Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:27:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[87] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[31] access for all at Devon stations report
[19] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[16] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare dodging this morning  (Read 6930 times)
chineseJohn

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 15:23:14 »

well possibly paying less.

Train manager checked our coach this morning. Showed my ticket all ok, lady next to me, pulls out her railcard and asks for a single from Theale to London.That's ok normally but  ... considering I was the first person into the coach at Theale and she was already seated ... that's not ok!
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 15:24:30 »

Did you say anything?

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 16:27:55 »

Is it okay normally though? Doesn't Theale have a booking office and TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)?

She should have purchased (or part purchased if her particular fare wasn't available from the TVM and the office was closed) before boarding.

So, TM(resolve) shouldn't reinforce her behaviour by selling discounted ticket onboard. Some latitude should be given to DSB railcard holders though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 16:56:50 »

Maybe she had a ticket that covered her journey as far as Theale. I often use my season ticket and travel beyond its validity - and then have to buy on board as the ticket machine at Nailsea will only sell tickets valid from that station. If the TM(resolve) reaches me before the break point then I show the season and ask for a ticket for the balance, but if they reach me past the point of validity I just ask for a ticket from X.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 17:03:29 »

Bearing in mind the unreliability of TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine), I don't think the conductor would refuse to sell a discounted ticket to someone who had boarded the train at a station where there is only one TVM and no other facility to buy a ticket. If I had not been able to buy a ticket at the station and the conductor would only sell me a full price ticket at an off-peak time, I would kick up merry hell. It is bad enough when at Hanborough the machine is not working and the conductor does not come along to sell tickets, and that when you alight at Reading or Paddington, you are often treated like a criminal by the revenue protection people. I regularly receive complaints from Hanborough travellers about the attitude of some of these people. Fortunately at Oxford they are well aware of the unreliability of TVMs as they often have queues at the barrier made up of people who have not been able to buy a ticket. Now that there are barriers at the main destination stations SE of the Cotswold Line, deliberate fare evasion is much reduced as you have to pay at the barriers delaying your exit from the station and most people want to avoid that.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 17:11:52 »

That's all fine if it was before 0630. After this time the Guard/TM(resolve) should query why she didn't purchase from the open ticket office at Theale. That may then have brought to light a ticket irregularity, including whether she actually boarded at Theale and appropriate action could be taken.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 22:35:12 »

Did you say anything?
Nope - is it my business? Probably yes but as she was going to sit next to me for the whole journey wasn't going to rock the boat
chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 22:39:16 »

Is it okay normally though? Doesn't Theale have a booking office and TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)?

She should have purchased (or part purchased if her particular fare wasn't available from the TVM and the office was closed) before boarding.

So, TM(resolve) shouldn't reinforce her behaviour by selling discounted ticket onboard. Some latitude should be given to DSB railcard holders though.

As said earlier she was already seated, and I was the first one = she didn't get on at Theale
chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 22:41:03 »

Maybe she had a ticket that covered her journey as far as Theale. I often use my season ticket and travel beyond its validity - and then have to buy on board as the ticket machine at Nailsea will only sell tickets valid from that station. If the TM(resolve) reaches me before the break point then I show the season and ask for a ticket for the balance, but if they reach me past the point of validity I just ask for a ticket from X.

From what I saw of her 3 section YP card holder - one had the YP card, one had her photo and blank for section 3.

But to be honest TM's rarely check the carriage - they coach spot checks on the way to Reading. After Reading no check is performed. I am surprised they even have time to check between Theale and Reading
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: