14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:52:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW saying that the evening train from Swindon is WITHDRAWN  (Read 2396 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 23, 2007, 16:38:11 »

This is a copy of an email just sent to our FGW (First Great Western) reginal manager.

Xxxxxxx ... it appears that FGW and the National Rail folks are telling people that the 18:42 from Swindon to Westbury is WITHDRAWN from 10th December, leaving the 06:18 as the only service each day.    The online timetable via www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk offered me nothing for 17:00 on 12th, and the 06:18 (next morning) when I put in 18:00 as my desired departure time. So I phoned 08457 000 125 and selected the "train times" option ... ended up speaking with Jane at National Rail Enquiries.

She advised me for the evening peak to catch the 18:31, change at Bath (19:00 to 19:07) and Trowbridge (19:28 to 19:38) for a Melksham arrival at 19:47. She told me that was not a normal ticket route and I would have to buy two tickets for my journey.

I asked her if she had all the trains up on her screen, and she said that she did. She told me that the earlier one was 06:18 and the next one was 06:18 the next morning.  "What - nothing in the evening peak?".  She looked back at the week before and told me that the current 18:42 will no longer be running. "It looks like they have withdrawn that train".

The draft timetables I have seen refer to an 18:45, and I had understood from you and other that there were to be virtually no changes to services from December.  However, I am also aware that timetables have a habit of changing very late in the day - especially when there's bad news; it happened last year as I'm sure you recall.    So can you tell me:

a) Whether the service is indeed reduced to a single daily train

b) If there is still a train running at around 18:45, how you expect it to be used when your enquiry service are telling people that it doesn't exist / has been withdrawn?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 17:13:50 »

Just got a VERY quick reply  Grin

Fear not, this is NR» (Network Rail - home page) failing to upload certain trains again - clearly they
did not learn from May, when a fair few services did not initially show. I
will get this sorted ASAP.  The correct times are shown in timetable files
on our website (www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1930) and in
the printed pocket timetables (now available from stations), line of route
posters etc.

These are Westbury departures MF ((in timetables) Monday to Friday) 0702/1932, SO 0903/1504, SuO ((in timetables) Sunday only) 1705/1935;
and Swindon departures MF 0618/1845, SO 1529/2108, SuO 1831.

We have already started work scoping December 2008 and I can assure you
that the Swindon-Salisbury corridor is firmly on the agenda.  It is even
being referred to internally as 'TransWilts', proof that your efforts do
have an influence!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: