Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 23:01:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracks  (Read 8841 times)
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:30:37 »

Hi all,

Popping into Reading on Saturday, I was taking in all the work happening at the new depot area, and noticed that there is a lot of (for want of a better description) raw track, laid out very roughly along a lot of the length of the construction area. Whilst travelling along looking at said track, it suddenly dawned on me how long each piece is.

Then the inevitable question popped into my head ... how the heck does the track get to the railway ?! It looks way too long to fit on a lorry, so I assume it travels by rail, but then thought its too long to go around the bends, surely Huh

I'm intrigued!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:37:58 »

Network Rail have a special track dropping off train which is made up of a large number of wagons with a sort of framework to transport and deposit large lengths of track, each length spans many wagon lengths i expect someone wil lbe able to find a photo to post on here

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 17:04:24 »

Continuous welded rail (CWR (Continuously Welded Rail)) delivery trains are used to move rail to site, and yes the rail does bend round curves - just like the rail that the trains are running on!

I found a video that explains everything about rail delivery, there's a bit of preamble and it gets going about 4 minutes in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQDlgmyoGPY

For replacement they'll deliver the new rail either between or alongside the running rails as shown, but for a new job such as at Reading they can drop the rail somewhere alongside the nearest operational track, and then it just gets pulled along the ground to where it is needed.  A track construction machine can then deliver and position the new sleepers, and clip the track onto the sleepers as it goes along.

Interesting video here shows what I mean by new track construction - notice that all there is on the ground ahead is a pair of rails:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piBEReyydBU

Rail is delivered from the steelworks in half lengths IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), and is welded up into 216m max lengths at Network Rail sites such as at Eastleigh, they have just started a  rail recycling process as well, where they'll cut the defects out of returned CWR and re-weld it into usable 216m lengths for secondary routes.

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 17:21:55 »

Very true - Tata Steel can supply rail in lengths of 220 metres, or even longer. The maximum length is the length of the delivery train. Going around bends isn't a problem. In lengths like this, without tension, the steel bends easily.

Now, please!
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34:59 »

Hi,

I have another question about tracks that I'm sure lots of people on this forum can answer.

What is the white stuff (looks like paint but may be some thermal compound or something?) that appears to have been applied to the vertical sides of the track at points an don rails around junctions in general.

It appears in various places between Reading and Paddington on my daily commute but I'm guessing is done across the country.

Thanks,

Boppy.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:35:52 »

Continuous welded rail (CWR (Continuously Welded Rail)) delivery trains are used to move rail to site, and yes the rail does bend round curves - just like the rail that the trains are running on!

Er yes, I guess in hindsight that was pretty obvious! LOL (laughing out loud) :-D

Thanks for the info and videos, was very interesting! I could sit and watch them building at Reading all day long, I love seeing how it all develops.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 13:06:23 »

Yes, I'm sure there are a number of us here who find looking at the latest developments at Reading on their way to work more interesting than what they find when they get there!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 13:15:28 »

Hi,

I have another question about tracks that I'm sure lots of people on this forum can answer.

What is the white stuff (looks like paint but may be some thermal compound or something?) that appears to have been applied to the vertical sides of the track at points an don rails around junctions in general.

It appears in various places between Reading and Paddington on my daily commute but I'm guessing is done across the country.

Thanks,

Boppy.

I had noticed this on my journey into reading on the Kennet line and assumed it was something to do with maintenance - we should be told!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 14:54:48 »

Hi,

Thanks,

Boppy.

it is all over the place.  My guess is that it is either:

1) to highlight tripping hazards fro track gangs working at night,  or
2) to reflect the sun and prevent the trackwork heating up, expanding and distorting.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 15:13:50 »

1. is near the mark it's all part of the drive towards the 24/7 railway.

As I understand it, it mainly occurs on switches and crossings and is there to alert tamper drivers that they will have to adjust their tamping to accomodate the extra rails.

On the WCML (West Coast Main Line) the drive towards the 24/7 railway has led to the installation of banks of permanent lights alongside junctions to allow round the clock maintenance. It save having to bring along genrators and stringing lights off poles.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 17:35:41 »

Thanks for the answer eightf48544!

Boppy.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 18:15:59 »

The white paint is applied in the summer months to reduce solar heating of the rails, such a simple thing as painting the rail white reduces track circuit faults and other heat stress related failures.  Solar heating is also why some Loc's (location cabinets the boxes that hold track side signaling equipment) have had addition white hats fitted.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 13:26:17 »

Thanks Electric Train.

Interesting to know that it has such an affect!
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 22:21:48 »

In lengths like this, without tension, the steel bends easily.

Possibly not what you were inferring in you comment FTN, but it may be useful for others if there was something readily available regarding pre-tensioning of CWR (Continuously Welded Rail), which may go some way in explaining the reason behind the speed restriction at Bathampton junction the other week during the warm spell. It was a recently relaid section that may not have been tensioned IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), and possibly not completely tamped.

It's quite interesting how thermal expasion/contraction is compensated for over large sections of solid rail.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 22:29:41 »

As I recall (from over 30 years ago) the rail is fixed so that at a temperature that is 2/3 of the way up the accepted temperatuer range, there is no tension or compression.  So at the lower 2/3 of temperatures the rail is in tension (no problem) and at the higher 1/3 of temperatures it moves in to compression (which is when the risk of buckling starts).  This way the extent of compressive forces are limited.  The process of achiveing this is called destressing. 

If my memory iss playing tricks I am sure someone will correct me.  They might also remember the temperatures concerned. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: