enough, i've think my "tongue-in-cheek" monitor blew up after too much time with relatives over Christmas Cheesy

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:03:32 »

It was tongue in cheek. I am actually intrigued as to what will happen. Will it be like the "fares strike" (currently nothing new on MTLS (More Train Less Strain)) or is it just a twitter rant. I'm also not trying to patronise the campaign, I hope it achieves something - the fares are getting ridiculous IMO (in my opinion). I'm not sure what gains the fares strike had - but I know FGW (First Great Western) did get a kick that year, and things improved later under AH.

Does anyone know the plan? I will be onboard and don't want to get embroiled in organised fare evasion! (well, not until I'm out of my meeting...)!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:55:05 »

They're keeoping things under their hats right now - I'm still waiting to hear....but it was trailed as a twitter/IM campaign....
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 17:33:35 »

Here's a thought...
Fares are rising by about 6% this year and there's the usual howls of protest and threat of action.
Petrol is about 12% higher than a year ago and....nothing. How about we all fill our tanks up but then refuse to pay the difference, or is that called theft? Undecided

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 22:24:59 »

ChrisB..If you are referring to the post above re petrol I think it's kind of tongue in cheek and is likening people refusing to pay train fares because they have risen so far to refusing to pay for petrol as those prices have risen too.. Obviously neither is acceptable...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 22:53:55 »

Deliberate fare evasion is not to be condoned in any shape or form.

There are myriad legal consequences should one decide to join such a protest. Whilst you may feel some justification in protesting in such a way, you run the very real risk of a criminal record that could potentially have far reaching consequences.

Don't think that safety in numbers will protect you. Now that the cat is out of the bag as it were, there's the very real chance that TOC (Train Operating Company) revenue protection staff and BTP (British Transport Police) will be out in force.

We are in an economic situation at the moment where inflation is affecting all aspects of life. The price of goods and services has risen, and continues to rise, across the board. Why should it be acceptable to refuse to pay the asking price for a train fare and not, as examples, your food shopping, utilities or leisure purchases?

I'll continue to offer legitimate fare avoidance hints and tips but will not be joining in with this misguided protest. I very much doubt that this protest will achieve anything except perhaps seeing a large number of people in court. It may surprise some who know me personally but that is exactly what I'd want to see.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 22:59:18 »

I know you and it doesn't surprise me.. Smiley

Also I posted what I did as ChrisB had asked for the previous post to be removed (I think) by saying "Please Remove".. He seems to now have removed his "Please Remove" comment which now makes what I wrote seem a bit strange.. oh well.. Roll Eyes (I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it up  Grin)
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 23:02:58 »

I am travelling on the 3rd, I also really hope this doesn't affect my journey in any way.

Bignosemac, as a side note, by fare avoidance what exactly do you mean? Splitting/Breaking journeys, longer journeys etc?

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 23:19:46 »

Ebrown. Yes, I was using the analogy that folks often apply to paying taxes. Evasion is illegal. Avoidance is acceptable. It may not be acceptable to those who lose out by that avoidance (ie, in this case TOCs (Train Operating Company)) and some may question those avoidance tactics, but as long as they remain within rules and laws then as far as I'm concerned there's no problem.

Some fare avoidance techniques are widely known and publicised, such as split fares. Others utilise the myriad byzantine and esoteric rules that govern the contract between the train operator and passenger. As well as more general rules governed by contract law. It has to be remembered that the rules on ticketing are written in the main by the rail industry themselves, so to my mind they have no one but themselves to blame when passengers exploit the legitimate loopholes.

I'll continue to impart the information I've learned in recent years, although some loopholes are probably the result of mistakes made by the rail industry. Those loopholes I'm less likely to share publicly, lest they be closed, but I will advise privately with the the necessary caveat that you may not get away with exploiting the particular loophole forever! There's been a fair few loopholes I've exploited in the past that are now closed, but I'm always finding more.

It's a bit of a game. Just like tax avoidance.  Wink

And not to forget. Sometimes it isn't avoidance at all. The fares system is so complex that folks often end up confused and buying (or being sold) a ticket that is just the wrong (more expensive) one for their journey.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 23:22:44 »

I know you and it doesn't surprise me.. Smiley

Also I posted what I did as ChrisB had asked for the previous post to be removed (I think) by saying "Please Remove".. He seems to now have removed his "Please Remove" comment which now makes what I wrote seem a bit strange.. oh well.. Roll Eyes (I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it up  Grin)

I know bignosemac, too - and he still often surprises me. Roll Eyes

And I rather think, Jo, that I removed ChrisB's post, as he had requested, simultaneously with you replying to it ...  Wink. However, rather than confuse matters any further, I suggest we let things stand.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 23:25:19 »

aah ok.. I assumed he'd wanted the post prior to his to be removed...I did wonder but had to make an informative guess.. silly me.. Smiley
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 23:49:59 »

I would like to point out that I do not support fare evasion. I do believe that the "fares strike" did highlight issues. Of course, most people on "strike" ended up paying anyway, as the barrier staff wouldn't let them onto Bath's platform/ out of BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) until they'd paid.

Why all this secrecy? If they want effect, shouldn't they let people know. If they announce "fare strike tomorrow" on the 2nd, no-one will go.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: