22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:46:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[55] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[6] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed GWML IEP depot at Stoke Gifford  (Read 13693 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« on: June 20, 2011, 16:17:43 »

A new rail depot near Bristol could be built as part of plans to electrify the Great Western line between Bristol and London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13837318
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 16:42:54 »

NIMBY alert

Hundreds of residents have signed a petition opposing a rail depot which is being planned for Stoke Gifford near Bristol.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-15818689
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 00:17:47 »

If Stoke Gifford don't want the depot, with all the associated local employment and financial opportunities, how about using the existing sidings site at Flax Bourton - with plenty of level land around, direct access to the main line, etc.?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 18:50:45 »

From the Bristol Evening Post:

Petition against rail maintenance depot now signed by 550 people

More than 550 people have signed a petition against plans for a rail maintenance depot at Stoke Gifford.

The project, which could create up to 170 permanent jobs, forms part of the plan to electrify the railway between Bristol and London.

Hitachi Rail Europe, the company overseeing the ^1 billion project, wants to build the depot on what is known as the Filton Triangle ^ a triangular piece of land formed by railway lines close to Bristol Parkway.

If it gets permission, the 44-acre site will be used for a main maintenance workshop, offices and stores, a train wash building, fuel storage, sidings, a wheel lathe building and accommodation for drivers and cleaners.

But there are concerns among local residents that it will be too close to houses and generate noise, dust, light and chemical pollution. They fear they will be disturbed by round-the- clock working and the value of their homes will fall.

More than 50 individual letters from residents have also been sent to South Gloucestershire Council, raising similar concerns and claiming consultation over the scheme was inadequate.

They said the area was already subject to high levels of noise from trains and flight paths of aircraft and claimed the depot would make matters worse.

They also said there were worries about flooding and extra traffic problems on already busy roads.

Although Filton Town Council has raised no objection ^ asking only for nearby householders to be consulted ^ Stoke Gifford Parish Council is opposed to the scheme.

It said it had concerns over noise levels, especially at night, and how the development would affect residents and the environment.

The site, reached off the A38 via North Way, is owned by Network Rail and leased to a third party for reclamation of inert building waste but is not allocated for any specific use in local development plans.

A group of South Gloucestershire councillors are due to visit the site on Friday, before a decision is taken on the application at a future planning meeting.

Under the proposal, rail access to the depot would be provided by new mainline connections to the Avonmouth and Filton line.

Hitachi Rail Europe wants the depot to be working during 2015 if permission is given and has pledged not to be a noisy neighbour.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 20:50:52 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Councillors view Stoke Gifford train depot site

Councillors have inspected the site of a planned train service depot on the Great Western main line.

Agility Trains wants to build the depot on land at Stoke Gifford, close to Bristol Parkway railway station.

South Gloucestershire Council said the depot could create up to 200 jobs.

Campaigners opposed to the plans said there had not been enough consultation and called on developers to pick a "more appropriate" site.

Several rail lines cross at the site of the planned depot, which is on the route between Bristol and Cardiff.

Agility Trains said it hoped it would take between 18 and 24 months to build the facility on land called the Stoke Gifford triangle.

The council's transport boss Brian Allinson said the depot was sited at an accessible location for the railway.

"When you look at it and realise the mainlines all converge at that point, it is quite a sensible place to put it," he said.

But Stokes Campaign against the Rail Electrification Depot (Scared) said not enough consultation had gone into the planning process.

Campaigner Leslie Cox said the group had "massive concerns" about the visual impact of the depot.

The main building would accommodate two full-length trains at once and would also include offices and storage space.

Several smaller buildings - for driver accommodation and train washes - are also part of the plan.

Ms Cox said: "We're concerned about noise pollution with klaxons going off, light and dust pollution and chemicals being washed into the stream.

"I would ask them to be sensible and pick a more appropriate site because we know there are more appropriate sites."

Agility Trains, a consortium of Hitachi and John Laing, said their studies showed the depot would not affect residents and that none of the statutory bodies had objected to the proposal.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 21:15:23 »

Aside from Chris's suggestion of Flax Bourton, does anybody know where these "more appropriate" sites of which the scared people speak are?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 21:24:16 »

I would suspect scared would say St Philips Marsh could be adapted to take these new trains.

I think they have every right to be scared because unless there is a major compelling case for it not going ahead I think permission will be granted as it forms a major part of bringing a better train service to the region from London which brings the potential for more business to Bristol and surrounding areas.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 21:28:53 »

I am sure there are plenty of suitable sites in South Wales, but that would create Empty Stock Workings through the tunnel.  Not ideal!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 21:40:38 »

Stoke Gifford please!

I'm just one person who would be interested in the various job opportunities. Flax Bourton is a bit to far for me to get to on me bike*

*^ Norman Tebbit 1981  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BPWuser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 23:44:44 »

Aside from Chris's suggestion of Flax Bourton, does anybody know where these "more appropriate" sites of which the scared people speak are?

How about the site of the ex Rolls Royce building, it's adjacent to the 'triangle' and railway the line? (and to Gypsy Patch Lane and the A38 for those who don't know the area)
w1bbl3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 16:51:44 »

How about the site of the ex Rolls Royce building, it's adjacent to the 'triangle' and railway the line? (and to Gypsy Patch Lane and the A38 for those who don't know the area)

I thought the owners planned to build industrial units on that site? I supose with Filton runway due to close it could even end up as housing now.

Petition against rail maintenance depot now signed by 550 people
But there are concerns among local residents that it will be too close to houses and generate noise, dust, light and chemical pollution. They fear they will be disturbed by round-the- clock working and the value of their homes will fall.

They said the area was already subject to high levels of noise from trains and flight paths of aircraft and claimed the depot would make matters worse.

I would say the residents have every reason to be scared as I don't see any major grounds for South Gloucestershire council to reject the planning application. Should South Glos reject the application I'd be amazed if the decision wasn't "called in" by the Secretary of State on the grounds of "major importance having more than local significance".

The railway triangle is interesting peice of land for a depot as the space within the triangle is generally lower than the land outside of it, couple that with the tracks being banked up and you have natural screened bowl in which to build something not visible from outside. The planting and embankments will act as natural acoustic barriers but I'd guess Hitachi will have covered in the noise assesment report.. Chemical / water polution isn't really an issue these days as the Enviroment agency require all new industrial sites not to discharge directly into water courses. Light polution will be restricted by CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about) rules over allowable lighting on the approach / vicinity of a commercial airport for anyone with knowledge of the area this is way the lamp standards around Cribbs Causeway are half the normal height.  The western part of the site has runway approach lights currently.

In terms of other suitable sites this side of the seven tunnel I supose you could build it in Avonmouth / Serven Beach / Pilning plenty of spare land and no restrictions over 24 hour working, but picking another location now certainly wouldn't get it open in time for the first trains.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. CfN.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 20:36:02 by chris from nailsea » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 17:07:23 »

Picking up on another theme - this will be one of the issues that need to be resolved before the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) contract can be signed (by May).

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 17:23:41 »

Picking up on another theme - this will be one of the issues that need to be resolved before the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) contract can be signed (by May).

You'll be lucky that would require joined up thinking by DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about).
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 17:40:14 »

No that's what they said was one of the reasons for the delay

Delays to securing planning permission and the need to conclude commercial discussions with the Agility Trains consortium and their banks has resulted in a delay to commercial close of May 2012.

See http://www.number10.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DFT-srp-december-20111.pdf

Which was quoted in another thread http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10150.msg105523#msg105523
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 20:38:38 »

Ideas dept. 

Any chance this thread could be renamed 'Proposed GWML (Great Western Main Line) IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) depot at Stoke Gifford'?   Before long they'll be building an actual 'electrification depot' for the project, to house and service the high output electrification plant, I think Swindon has been mentioned...

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: