19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 17:28:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Spanish Inquisition?  (Read 13967 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 22:37:18 »

Yes, sorry Chris. Missed that salient point.  Embarrassed

But it's not uncommon for anyone to be sold a ticket only to discover later that it may not be valid for the journey they thought (or were told) it was eligible for.

No simple answers.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 22:49:18 »

Some consistency from the rail staff would be helpful, though:
Curtis ... had bought the ticket from a Goole station member of staff, who did not question his age
He then boarded the train and was questioned about the ticket by a conductor, who asked to see identification.
The booking clerk is not required to ask for ID, the ticket could be for someone else for all they know, just like a railcard, you are only required to show it upon inspection of your ticket not at the point of sale (unles that point of sale is on the train)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 23:09:34 »

Fair comment, vacman - but we then arrive full circle at the original post here, where the member of ticket staff at the point of sale (a manned station) apparently did feel it appropriate to adopt the Spanish Inquisition approach.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 23:21:40 »

Forgive me for making light of the thread, but since it started I've been itching to post this:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprjmoSMJ-o

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 07:07:54 »

Some consistency from the rail staff would be helpful, though:
Curtis ... had bought the ticket from a Goole station member of staff, who did not question his age
He then boarded the train and was questioned about the ticket by a conductor, who asked to see identification.
The booking clerk is not required to ask for ID, the ticket could be for someone else for all they know, just like a railcard, you are only required to show it upon inspection of your ticket not at the point of sale (unles that point of sale is on the train)

When I used to have my railcard - there were a good number of occasions (my guess is about 10-15) where I didnt have it with me but was buying a ticket for later use and the ticket office refused to sell the discounted ticket as I didnt have the railcard on me at the time of purchase.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 20:23:45 »

Simple response at ticket office: "Are you an impartial sales outlet?"

On-board, there is no requirement in law or in the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) for a child to produce any proof of age.  What company procedure is would be another matter.

Whilst we're on this subject, one of my pet hates is being called "young man" by people of a considerably higher age than myself.  Makes it sound like I'm still a child.  Would they like it if I called them "old man" or "old woman"?  Don't think I should moan too much though, my time will come when I fit into the old man box...
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 20:40:23 »

Simple response at ticket office: "Are you an impartial sales outlet?"

Impartiality means selling the full range of tickets without giving preference to your own TOC (Train Operating Company)'s products. 

It doesn't mean a ticket clerk must sell child rate tickets to any adult that happens to ask for one, or railcard discounted tickets to anyone whether they have the railcard or not.

Paul
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 20:49:30 »

sorry Vacman but...

lifted from the 16-25 railcard website, but the same applies to the other cards

"5. Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard."

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 21:51:07 »

sorry Vacman but...

"5. Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard."

in my ticket examiners handbook it's says different! TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s are a prime example.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 21:56:15 »

From the National Rail Conditions for 16-25 Railcard:

1. Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train. You must have your Railcard (and Photocard/Permit to travel without Photocard if applicable) with you on your journey and always show the valid Railcard and ticket to rail staff at their request. If you do not show both the Railcard and the ticket, you will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey and in some cases a penalty fare. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy a discounted ticket.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 22:37:11 »

in my ticket examiners handbook it's says different! TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s are a prime example.

It may do, vacman - in which case, which is correct?  Roll Eyes

As 'old original' says: from the National Rail Railcard Terms and Conditions:

5. Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard.

They even put it in bold, it's so definite. Wink

Terms and conditions are valid up to and including 22nd May 2012

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 22:59:43 »

sorry Vacman but...

To my knowledge a TVM is unable to ask to see the railcard Tongue
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 12:30:23 »

Try telling a ticket clerk you aren't going to show your railcard, because it wouldn't be necessary at a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), or online, and he'll almost certainly not continue the transaction. 

One or two loopholes don't make a precedent...

Paul
noddingdonkey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 22:45:23 »

When i worked in a ticket office I would sell the ticket if they had forgotten to bring the railcard with them but endorse the tickets 'railcard not seen' in permanent marker and advise the customer they must have their railcard with them when travelling or they would be liable to buy new undiscounted tickets on board. That and the stamp we had which said 'conditions advised' was often employed. Always seemed to work!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 22:56:27 »

Wow!  Whatever happened to those very useful stamps, noddingdonkey?  Shocked

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: