22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:38:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[135] access for all at Devon stations report
[58] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[36] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[7] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: BITE card - discount card for use at railway station outlets  (Read 54134 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 14:26:13 »

You are right thetrout. I'd forgotton about Boney Parts near 18/19 at Waterloo. Shouldn't have though - I often sit outside waiting for a mate to arrive in from Bracknell.

I have added an edit note to my list to explain that it may not be up to date. Best I'd could do with the limited (and possibly out of date) information available on line.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 20:54:19 »

Getting a bit peeved with Pumpkin at Taunton station.

They are still insisting that BITE card discount does not apply to alcoholic beverages purchased there.

I showed the 'Team Leader' a receipt from Swindon Pumpkin which had a discount applied to a can of Fosters. I also showed the T&Cs printed on the reverse of my BITE card where it states the exclusions, none of which mention alcohol. Also pointing out that the T&Cs state that alcohol is only available to over 18s and during licensing hours. Why, if that is mentioned, do the staff at Taunton Pumpkin still insist it isn't valid?

It was only after I moaned a bit more did this 'Team Leader' redo the transaction and actually press the BITE discount button on his till did he find out that the till WOULD process the discount. He still insisted though that it shouldn't be applied. He kept my receipt as well; saying he needed it to explain to his boss my complaint and what he'd done by finally allowing the discount.

I could've then asked for the item for free seeing as SSP state that if you don't get a receipt your purchase is free. Didn't push that though. I was peeved and the people queueing behind me were also.

Gonna have to get an email response from SSP to carry around I think.

Grrr.

Roll Eyes Angry

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 22:44:20 »

Cobblers.  Tongue

In the past, Pumpkin at Bristol Temple Meads have given me the discount on a can of cider, no problem at all - in fact, with a cheery smile!    And Ollie was there - it was his BITE card I was using (before I registered with them for my own!)  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 22:50:19 »

This is bleddy T**nt*n were talking about though, Chris.  Wink

In their own little world down there in Somerset it would appear.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 21:57:50 »

Swings and roundabouts.....

After my problems in Taunton, it was nice to use my new BITE card in Bonapartes, Temple Meads, this evening with no problems. I bagged a free pint as well. Server forgot to give me a receipt for the last pint of the evening. SSP have a policy that says, "If you get no receipt your order is free." Lovely jubbly.  Wink

I'll let grahame take the floor and explain the issues he had with using his BITE card......
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 22:21:05 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 22:00:11 »

My new BITE card came today.  Unlike the old card it doesnt show the places it is valid on it - only in the letter that accompanied it.  Makes me think they are due to change - wonder if they will be more widely accepted or cut back.....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 12:58:12 »

Swings and roundabouts.....

After my problems in Taunton, it was nice to use my new BITE card in Bonapartes, Temple Meads, this evening with no problems. I bagged a free pint as well. Server forgot to give me a receipt for the last pint of the evening. SSP have a policy that says, "If you get no receipt your order is free." Lovely jubbly.  Wink

I'll let grahame take the floor and explain the issues he had with using his BITE card......

OK ... basically, it seems that the 20% discount applies to Food OR Drink, not to Food AND drink offered as part of a package deal.

* Curry, 6.95.  16 Fl Oz Coke, 2.05 - bought separately with 20% BITE card discount 5.56 and 1.64 = 7.20 in total.
* Curry + Coke together is a "special deal" - 8.95, and "Bite card discounts do NOT apply as it's discounted already". Yeah, by 5p!

Did sort it out with the manager later, who was very helpful. Full story and pictures from the evening: http://www.wellho.net/mouth/3711_Kiss.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 18:16:43 »

Has anyone not received the new card yet?

The post here is incredibly hit and miss if the sender doesn't include the flat number (which doesn't appear in the Royal Mail address file).
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 18:33:39 »

Has anyone not received the new card yet?

The post here is incredibly hit and miss if the sender doesn't include the flat number (which doesn't appear in the Royal Mail address file).

I had my card nearly two weeks ago so they have been sent out for some people. However I have seen elsewhere that some have received their cards whilst others are still waiting. Just a waiting game for now but apparently the old card is still being accepted for the timebeing so should be ok for now
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 18:35:37 »

My new one arrived in about a week.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 18:39:47 »

Same here: I reckon it was about a week to ten days after I applied when mine arrived, a couple of weeks ago.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 21:25:45 »

I spoke too soon.  My new card arrived today.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 21:40:18 »

There's a law about that  Grin
woody

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 22:00:19 »

Applied for mine on the 19th of April,still waiting for it to arrive Sad
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 08:22:54 »

Mine turned up in under a week. When I used it last night for an emergency Burger King at Paddington after a late shift they asked to swipe it on there machine. Are they turning away old cards now?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: