06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 01:57:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: England to Scotland for less than a fiver?  (Read 13328 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 00:15:47 »

I actually know what's happening on this now... I'm posting from my iPhone, autocorrect! I wouldn't do the same mistake twice in two days  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 00:19:11 »

Ahh, if it's the iPhone's autocorrect, then you have a little sympathy from me. At least you're not posting something totally inappropriate as can often happen with autocorrect.

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 00:25:27 »

Shocked one of them is really bad lol
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 04:27:51 »

I love that site but I can't help thinking that some of them may have been staged...  Undecided
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 12:02:27 »

I actually know what's happening on this now... I'm posting from my iPhone, autocorrect! I wouldn't do the same mistake twice in two days  Grin

You've been sending fair vice fare for weeks, if not months, hence my please please stop post a few days ago...

Paul

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 13:26:03 »

Fare enough  Grin
bigdaz
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 13:41:56 »

Of course 'fair' and 'fare' come from a family of words called Homonyms and are examples of homophones: namely words which sound the same but are written differently for different reasons.  Within the English National Curriculum they are done at Year 4 (8-9 year olds) but sadly mobile phone predictatext don't study in the English education system. Cheesy     ....well I thought some people might like to know this! 

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 14:11:19 »

It's also worth pointing out that I am slightly simple  Cheesy
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 16:30:50 »

Would the ticket be printed via Inverness?

What it does highlight is the point often made on coffee shop how on earth does Joe Public know if they've purchased the right tickets even when you buy them from manned booking offices the system is so complicated.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 16:32:57 »

No, it would just be a London Terminals to Finsbury Park ticket.  However, reservations would be provided, if requested.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 17:31:48 »

No, it would just be a London Terminals to Finsbury Park ticket.  However, reservations would be provided, if requested.

Therein lies a problem though as if a passanger aware of the T&C's of advance fares may think they have an advance fare and as such have to be on booked services, even if quicker alternatives exists. If problems are known, maybe a notice on home page would be useful to make people booking aware problems exist
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 21:08:32 »

There was a long thread on uk.railway in the late 1990s on this very subject. The correspondence between Clive Feather and ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) can be found here.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 05:03:43 »

There was a long thread on uk.railway in the late 1990s on this very subject. The correspondence between Clive Feather and ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) can be found here.

That's interesting to read.   I note that the ATOC spokesman, talking of the then-upcoming online routing engine suggests "You will be pleased to hear that, as part of this automation process, the NRG is being scrutinised to discover and correct any anomalies. Once the Journey Information System is in operation, you will be able to obtain appropriate routeing information for any rail journey that you are planning" which reads to me to put an official stamp of approval on the online system, and if it offers you a Kings Cross to Finsbury Park fare via Inverness, then that is going to be "appropriate routeing".    Cheesy

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 21:30:26 »

Presumably the Kings Cross to Finsbury Park ticket would be endorsed as "Route: Any Permitted", which would probably cover the TOCs (Train Operating Company) against anyone who tried the "via Inverness" stunt!
ECML

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 22:13:16 »

if you do purchase just do not try and use it
With respect, you or I or anyone else has no right to issue such an instruction.
Surely if you buy and print off the documentation, rail staff can't argue?
They shouldn't argue, because the tickets must be honoured and their Company has been compensated.

The ticket will probably just say the same as the normal direct one would or any permitted? I believe the sites also state you should check the tickets validity before travel?
The ticket will be printed with the appropriate route e.g. "Any Permitted" however a ticket is always valid by the itinerary/reservations provided, so if a passenger presented an itineary and/or reservations that were obtained as part of the original purchase that is clear evidence of a Contract that must be honoured (and ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) have confirmed will be honoured)
You would have an itinerary via Inverness, and provided you ticked the box to obtain reservations you would be issued reservations via Inverness.
What it does highlight is the point often made on coffee shop how on earth does Joe Public know if they've purchased the right tickets even when you buy them from manned booking offices the system is so complicated.
If someone buys a ticket that a guard does not like and travels exactly according to the itinerary and/or reservataions supplied at the time the ticket was purchased, the guard can either accept the ticket, or withdraw it for investigation (so the issuing office/website can get a telling off if it's wrong and be asked to fix it in future!!) but if they do withdraw it they must issue a free of charge zero-fare replacement ticket allowing the customer to complete their journey as per their itinerary.

Presumably the Kings Cross to Finsbury Park ticket would be endorsed as "Route: Any Permitted", which would probably cover the TOCs (Train Operating Company) against anyone who tried the "via Inverness" stunt!
I do not know what you mean by "cover the TOCs" but if you are asking about compensation then I have it on good authority that TOCs have been compensated, a deal was reached by ATOC. TOC managers have been told to honour such tickets and have been told they have been compensated but have not been told of exact figures (revenue is distributed through ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services)).

The tickets must be honoured, as the Contract was agreed by the relevant parties when the sale was made.

So far I am aware of one UPFN (Un Paid Fare Notice (used on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)))) which is being appealed and will be successful (the head of revenue at the TOC concerned has already agreed such tickets are of course valid and will be honoured) and one FGW (First Great Western) guard asked for money up front (an appeal is being sent next week). These appeals will be successful because a debt the same civil debt cannot be pursued from two separate parties.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: