Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 02:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 02:27:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 745944 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 01, 2017, 20:08:49 »

Really? And here was me with all my plans for the extra 6 minutes I'd be gaining on runs down to Plymouth!!!  Wink

I know that was written tongue in cheek .... but I look back at early HST (High Speed Train) timetables as while there were some fast runs, there were also big gaps.  For my own journeys, I typically need to be at [ Paddington / Plymouth / Swindon / Cambridge ] at a  particular time, and trains that's 10 minutes faster but dumps me there 10 minute earlier is no gain.

The six minute gain to Plymouth should still happen as that route is going to be operating as originally planned as electric from London to Newbury and diesel from there onwards.  The lack of electric operation on that route is precisely the reason the gains are fairly small.  Hopefully there should be a frequency increase as well as the slight journey time improvements.

Let's just hope the driver doesn't forget to lower the pantograph at the end of the electrified section, as we don't want any more becoming ripped off as happened at Tilehurst last week on a test run!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 01, 2017, 20:56:21 »

If that's a risk then I can imagine that drivers will switch to diesel at CPM» (Chippenham - next trains), and never use the electric section to Thingley Jn.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #962 on: May 02, 2017, 12:51:54 »

Slightly surprised that the lowering isn't automated when a certain point is passed.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 02, 2017, 13:39:27 »

Slightly surprised that the lowering isn't automated when a certain point is passed.

Maybe it will. It's not part of the requirement, but at least two systems (SDO (Selective Door Opening) and the track and OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") monitoring) require GPS-based location to be available.
4.17 Infrastructure Monitoring Systems
TS2002 IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) Trains must monitor the railway infrastructure as detailed in the subsections below, on a continuous basis during the time the IEP Trains are In Service. The data that is recorded shall be collected, stored and provided to the Relevant Operator and Network Rail at the intervals specified.
The system(s) provided must enable each item of infrastructure equipment being monitored/recorded to be identified. The recorded data shall, in addition to the data identified in the relevant subsections below, include:
• unique identities for each IEP Train;
• the journey/diagram;
• IEP Train position in real time;
• the route(s) travelled over including position and direction; and
• date, and timestamp data to the nearest second.

So while the requirement does not refer to a positioning subsystem as such, it has to have one. That means that including a knowledge of where the wires are, and enforcing a "pan down" before they run out, would be "only software". Or, at least, a bleep to remind the driver.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #964 on: May 02, 2017, 14:05:20 »

My understanding from elsewhere is that it will be. I'm not sure whether this will be through GPS, trackside balises or APC (Automated Power Control)-type magnets or a combination of these.

I imagine that they're not installed at Tilehurst where the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) lost its pantograph as the gap between energised and unenergised sections is only temporary. I'd expect there to be more permanent installations at Didcot North Junction, Milton Junction, Newbury and eventually at Thingley Junction and Bristol Parkway (for Temple Meads services) once this stage of electrification is complete.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 02, 2017, 15:22:15 »

Yes, if it's to be done on the move it's far to risky just to rely on a driver to remember.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 03, 2017, 19:55:09 »

My understanding from elsewhere is that it will be. I'm not sure whether this will be through GPS, trackside balises or APC (Automated Power Control)-type magnets or a combination of these.

I imagine that they're not installed at Tilehurst where the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) lost its pantograph as the gap between energised and unenergised sections is only temporary. I'd expect there to be more permanent installations at Didcot North Junction, Milton Junction, Newbury and eventually at Thingley Junction and Bristol Parkway (for Temple Meads services) once this stage of electrification is complete.

APC is only used at Neutral Sections  (Neutral Sections are a point in the contact system where it is necessary to provide electrical separation between two Grid supplies typically at Feeder Stations and Mid Points, there will be Neutral sections at Maidenhead to separate Didcot from Kensal Green)  or in a few rare locations dead sections of wire in running (dead sections of wire have been used in Scotland under bridges where there has been insufficient electrical clearance for live wires.
APC trip the VCB (Vacuum Circuit Breaker - electrification) on board the traction unit (VCB Vacuum Circuit Breaker) on the approach to the NS and reclose past the NS, it does not drop the Pan.

Where the wire runs out in normal running for bi mode trains there will be balises that ultimately will be part of the ETRMS signalling system, GPS will be a back up.  As 387 are not bi-mode I doubt they will be fitted with it. 

Normally if the pan runs out of wire the pan's ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) (Automatic Dropping Device) lowers it.  Apart from making future electrification wire runs easier one of the reason why short runs are taken off normal running (eg the Windsor, the Bourne End branches etc) these allow the pan to safely raise and then drop.    One place it has not worked is Blackfriars as the trains enter from the North some of the 319 the ADD did not work)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Gohither68

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 04, 2017, 13:56:27 »

ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) is only a protection system that hopefully will safeguard the pantograph
if the wires run out. Once activated the Pan will stay down and can only be reset by a
fitter. The roof strike at Blackfriars is a bit of an anomaly as the 319 would have had to be on DC (Direct Current) power to get up that severe incline.
    I have seen the procedure on IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains for changing from AC to Diesil mode. It's a one button job but just relies on the driver's route knowledge and lineside signage.
This sort on mishap will happen from time to time until ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) is up and running. Then the system will prompt the operator and if necessary stop the train if no action is taken.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 04, 2017, 18:18:30 »

Just to expand on ETs post above, here you will find a photograph of the first pair of APC magnets at a Neutral Section (the second pair being the same): http://www.railway-technical.com/Track-Magnet-at-Neutral-Section.jpg
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 04, 2017, 18:20:23 »

This sort on mishap will happen from time to time until ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) is up and running. Then the system will prompt the operator and if necessary stop the train if no action is taken.

...think we will be losing a few pantographs before that happens.... Roll Eyes Tongue
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 04, 2017, 18:32:15 »

ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) is only a protection system that hopefully will safeguard the pantograph
if the wires run out. Once activated the Pan will stay down and can only be reset by a
fitter. The roof strike at Blackfriars is a bit of an anomaly as the 319 would have had to be on DC (Direct Current) power to get up that severe incline.
    I have seen the procedure on IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains for changing from AC to Diesil mode. It's a one button job but just relies on the driver's route knowledge and lineside signage.

The Blackfriars strike was actually caused by a defective pan, the train was in DC mode, however the ADD is not totally infallible as a number of Eurostars found out at Saltwood Tunnel in the 1990's

In the early days of running electric trains in a new area where there are drivers and signallers not used to electric traction these types of mishaps happen, experience is soon gained  

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 04, 2017, 18:34:11 »

...think we will be losing a few pantographs before that happens.... Roll Eyes Tongue

They are designed to break away.  It does cause the passengers in the train to require new underpants though  Shocked  Grin

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 04, 2017, 19:43:31 »

Under-pantographs?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 05, 2017, 15:27:44 »

They are designed to break away.  It does cause the passengers in the train to require new underpants though  Shocked  Grin

A case off being caught with your pants down and your pans up?

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 06, 2017, 23:15:37 »

From a conversation that I had at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) this morning it would seem that there is going to be a closeure for at least one weekend this September to install the new platform face and works to extend the others right up to the signals for longer trains also canopy works ect ect could anybody shed anymore light on this ? like when !.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: