07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 09:23:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with the down sleeper - 10/11 May 12  (Read 5900 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:09:07 »

FGW (First Great Western) Journeycheck is reporting the 23:45 London Paddington to Penzance was terminated at Taunton at 02:52. A relief train was organised to take passengers forward which left at 05:25. However as I type the monitoring system has been waiting over an hour for it to pass Saltash. It may be a glitch but it's been a long night for anyone on the sleeper in any event.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:37:28 »

A hot axle box on the original 57 meant it terminated Taunton with the 57 being shunted into the bay platform there. A rescue loco was sent from Old Oak Common and it departed Taunton at about 0525. Left Truro at 0822, just over an hour later than normally booked.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:43:26 »

Obviously a problem with Live Departures then. It is being shown there as delayed somewhere between Plymouth and the Royal Albert Bridge.  Grin
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:25:42 »

I did see a Class 57 loco heading west through Thatcham early this morning (about 530am) - could this be connected?
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 14:18:14 »

Seems it was 150108 that ran at 0525 from Taunton, arrived into Penzance at 0905, hasn't shown correctly on LDB which is quite common with additional services. 57604 is now dumped at Taunton, probably awaiting road transport. 57602 ran from OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)), passing Thatcham around 0530 sounds about right, and attached to the sleeper stock, either run ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) or with the sleeper passengers still on-board down to Penzance.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 14:34:43 »

It was strange the additional service showed OK on LDB until Plymouth and then vanished.  With a 57 down there "might" be some interesting motive power in use if there are future problems.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 15:12:32 »

Seems it was 150108 that ran at 0525 from Taunton, arrived into Penzance at 0905, hasn't shown correctly on LDB which is quite common with additional services. 57604 is now dumped at Taunton, probably awaiting road transport. 57602 ran from OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)), passing Thatcham around 0530 sounds about right, and attached to the sleeper stock, either run ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) or with the sleeper passengers still on-board down to Penzance.
From what I understand the sleeper passengers were all transferred to 150108. They did however receive their tea and croissants at Plymouth I believe.

I understand 57604 is to be moved to LA on a wheelskate, that was the plan last time I heard anything.

Trundling gently round the SW
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 15:15:32 »

It was strange the additional service showed OK on LDB until Plymouth and then vanished.  With a 57 down there "might" be some interesting motive power in use if there are future problems.
There should be three 57/6 as 57605 is back in service after the altercation with the tree. Not sure if any are away at Brush or if 57604 will be dealt with before it's scheduled appearance at Rail-Fest at York...

Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 16:33:29 »

I understand 57604 is to be moved to LA on a wheelskate, that was the plan last time I heard anything.
15mph move from Taunton to Laira tonight apparently. Better than the coach which had a hot axle box near Newbury recently, that was dumped in a siding at Newbury for a while.
Temple Meads

HST's are the future..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 16:36:36 »

So is the 57 still thought to be at Taunton?

Passenger and  Enthusiast
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 19:51:49 »

So is the 57 still thought to be at Taunton?
At the moment yes. In the West end facing Minehead bay although they will have to haul it out to fit the wheelskate.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 19:54:43 »

Going to take a while to get to Laira at that speed.  Is there a big enough gap in the timetable or will they have to do it "loop by loop"?

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 11:08:39 »

Going to take a while to get to Laira at that speed.  Is there a big enough gap in the timetable or will they have to do it "loop by loop"?

I assume it would have run between 1C32 and 1C99 to Exeter. 80 miles at 15 mph is quite a tall order particularly as the movement has to slow to walking pace over points etc.

Not sure if the move actually took place as I'm not at work today.

EDIT, I gather from posts made in SWRG that 57604 is indeed at LA.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 22:42:40 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 21:57:42 »

EDIT, I gather from posts made in SWRG that 57604 is indeed at LA.
Wheelset on route to LA for repairs to 57604 to be effected.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 22:15:53 »

There was a hired in loco on the up on 13/5 as I understand.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: