Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 05:21:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Severe delays twixt Oxford and Banbury  (Read 19761 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 19:55:49 »

Catering services were axed on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) much to the anger of commuters, famished after a hard day's work.

I can't imagine many commuters use the on train catering - it would be too expensive (not to mention monotonous) on a regular basis - they'll wait until they get home to eat like everyone else. But hey, don't let that get in the way of a bit of hyperbole.     
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 21:05:40 »

There was absolute chaos at Birmingham New Street. Phil and Celia couldn't cope, meaning that most announcements were made by a stressed member of staff. The screens were all wrong, with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services being advertised as LM (London Midland - recent franchise) and axed trains showing up as on time AND axed! Some trains were being advertisied as departing from "The far end of Platform 3B", something that to baffled staff and the announcer.

Most XC services were affected. Trains from Newcastle heading down to Reading were being turned back to Newcastle, resulting in tired commuters being dumped onto already overcrowded platforms. They were being transferred to the Mancheser to Bournmeouth trains, resulting in sardine conditions.

There was a knock on effect on the CrossCity line, meaning that some trains had all stops to Longbridge axed, and were terminated early at Barnt Green.

An ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) service to the airport was re-platformed literally as the train pulled in, resulting in a mass stampede up and down the stairs- many passengers were families with luggage.

XC reservations coped well, but didn't remove the ones made redundant by the cancelations. Bewildered commuters boarding at Derby wondered why all the seats marked "Reserved from Winchester/Reading/Oxford" were empty and were initially hesitant to sit down.

Catering services were axed on XC much to the anger of commuters, famished after a hard day's work. Luckily, I had been to M&S minutes beforehand... Cool but I was gasping for a cuppa (even at XC prices).

Seriously...? Change the record, please? It's gotten very, very dull. Yawn.

Apologies for sort of feeding the troll...  Undecided
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 21:36:32 »

Catering services were axed on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) much to the anger of commuters, famished after a hard day's work.
Really, I was on a XC service the other night; had a full range of trolley and first class services. Strange, having asked Customer Services (well, technically someone who works for Cross Country CS), they weren't aware that refreshments weren't available.

Strange, very strange.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 22:05:45 »

This just in from the Daily Mail:

There was absolute chaos at Birmingham New Street. Phil and Celia couldn't cope, meaning that most announcements were made by a stressed member of staff. The screens were all wrong, with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services being advertised as LM (London Midland - recent franchise) and axed trains showing up as on time AND axed! Some trains were being advertisied as departing from "The far end of Platform 3B", something that to baffled staff and the announcer.

Most XC services were affected. Trains from Newcastle heading down to Reading were being turned back to Newcastle, resulting in tired commuters being dumped onto already overcrowded platforms. They were being transferred to the Mancheser to Bournmeouth trains, resulting in sardine conditions.

There was a knock on effect on the CrossCity line, meaning that some trains had all stops to Longbridge axed, and were terminated early at Barnt Green.

An ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) service to the airport was re-platformed literally as the train pulled in, resulting in a mass stampede up and down the stairs- many passengers were families with luggage.

XC reservations coped well, but didn't remove the ones made redundant by the cancelations. Bewildered commuters boarding at Derby wondered why all the seats marked "Reserved from Winchester/Reading/Oxford" were empty and were initially hesitant to sit down.

Catering services were axed on XC much to the anger of commuters, famished after a hard day's work.

Oh wait... just another btline post.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 22:12:49 »

Just trying to get this thread back on course....

In cases like this does the railway have any claim against a farmer?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 22:54:05 »

In cases like this does the railway have any claim against a farmer?

From the wording in the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news item I quoted, it would appear not:

Network Rail said it was believed the cows broke through the fence - which it maintains - but said it had no plans to compensate the farmer.

John East, another farmer who operates nearby, told the BBC that Network Rail did not properly maintain its fences. "It takes something like this to happen to get something done quickly," he said.

But a Network Rail spokesman insisted the fences were regularly inspected. "There's nothing you can do if animals decide to stampede," he said.

So, it appears that Network Rail do maintain the fence - up to the point at which it collapses under the weight of a cattle stampede. They therefore seem to accept that it's not a farmer's fault if that happens, so they can't really claim any 'compensation' from a farmer.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 23:54:41 »

I wonder what caused them to stampeed. Shame it was just when a train was coming. Had they waited 20s they would have avoided the bloodbath.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 00:04:20 »

Hmm. I'm not sure stampeding cows follow quite such a logical thought process, Btline.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 00:17:21 »

Whilst NR» (Network Rail - home page) has an obligation to fence its property (probably the only railway in the world with this responsibility - discuss), the type of fencing it has to provide is probably subject to the test of reasonableness in law. A basic fence is probably sufficient in most cases. In some areas, palisade fencing is appropriate. Next to a farm, I would guess that some sort of stock fencing would be required.

However, its probably unreasonable to expect a fence to withstand a stampede of 10 cows, if this was indeed what happened. There is a law which states (basically) that you are responsible for anything which originates on your land and causes damage to your neighbour (the obvious example being a tree on your land which is blown over on to your neighbours property). If the farmer was in some way responsible for the stampede, then NR would have a case. So the question is, what caused the stampede?

Whatever the answer, its unlikely tha NR would get very far without damning evidence. Its probably cheaper just to move on!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 00:25:00 »

Could the cows have been spooked, by lightning for example, I know there has been some particularly wild weather other Oxfordshire in the last few days!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 19:15:17 »

I have been involved in discussions with live stock owners in the past when they complained that the Railway fence was not sufficient to stop there animals getting onto the Railway, the railway fence is not there to pen live stock that responsibility lies with the owner of the animals to provide adequate means to control their animals (a fence for sheep, goats is different to that for cattle or instance) indeed NR» (Network Rail - home page) could claim against the live stock owner

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 23:06:06 »

See an article on the Farmers Weekly website for further details.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 00:46:07 »

This just in from the Daily Mail:

I've been at Birmingham New Street on a similar day of comedy. I was sent to three different platforms by harassed staff who may have believed that the advice they gave me was good at the time it was given. I decided I could probably work it out for myself better, and on the second platform I went to (3b or something) found a XC service with Bristol on the destination board. The train manager confirmed that's where we were going, albeit late. After a while, we set off, not stopping again until we got to Platform 3a.

Eventually, off we went. The conductor came to check tickets en route to Cheltenham. The man behind me, of oriental appearance, asked what time we got to Telford. I didn't hear the reply...

Edited to fix quote. bignosemac.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:26:01 by bignosemac » Logged

Now, please!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 13:36:15 »

Oh dear. I have to say, I've been at BHM when it's been far worse, but Wednesday night was the worst I'd seen it in a long time.

Back before they changed the PIS (Passenger Information System) system, it always coped and flustered commuters were given calm, concise and clear announcements by Phil telling them where to go. Overcrowded - yes. Platform alterations - yes. Cancellations = yes. But clear announcements.

Now, not only is the system unreliable, we have Celia barking on pointlessly about the train FROM Euston terminating. That is NO use to anyone, and besides, it will be going back to Euston in 20 minutes!!! So we have stressed staff members having to tell people manually that their trains are axed and then forgetting to wipe it from the screens.

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Customer Services ... weren't aware that refreshments weren't available.

Ok, perhaps I imagined the announcement saying catering was axed and failed to spot the invisible trolley. Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: