Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:37:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Call to reopen railway station at St Clears, Carmarthenshire  (Read 6808 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: February 08, 2012, 20:01:58 »

From the Carmarthen Journal:

Fresh political backing for the re-opening of St Clears' railway station has been welcomed by the town's council.

The town lost its station in June 1964 as part of the rail rationalisation programme.

Calls for its reopening have been made for more than 20 years.

The town council has also been backing calls to reopen the station, with support from a Facebook campaign orchestrated by a then 15-year-old student Lloyd Rees.

The calls have now been backed by Mid and West Wales Assembly Member William Powell, who has called on the Welsh Government to investigate funding sources from the European Union.

St Clears councillor Selwyn Runnett, chair of the planning committee, said: "A number of us, both councillors and key supporters in the community, have been working hard to see how we can get the funding for a new station. We have had support for the campaign from Angela Burns AM and I am very pleased that William Powell is also putting his weight behind the campaign."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 23:28:50 »

I used to think opening a station at St Clears would be a good idea, now I'm not so sure.

The area's railways look to be in a tight spot to me. Cardiff generally seems to be a more important destonation than Swansea now, yet it is the line to Swansea they are improving (Gowerton redoubling, which in itself is great news) with no indication on whether the line to Cardiff (the Swansea district line) will retain it's full capability so services can be introduced in future. Any loss of the potential of the Swansea district line would just be part of a tripple-whammy (maybe even quadrupal), hitting the competitiveness of rail in the area very hard.

As SWWITCH says here: http://www.assemblywales.org/calendar-document-content?id=58373 "A comparison of journey times between rail and road shows that rail continues to be competitive on the main east-west rail route from Swansea to Haverfordwest. It is likely that the rail route between St Clears and Haverfordwest will become increasingly less competitive when the recently announced improvements to the A40 trunk road at Llanddewi Velfrey and Robeston Wathen are completed".

The A40 Llanddewi Velfrey works would make the double-whammy, the tripple-whammy being diversion of the main road to Pembroke and Tenby between St. Clears - Red Roses onto a faster alignment. And quadrupal? Loss of the Intercity services due to IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) not being able to fit through Narberth tunnel.

I don't know about the Pembroke branch (it might not be competitive anyway, but the new road certainly won't help either way) but I think there are two options to keep rail time competitive on the Milford - Swansea route.

1. Restrict Clunderwen and Clarbeston Road to a 2-hourly stopping service from Milford Haven to Swansea alongside 2-hourly services to both Milford and Fishguard which don^t call at Clunderwen and Clarbeston Road. This would give an hourly service non-stop from Whitland to Haverfordwest / Fishguard & Goodwick, allowing for trains to reach 90mph between Whitland and Clarbeston road (with a linespeed upgrade required of course).
2. Don^t build the A40 bypass, which saves the cost of upgrading the railway to 90mph and the cost of the bypass. Much the better option in my opinion, since it means the money can be used to improve public transport in another way (St. Clears station perhaps, or a waiting room at Whitland).

Anyway, that was a bit off-topic but my point is we are going to have enough problems keeping the route competive without introducing extra stations. I think St. Clears has more justification for a station than Clunderwen though, why did they close the one but not the other? Both should still be open.

If you can sort the time problem (knock 10mph off the road speed limit perhaps, hint-hint) then I'd very much like to see Pembroke Dock/Milford Haven - Swansea stoppers calling at St. Clears, alongside faster trains from Milford and Fishguard to further afield that don't call.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 19:04:11 »

I am not too sure if there is any need for a station at St Clears.

I wouldnt stop the Pembroke Dock trains there as they do sometimes struggle for time now.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 22:56:24 »

Why would you not make road improvements and lower speed limits? If you asked the local people whether they'd prefer a bypass or a rail improvements with a slower road, I'd imagine they'd pick the bypass!

We need to get people moving, and this means making infrastructure improvements on both road and rail.

I've always thought it strange that there is no station at St Clears. Would make sense to slap one there.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:41:19 »

Sorry Btline, sounds like I didn't make myself totally clear.

If bypass is built then, for rail (the more enviromentally friendly mode) to remain competitive against the car, very expensive improvments would be needed on the railway to improve linespeeds. If you don't build the bypass, you don't need to throw lots of money at the railway to keep it competitive.

In other words:
Road journey time improvement without rail journey time improvement = bad, so unless you can afford to improve both do neither and save your money.

I would suggest instead saftey improvements in the villages that would otherwise have been bypassed, for example wider pavements and at least one light signal-operated crossing (puffin or pelican?) in each village. Much cheaper than building a bypass and upgrading the railway to allow it to compete.

If St. Clears station is opened (which as you say would be nice), then improvements would be needed to rail linespeed for rail to remain competitive (unless you reduce the road speed limit).

I hope my point is clear now.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 17:49:03 »

Sorry Btline, sounds like I didn't make myself totally clear.

If bypass is built then, for rail (the more enviromentally friendly mode) to remain competitive against the car, very expensive improvments would be needed on the railway to improve linespeeds. If you don't build the bypass, you don't need to throw lots of money at the railway to keep it competitive.

In other words:
Road journey time improvement without rail journey time improvement = bad, so unless you can afford to improve both do neither and save your money.

I would suggest instead saftey improvements in the villages that would otherwise have been bypassed, for example wider pavements and at least one light signal-operated crossing (puffin or pelican?) in each village. Much cheaper than building a bypass and upgrading the railway to allow it to compete.

If St. Clears station is opened (which as you say would be nice), then improvements would be needed to rail linespeed for rail to remain competitive (unless you reduce the road speed limit).

I hope my point is clear now.

Yes, I can see where you're coming from. Hopefully both will be improved!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: