Train RunningCancelled
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:58:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[55] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff Valley Lines electrfication go ahead  (Read 6626 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: April 05, 2012, 14:29:53 »

Just had this link pointed out to me which includes the prime minister saying the go ahead has been given to electrify some of the Cardiff Valley Lines network.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17619922

Great to see some good news now hopefully we will see the wires get extended to Swansea.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 15:04:15 »

Doesn't sound very final, just that they seem to be nearly ready to say they will electrify. If it was final, I'm sure it would justify an article of its own rather than being tagged on to the bottom of an article about NHS and schools.

If Maesteg is included in the Valleys scheme, then it would be even more daft not to wire to Swansea, but sadly the wording of the article doesn't sound like Swansea is included. Swansea - Cardiff really should have a much more frequent service, in my opinion 4tph constisting of:

• 1tph to London Paddington (Neath, Port Talbot & Bridgend stops)
  • 1tph to Manchester (Neath, Port Talbot & Bridgend stops)
  • 1tph to Bristol Temple Meads (Neath, Port Talbot, Pyle, Bridgend and Brackla stops)
  • 1tph Swanline (ideally to Cheltenham Spa, but maybe just Cardiff) (Llansamlet, Skewen, Neath, Briton Ferry, Baglan, Port Talbot Parkway, Pyle, Bridgend, Pencoed and Pontyclun)

Only the Manchester would have to be diesel if the wires get to Swansea, which should make the case for Swansea - Cardiff wires alot stronger than it is, even more so if the hourly Maesteg service (calling at Bridgend, Pencoed, Llanharan, & Pontyclun) is included.

Unfortunatly, when trying to make up a timetable based on that 'wish list' (which also includes an hourly class 158 service between Cardiff/Portsmouth and Carmarthen/Pembrokeshire which uses the Swansea District Line and makes stops at Port Talbot and Bridgend) it doesn't look like there's room for enough freight paths (and the ones that I have managed to squeese in need to be looped at Port Talbot AND Pencoed).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 15:27:31 »

Dont forget you can loop at Stormy Down as well.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 15:36:24 »

Swansea - Cardiff really should have a much more frequent service, in my opinion 4tph

But would that really be justified? I travel out to west Wales fairly frequently and (except perhaps for occasional trains in the height of rush-hour) capacity between Swansea and Cardiff is never much of an issue. I think it would be a very difficult business case to make.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 17:14:12 »

One of the many things I mentioned in my responce to the GW (Great Western) franchise consultation, inspector_blakey, was that SWWITCH (South West Wales Intergrated Transport Consortium) had an assperation for 3tph from Swansea to Gowerton, Llanelli and Carmarthen. I also pointed out that the combined population of those three places (approaching 66,000) is much lower than the combined population of Neath, Port Talbot and Bridgend (approaching 121,000). Neither figure includes the huge population of Cardiff and Swansea themselves. The point I was making: If SWWITCH think 3tph is desirable west of Swansea then a higher frequency should be worthwhile in the more-densely populated area to the east of Swansea.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 17:26:21 »

Personally I think 3Tph between Swansea & Cardiff in addition to an hourly Maesteg - Cardiff/Ebbw Vale service and a possible express service via the Swansea district line should be more than enough
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 18:32:30 »

But the population figures are fairly meaningless if they're not reflected in passenger counts. As I have said, except in the event of disruption or brief periods during the peaks, the amount of capacity provided between Cardiff and Swansea appears to be more than adequate for current passenger volumes.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 18:42:20 »

Referendum on EU» (European Union - about), Fuel Price Regulator, Health service safe in our hands - I could go on.   David Cameron's broken promises so don't rely on his statement re electrification today.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 21:34:00 »

Couple of points. (No pun intended).

The intention is to re-dual the five miles of single track west of Gowerton and to have a new two-track bridge across the Llwchwr (or Loughor if you prefer) estuary to Llanelli.  That will have the effect of removing a bottleneck west of Swansea which currently reduces the number of tph possible.  Work to complete in 2013.

The point of wires to Swansea is that all the FGW (First Great Western) services go to Swansea and it would make little sense to have to change motive power for the last 45 miles or so. 

Valley lines electrification.  Now there's a thing, coupled with the Cardiff Central to Queen Street improvements.  We'd love that.  A network well suited to electrification with end to end journeys of no more than 120 minutes and a stop about every 5 minutes.  And the Pacers could go in the crusher.

Because the Valley Lines loop through the Vale of Glamorgan and rejoin the main line at Bridgend, it would make sense to have wires as far as there to allow for diversions - HSTs (High Speed Train) are able to use the line through the Vale.

Amey have the contract for Pad to Cardiff.  They could do the rest at the same time with their instant electrification machine.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 23:17:49 »

But the population figures are fairly meaningless if they're not reflected in passenger counts. As I have said, except in the event of disruption or brief periods during the peaks, the amount of capacity provided between Cardiff and Swansea appears to be more than adequate for current passenger volumes.
There is a motorway most of the way between the two... Perhaps providing a higher frequency, plus the sparks effect, could generate lots of modal shift? I suppose I can't really answer that without knowing where the demand from the place on route is headed.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: