12:48 London Paddington to Swansea
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 15:16:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[73] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this new?  (Read 14134 times)
bigdaz
« on: January 01, 2012, 20:03:18 »

If I am using correct data, is it not beneficial to any traveller going between RDG(resolve) and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) during the Off-Peak availability to buy a Thames Valley Branches rover ticket ^16.40 as opposed to a Off Peak Day Day Return of ^16.50?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 15:48:33 by bigdaz » Logged
bigdaz
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 20:12:11 »

OK it would seem that there are a number of different ways Rovers work out to be cheaper than walk-on  fares. E.g. Savings can be made on a FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover) rover 3 in 7 compared to, for example, RDG(resolve) to PNZ walk on SVR or SSR.

This being the case... why can't ticket machines be programmed to a financial threshold [given the information provided by the traveller a propos their return journey and times] above which a rover is automatically issued as the cheapest ticket for the journey?

And, as a poll, how many forum members have EVER been offered the option of a Rover by a ticket office as the cheapest ticket option for their journey??
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 20:57:12 »

And, as a poll, how many forum members have EVER been offered the option of a Rover by a ticket office as the cheapest ticket option for their journey??

Once by a first cornwall bus driver on a falmouth to penzance bus.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Devon Big Bird

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 21:08:10 »

Was sold a Miseryside Day Ranger at Roby station a few months back by the ticket office as I'd save money around Liverpool, and although not railway - many of the drivers for Stagecoach issue you a Niterider for ^2.00 as a default ticket in the evenings as it's cheaper (than for example a single from Newton Abbot to Torquay).
bigdaz
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 21:35:46 »

I too have had bus drivers offer it but never yet been offered it by a rail ticket office Sad
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 23:10:30 »

Was sold a Miseryside Day Ranger at Roby station a few months back by the ticket office as I'd save money around Liverpool, and although not railway - many of the drivers for Stagecoach issue you a Niterider for ^2.00 as a default ticket in the evenings as it's cheaper (than for example a single from Newton Abbot to Torquay).

Similarly Dayriders in the day, since shockingly ^4.70 is cheaper than a lot of the single fares on Stagecoach.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 09:06:59 »

Almost always on the buses, its very rarely the case on the trains.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 13:59:25 »

As a teenager I was always sold a one day Centrocard (or Daytripper after 0930) for my journeys between Stourbridge and Solihull.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 14:34:03 »

There are actually quite a few Day Ranger type tickets that are cheaper than point-to-point fares over routes they cover.

Cherwell Valley Day Ranger ^7.40. Banbury - Reading CDS (Off Peak Day Single [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) ^11.10

Heart of Wessex Day Ranger ^15.90. Bristol TM(resolve) - Weymouth CDS ^16.40

Cambrian Coaster Day Ranger ^9.80. Machynlleth - Pwllheli SDS ^14.50

Cheshire Day Ranger ^19.00. Whitchurch (Shropshire) - New Brighton SDS ^20.30

East Midlands Day Ranger ^31.00. Peterborough - Crewe SVR ^52.80

Hadrian's Wall Country Line Day Ranger ^19.00. Sunderland - Ravenglass SDS ^26.90

Tyne & Tees Day Ranger ^18.00. Whitby - Hexham SDS ^21.30

Derbyshire Wayfarer Ranger ^10.50. Sheffield - Burton-on-Trent SVR ^23.90

West Midlands Day Ranger ^21.60. Hereford - Northampton SOS ^28.40

Heart of Wales Circular Day Ranger ^32.00. Llanelli - Hereford SDS ^35.70

Off-Peak Freedom Travelpass Zones ABC: Bristol, Bath & Weston ^11.60. Freshford - Weston-super-Mare SDS ^13.40

All comparisons are with the cheapest fare for a single journey between points covered by the Ranger and valid when the Ranger is valid.

Should any of the point-to-point examples I've listed be asked for, when the corresponding Ranger type ticket is valid, then it should be the Ranger that is sold. Whether they are though, I have my doubts.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 14:54:16 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 15:46:23 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) since Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) PAYG (Pay as you go) was fully adopted, an offpeak day travelcard (basically an 'all modes' rover ticket) is the default return fare offered at ticket offices and TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) for many NR» (Network Rail - home page) offpeak returns within London, it is also the fare normally shown on journey planners.

Paul
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 16:06:48 »

I'm sure that Truro booking office would sell a ride Cornwall ticket instead of a Plymouth Return as the Ride Cornwall ticket was 10p cheaper, I believe when the powers caught on the Plymouth return ticket became cheaper.

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 16:32:34 »

I'm sure that Truro booking office would sell a ride Cornwall ticket instead of a Plymouth Return as the Ride Cornwall ticket was 10p cheaper, I believe when the powers caught on the Plymouth return ticket became cheaper.

I think the staff there are on the ball. Ride Cornwall (^10) are valid after 0900 but off peak day tickets are not valid until 09.10, but I've always found that they will offer the cheaper one if you turn up for the 09.04 departure.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 17:14:23 »

Yes that is correcct. You should see how many Ride Cornwall Tickets are issued at Truro for the 09.04 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) departure.

This is quite correctly the cheapest deal!

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 18:00:55 »

...especially with a YP railcard, no minimum fare on a rover/ranger  Smiley

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 19:00:22 »

...especially with a YP railcard, no minimum fare on a rover/ranger  Smiley

it still applies !

on the subject of rovers being offered as an alternative i do it, especially the evening rover
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: