Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:31:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: TravelWatch SouthWest plea to Cornwall Council on rail  (Read 13056 times)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 23:06:49 »

Apparently the EU» (European Union - about) money for the coast to coast service is ready and waiting, scheme has to start moving soon otherwise money will be pulled. 
Also a new station is to be built by the new eco town between SAU and NQY (Newquay (Station)) so plenty to be done!

You have to stop listening to that source - they are jumping the gun!  Cornwall Council are keen on the St Austell - Newquay line but the price tag, as I understand it, is still a bit on the eye-watering side.

vacmanfan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 23:11:49 »

Next time ill put apparently in caps !

Andy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 16:03:49 »

It's good to see some interesting and progressive ideas emerging with regard to the development of the Cornish rail network, though the retention of the HSTs (High Speed Train) and the Night Riviera is essential, too. I don't obliging baggage-laden emmets (be they of the grey-haired variety, or those with multiple offspring) to change trains at Plymouth would go down too well for starters.

The establishment of a coast-to-coast service is an idea that has seemed to me to be worth pursuing for quite some time. I'd have thought a park-and-ride stop off the A30 at St. Dennis or using St. Columb Road might bring in extra trade in the summer, too.

I take it that the single-line stretch at Long Rock won't be a problem if the St Ives service is extended to Penzance...   
vacmanfan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:23:09 »

"baggage laden emmets".....   Don't you take luggage with you when you go on holiday?
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 11:49:55 »

Of course Vacmanfan but I thought the addition of "baggage laden" underlined the extra inconvenience involved in changing trains for holiday-makers. Sorry if it was overkill.

vacmanfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 21:25:19 »

Apologies, I just feel that the tourists get a hard time for doing nothing other than keep the Cornish economy alive.  I understand now that wasn't your intent.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 21:40:04 »

Thanks for those useful comments, Andy and vacmanfan. Smiley

I attended the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting in Taunton, last Saturday, where Mark Hopwood (MD, FGW (First Great Western)) explained again that there just isn't a logistically viable answer to the seasonal shortage of luggage space on trains to and from Cornwall in the summer holiday season.

Bicycles, surfboards, suitcases, wheelchairs, etc., will take up all of the available luggage space and more - sorry, but there isn't a simple answer, such as "just put more carriages on the trains!"  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 21:44:15 »

No problems vacmanfan and thanks for pointing it out so I could set the record straight.  Tourism is a vital source of income for Cornwall in general and the railways in particular - especially the branch lines to Newquay, St Ives & Looe.    

On the subject of branch lines, when reading the proposals about a commuter shuttle from Bodmin "Part-way" to Bodmin General I found myself wondering why this couldn't be a in the form of a heritage service directly negotiated between the Bodmin & Wenford and Cornwall CC, totally independant of NR» (Network Rail - home page), FGW (First Great Western) et al. Am I being naive?
molinnis

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 08:42:20 »

On the subject of branch lines, when reading the proposals about a commuter shuttle from Bodmin "Part-way" to Bodmin General I found myself wondering why this couldn't be a in the form of a heritage service directly negotiated between the Bodmin & Wenford and Cornwall CC, totally independant of NR» (Network Rail - home page), FGW (First Great Western) et al. Am I being naive?

I may be wrong but I seem to remember this idea of a commuter connection was trialled or at least considered by B&W in the 90's using the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) they have. Why it never took off I dont know, possibly because its run in the main by volunteers or possibly parking issues at Bodmin General.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:34 »

From the Western Morning News:

Quote from: Western Morning News
Councils well placed to take over rail lines

Devon and Cornwall are ideally suited to pioneer plans for regions to set their own rail timetables and train fares, a minister has told the Western Morning News.

The Government last week unveiled a consultation on devolving control of rail lines from Whitehall alongside plans to overhaul fares and cut costs. Transport Minister Norman Baker told the WMN» (Warminster - next trains) that Devon County Council and Cornwall Council could be at the vanguard of so-called "de-centralisation".

The Liberal Democrat MP (Member of Parliament) said local alliances could re-open lines and stations, decide where trains stop and set fare levels. Mr Baker said: "The Devon and Cornwall area is absolutely suited to the de-centralisation programme we are putting forward because people in Devon and Cornwall value their railway. This is an opportunity for Devon and Cornwall county councils to leap at this."

The move complements plans announced already to give business leaders and politicians in the region power to decide which road and rail schemes get Government money from 2015.

The plan will see business-led local enterprise partnerships join with councils and other organisations to form a transport consortium. They will be charged with taking decisions on projects worth more than ^5 million. The Westcountry already has an enthusiastic rail lobby, epitomised by the non-profit Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership which has promoted once ailing rural routes and helped secure more trains on over-crowded lines.

Rural rail travel is enjoying a resurgence, with commentators claiming services are surpassing even the "golden age" of the 1950s.

Figures have revealed all six branch lines in Devon and Cornwall feature in a top ten list of the fastest-growing routes in the country.

Many of the now-thriving routes were earmarked for closure by the infamous Beeching cuts in the 1960s, but were later reprieved

First Great Western, which operates the routes and inter-city services in the South West, has opted out of the rail franchise covering the region. The Government is consulting on the specification of the new 15-year Great Western franchise, which is to be leased from next year, and is looking to include an element of devolution.

Mr Baker also moved to ease fears that plans to find ^3.5 billion of rail "efficiencies" will lead to a repeat of the Beeching cuts. Asked whether the "efficiencies" made rural lines vulnerable to the axe as they are more expensive to run, the minister said: "We've got no plans to close lines. We don't want to do so ^ we want to see the railway grow and we're actually reopening lines."

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 19:49:38 »

Apologies if I missed this announcement:

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Councils-placed-rail-lines/story-15496339-detail/story.html

I would be fascinated to discover how this could work with the county councils set against the franchise holder(s).

FlyingDutchman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 17:57:10 »

Hi

Another article mentioning the Okehampton-Bere Alstom link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/9132021/Miles-of-rail-line-could-be-re-opened.html

Guy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: